i30 Owners Club

Surferdude Heads South into the teeth of the gale.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
All good stuff..Thanks Trev  :happydance: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Episode 4

BTW, this is what I posted earlier regarding the Canberra War Memorial in a separate topic on here.
Today we visited the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, something I have wanted to do for almost all my adult life but for one reason and another it hasn't happened.
A VERY moving experience. I had tears in my eyes on more than one occasion but as we were going back out there was a very overweight guy who looked like he might be suffering a range of health problems, sitting and just looking up past the Eternal Flame and the rears were rolling unhindered down his face. I have no idea what his demons were or if he was just simply moved to be there as I was but the whole place seems to have that sort of effect on anyone old enough to understand why it exists.
If you haven't been there, try to see it before you run out of time on this earth.

We spent the morning in the Canberra City Centre Mall. “Twould have been more colourful a month ago.

Then headed north towards Yass but got side-tracked at Cockington Green on the northern outskirts of Canberra. This is well worth a visit. It is a model village, featuring in the original section, displays from Great Britain plus the more recently added International Section (which also features a couple of Aussie historical models).
I’ll let the photos tell the story I think, but although I’d been there a few years ago, I was fascinated all over again with the attraction of these nicely built models which occasionally feature some weird humour.
The International Section is new and we actually didn’t even realise it was there until we finished the original tour. The displays here are sponsored in the main by the relevant country’s  embassies in Australia.

(click to show/hide)

There's some humour here if you look closely

(click to show/hide)

The International Collection ( a selection)

(click to show/hide)

You can see more here. http://www.cockingtongreen.com.au/index.html

From here, our route took us up to and along the Hume Highway until we turned north to Boorowa and on to Cowra in the NSW Central West. 

Boorowa is a small town but just east of it is a village called Rugby. Don’t know why it’s called that. There’s nothing around to suggest a link to the football game. But nearby in Boorowa they make those machines on wheels the rugby teams use to train for their scrums.

Cowra is noted for its roses among other things. It was the scene during the second world war of the great Cowra Breakout when several hundred Japanese prisoners of war broke out of the prison camp there. Several Australian soldiers were killed and over 200 Japanese. The few hundred who escaped were recaptured within a week or two.
It became the subject of a pretty well done (IMO) mini-series for TV here in Australia.. Probably 30 years ago now though.

Anyway, I’ve been to Cowra many times on business and I like it. So it was nice to show it to my wife who has only passed through there briefly once. And I got some brownie points back by using a motel I was familiar with and well above average (made up for picking “the chook inn” the previous night).

Early the next day we headed north via Canowindra (pronounced “Canowndra” by the locals), the scene of many hot air ballooning gatherings. It’s well known for the lack of wind and ideally suited to ballooning.

We passed just to the west of Orange but separated from it by a range and Mount Canobolas with its forest of TV and communications towers, picking up the Mitchell Highway at Molong and then north to Wellington. I can recommend the Wellington Caves to anyone passing through. They are quite surprising really. Not in the side of a mountain. You pull up in a pretty level area which just looks like a paddock and enter the caves from ground level. It’s a long while since I’ve been there but I remember them fondly.

Frome here we left the beaten track, passing through the “ten dollar town” of Gulgong just north of Mudgee’s vineyards, and on through Coolah to Gunnedah. We had lunch in Gunnedah and pressed on to Tamworth of country music festival fame, then to Armidale and on to Glen Innes. Along the way we passed signs to Lake Keepit. Next morning we saw on the news that a 4.2 magnitude quake (two in fact) had rocked Gunnedah, Tamworth and Lake Keepit the night before. I didn’t think I was driving that fast. :snigger:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Interesting write-up & great photos.
I spotted the humour  :lol:
Good to see you had no more encounters with strange blondes too  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for all that effort Trev.. I saw the Humour too... :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I should finish this off. Sorry. Got lazy.
We had a good night in Glen Innes. My wife and I spent a night there some years ago and froze. Not surprisingly a week after we went through this time it got down to -7C and even cooler a few days (nights) later.

Our next stop was Tenterfield which we visited briefly last year and spent just enough time there to want to go back and explore it a bit.

Tenterfield has a pretty big place in Australia's history, not just because it was the venue for the autobiographical Peter Allen song, "Tenterfield Saddler". It was also the venue for the famed speech Sir Henry Parkes made in the Tenterield School of Arts.
On a (rail) trip back to Sydney from Brisbane, the then NSW Premier he delivered a speech advocating the "federation" of the Australian states. This was on 24th October 1889. Widely reported with the catchcry, "One People. One Destiny" he won immortality as the father of federation. Which of course, took quite a few more years to be realised.

The School of Arts has a great museum of objects, photos, and stories from the era. It's surprising how viscious and embittered the "for" and "against" factions were. Sound familiar. Republic anyone?

Anyway, some pics follow. We drove on from here to Brisbane via Stanthorpe and Cunningham's Gap down the range and into Brisbane.

The Tenterfield School of Arts

(click to show/hide)

As  you can see, a clean, tidy and attractive town.

Tenterfield Sadler by Peter Allen.

Words of the song.............

(click to show/hide)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Very interesting,  :thanx:
And no to a republic  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We liked Glen Innes and Tenterfield  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Very interesting,  :thanx:
And no to a republic  :D

:rofl: :rofl:
The West Australians were dead set against federation for ages too.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
:lol:
All praise to King Charles   :rofl:

Not this little black duck  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If that happens, there will be 1 boat person, going in the other direction.  :fum:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:rofl:
I actually tend to agree.
I was a big Diana fan though.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I have never been a Charles fan. I'm told his reaction to becoming an grandfather was not positive. Too many people in the world, carbon dioxide etc was the response.  :fum:

But apparently it's ok for him to fly his own jet 4 engines, here there and everywhere, the guy's lost it IMO.  :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal