i30 Owners Club

First Thoughts

Offline naughtynat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• Naughty but Nice
Probably should actually have a specific area in for forums for people to write about their experiences with their i30 so prospective people can read them all and make informed decisions. Anyway...

Finally picked up the i30 on Saturday.

So far so good, except got some finance stuff to sort out because I think the dealer didnt quite do what I asked and what they said - but that is a different story.

Firstly, I wonder why I didnt get an i30 earlier. I have been very happy with mine of 3 days!

The handling of the car is the first thing that gets me. Most cars are a bit vague on the road - the i30 you can really feel it. Now for some they may not like it because the steering is a bit heavier but I love it.

I have done about 600kms and taking it back to Perth on the weekend for the 1K service but I think I will be over that in the week! I seem to be going to long way to everything.

For fuel economy I am not really going to even bother with this at the moment till probably about 5k to give the motor a bit of time to settle in.

I wish I had of been able to afford the SLX model with the 16" rims, CC, and few other goodies, but the SX is still great, although I think the rear spoiler is mandatory and makes it look much better.

So enough woffle, the good, the bad & the ugly.

Good:
Excellent handling
Direct feel on the road
Holds the line excellently even with highspeed cornering (140-150kms thru 8kms of 90kms bends although standard tyres not great)
reasonable fuel economy so far
some say overtaking on the highway can be a bit of an effort but I found it very good.
excellent layout of equipment means everything is within touch
ability to "dark" stereo for less cabin light.
seats so far are very good, okay they arent perfect but the car is 22K! so they are very good for the price, nice and comfy but good support too

average:
the lights are not bad but not good either, I will be getting some Lightforce 170s on the car
aircon seems to struggle a little bit when its very hot - 40+ - so this might become a real issue in the future as we have plenty of these!

Bad:
nothing too much, there is a bit of a whistle at around 125-135kmh which is a bit annoying. will play with a few things to see if can fix this.
first is a bit short imo - but maybe with the trailer it will be handy
I thought they had a power connection in the boot - but I cant seem to find it!
driving on some gravel roads and seemed to get a bit inside the cabin - will have to check this out because I would expect better.

OVERALL:
Excellent car, go the SLX if you can, and enjoy.

What where your first thoughts? and how have they changed?

I hope to be able to update this everyone 5k so anyone interested can get a bit of a running commentary and also those looking at purchase can get a good overview of all the bits and pieces over time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good post thanks...

Haven't heard anyone say overtaking a problem (unless in the wrong gear - that is the CRDi's strong point!!!)

Have to agree with the solid feel on the road (like that too- very reasuring)

Yes lights only average Philips +80 or Osram equivilents make a difference too..

Surprised the Aircon is struggling for you (Try dropping all four windows for about a minute before driving off) Then put them back up ...

- Feedback from most others in hot climates is good ..

and yes the SLX is nice.. :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm as happy as the day i picked mine up [and so is the wife with her cw] only the cw has a power outlet in the rear,not the hatch.  :mad: try using your aircon in recirculate mode after it starts to blow cold air and with windows down a bit to get the warm air out ,[then put back up] like Dazz said.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline naughtynat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia

• Naughty but Nice
Yeah I think the person who wrote about the overtaking issue, must have just been doing a "review" without driving the car and just assuming it was a problem. I found it just online somewhere - not sure exactly - but yes that definitely isnt an issue. And overtaking in 5th is nice to no need to change back down.

Doing a few hundred kms night driving tonight so will see how it goes. Might try what you have suggested before I go and spend a fair bit more getting the lightforce setup.

Yeah I will try a few things with the aircon. Do "do" the windows as suggested. I think I just dont like how the vents are setup or something. Bit more playing around with and we will see.

Its a bugger about the rear power socket I am sure I read that it had one :-(

1k service is tomorrow and after a weekend in Perth will have a few more things to add to the post. thanks for your input.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal