i30 Owners Club

Service Interval and cost

bdennis · 125 · 95970

mick55
I had a Mitsubishi Magna V6 the book said 15,000 km service intervals, I did 226,000km without a problem with by the book service and the vehicle still had plenty of life in it when I sold it, so I think 15,000 km service intervals for modern vehicles is not unreasonable, but the Mitsubishi service centre started the 7,500 crap as well, which I ignored. The 7,500 interval is for suckers unless you have driven or used the vehicle in the manner indicated in the service manual.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
meh, you cant over service a car...

doesnt hurt to change the oils/fluids earlier than indicated/inspect the car

your just going to catch any problems well before they develop...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've got both our cars booked in for their 21,500km/12 month services next Saturday. both cars are going to cost $175 each.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From my reading at bob the oil guy, it would appear that with good fully synthetic oil changing the oil/filter at 7,500k is overkill.

Now there might be an I30 out there which is doing it really tough that needs it, so I won't say that you shouldn't do it, but if you look at the used oil analysis over there there are some cars doing over 20,000k on the same oil, with reports saying all is good. Most are hitting 15,000k easily. So if I was going to do anything at 7,500k I would suck out some oil out and get an analysis and see what's actually going on inside. This will also show up any unseen problems and is cheaper than an unnecessary oil/filter change (and better for the environment too).

As for my I30, the service sticker reads due: 7,500 or November 2010 and it is booked in for its 15,000k service on Thursday (not at the dealer but that's another story).I have done my research and purchased my own oil (it was my second choice after the currently impossible to locate German Castrol). I do 95% easy highway miles 120km/h @ 2600rpm about 65km each way to and from work, so the car has a nice easy life. Given that, I will not service it every 15,000k.

From what I have read, based on used oil reports, If you put the money into good synthetic oil up front there is no justification for a 7,500k service. I'm not here to get into an argument, read for yourself and make your own decisions. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

If you still want to get it done, its your car, your money, and your creating employment in hardish times. None of which is bad!
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Pip
beerman, some of what you have written WRT intervals and servicing does not make sense. You might like to reread and edit if required...

I think you are saying that intermediate services are not required for a lighty challenged engine. Yes I agree and have written as much here also. Even so, for the cost of the oil only, I have decided to do them myself. I don't bother with the filter so it is just literally the oil cost and 10 minutes of my time.

A waste of oil? Possibly (and probably) but I intend to keep the car a long time so for me it is cheap insurance... just in case!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal