Service Interval and cost

bdennis · 125 · 95972

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
I've had my car for 10 days and it's going in today for it's 1000km service (I think I've done about 1250km).  I have the CDRi diesel.

The dealership told me that I can get the car serviced at any VACC approved mechanic instead of taking it back to them, which will be handy.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Cazza

• 2nd Gear
Hi! Anyone in Brisbane who services their car with their dealers? And if so how much? I don't want to go back to my dealer after all the experiences... but I know for warranty work I'll have to...

Few qns:
1. Can I service it via Ultratune or my friendly neighbourhood cheapo garage (VACC approved) and ask them to use Hyundai genuine products? Will this void the warranty?
2. If I service it at another dealer besides the one I bought it from (they quoted me $250 for servicing... a bit much...), will I get like super bad service?

Thanks!

Caz

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi! Anyone in Brisbane who services their car with their dealers? And if so how much? I don't want to go back to my dealer after all the experiences... but I know for warranty work I'll have to...

Few qns:
1. Can I service it via Ultratune or my friendly neighbourhood cheapo garage (VACC approved) and ask them to use Hyundai genuine products? Will this void the warranty?
2. If I service it at another dealer besides the one I bought it from (they quoted me $250 for servicing... a bit much...), will I get like super bad service?

Thanks!

Caz

Hi Caz,

As far as I am aware you can use any qualified mechanical service as long as they use genuine parts as per the service schedule..

I don't think another dealer will give you bad service because you bought the vehicle from someone else (in fact they would welcome you with open arms as servicing is their "bread and butter" at the moment.)

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Well, got my 30k service done today - nothing wrong apart from the drivers footrest starting to come loose! $440.30 total cost - better than the $490 I was quoted.  One thing though, as I've said in another thread - 2 front tyres worn out, rear two not far off. With only 31,500km on the clock, its pretty poor mileage! The elcheapo tyres I used to have on my VT got 40-60,000km easily!

Other costs: Air Filter $37.62, Oil Filter $24.20, Brake Fluid $11.15, Filter Cartridge $102.88, Oil $49.03

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Well, got my 30k service done today - nothing wrong apart from the drivers footrest starting to come loose! $440.30 total cost - better than the $490 I was quoted. 

Other costs: Air Filter $37.62, Oil Filter $24.20, Brake Fluid $11.15, Filter Cartridge $102.88, Oil $49.03

Just for clarification - Does the total cost $440.30 include the "Other costs"?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well, got my 30k service done today - nothing wrong apart from the drivers footrest starting to come loose! $440.30 total cost - better than the $490 I was quoted.  One thing though, as I've said in another thread - 2 front tyres worn out, rear two not far off. With only 31,500km on the clock, its pretty poor mileage! The elcheapo tyres I used to have on my VT got 40-60,000km easily!

Interesting... I switched my tyres from Front to back at 20,000 , done over 30,000 now and reckon I've still got 15,000 to 20,000 left... (you must drive harder than me)   :eek:
Filter Cartridge $102.88 :question: Fuel Filter I wonder... You paid slightly more for your oil filter than me but less for your air filter (about the same for the two combined)

I supplied my own oil $39.95, they didn't replace my brake fluid..

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Just for clarification - Does the total cost $440.30 include the "Other costs"?

Yep final price -other costs all included ($12 environment levy & $157.70 for actually peforming the service, $3.90 for oil plug & $1.77 for windscreen washer sachet)

Dazz, heres what they did:
Replace oil & oil filter
check all fluid levels
replace air filter element
replace brake & clutch fluid
inspect cooling system incl radiator && hoses
Check power steering pump & hoses
check battery & terminals
Check belts, crankcase vent hoses
replace fuel filter, inspect fuel system lines & connections
Another 20 or so inspections which I cant be bothered typing lol
lubicate hinges bonnet letch etc, and full system scan

Phew :)

I'll admit I dont slow down for some cornering as much as I should, but otherwise I'm not a hoon driver, so the tyres have me a bit bamboozled! Maybe the extreme hot weather we had here in Victpria softened them up a bit, with more used? Thats all I can think of :(

Offline dan100

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leeds

• Leeds, England.
Now I am worried. Bought my 1.6 CRDi March 1st this year. Dealer made no mention of 1000 km check and no mention of it in service record book. So my car has not had one and has done 2600 miles. Should I be worried? And can confirm that recommended servicing for the diesels is now 12500 miles or 12 months.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Now I am worried. Bought my 1.6 CRDi March 1st this year. Dealer made no mention of 1000 km check and no mention of it in service record book. So my car has not had one and has done 2600 miles. Should I be worried? And can confirm that recommended servicing for the diesels is now 12500 miles or 12 months.
Check with your dealer ASAP is all I can say. Here in Oz the 1000km service is a free service, just to make sure everythings ok, and to replace the first run in batch of oil. Find out before u possibly void your warranty!

Pip
Check with your dealer ASAP is all I can say. Here in Oz the 1000km service is a free service, just to make sure everythings ok, and to replace the first run in batch of oil. Find out before u possibly void your warranty!
Different countries will have slightly different regimes.  Oz service intervals are 15,000km (bit under 10,000 miles) with an optional oil change at half that.  The initial inspection we do here may not be done in your country.  Here, the factory fill oil is NOT changed until the 15,000km service unless you opt for the intermediate service.  AFAIK the factory fill is not "run-in" oil but normal oil - else they wouldn't expect it to last 15,000km.

I'd get the factory fill oil dumped before I hit the first service because I personally would treat it as "run-in" oil anyway.  About where you are at, Dan, would be a good time to change that first batch of oil.  :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Don't be worried.

The first service is not due until 12500 miles, then every 12500 after that.

I made this enquiry as I was picking Fergie up but they really do not want (or need) to see you before the 12500 interval.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

No intermediate check in UK.

1st stop at dealers for service is 12 months or 10/12,000 miles

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yep final price -other costs all included ($12 environment levy & $157.70 for actually peforming the service, $3.90 for oil plug & $1.77 for windscreen washer sachet)

Dazz, heres what they did:

replace fuel filter, inspect fuel system lines & connections

Phew :)

I'll admit I dont slow down for some cornering as much as I should, but otherwise I'm not a hoon driver, so the tyres have me a bit bamboozled! Maybe the extreme hot weather we had here in Victpria softened them up a bit, with more used? Thats all I can think of :(

Strange how they replaced Fuel filter at 30,000 (book says 60,000 although I think some others have had it changed at 30,000)

I was quoted around $130 to buy one of those from my local Hyundai dealer..

Think you might be right about the heat (not generally an issue down here)

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
I figured this..
Given the purchase price is $2500 more for a Diesel. Depending on price of fuel and driving they say to recoup the cost you need to own for 6-10 years. So if we assume that on resale we recover at least $1200 more than a Petrol, then you only need to have owned it for 1/2 of the aformentioned time. So in theory you break even (realisticly) at 3-5 years..

i'm presuming though how many kilometres actually done would still play some part? if by say the 4 year mark i've only done 50k and then wish to sell, would i recoup that initial cost i've laid out plus higher services and possibly higher bowser costs (diesel about the same price as petrol currently).
 initial cost is $2800 difference i think so somehow i don't think so... i don't have the head for math  :rolleyes:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Again snowcherry ..

As much as i love my Diesel Manual sounds like for the $ you want to spend and the kilometres you will do etc.. the petrol version would do just fine...

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
you're a smart man Dazz, i was thinking definantly the same thing  :D

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Got my car from 15000k service.

15.000 km.................. 21100 kr ......... £109.8 ....... 221.4$
Oil filter....................... 1219 kr .......... £6.3 .......... 12.8$
Air filter....................... 2860 kr .......... £14.8 ........ 30$
? filter.......................... 5381 kr .......... £28 .......... 56.4$
Total with 24,5% tax .... 35716 kr ........ £185.7 ...... 374.6$

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Those prices don't seem too bad Hemmi considering the cost of living in Iceland ..

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Those prices don't seem too bad Hemmi considering the cost of living in Iceland ..

They don't seem bad to you maybe, but my salary is in Icelandic Kronas, 2 years ago same salary was worth 2-3 times more than it is today :(

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say :wink:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
They don't seem bad to you maybe, but my salary is in Icelandic Kronas, 2 years ago same salary was worth 2-3 times more than it is today :(

Wow, and here's me annoyed because we won't make bonuses this year! Hard luck Hemmi :(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say :wink:

No wonder you been eating that same piece of gum for several weeks... :eek: :'(

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Just organised my 12 month service (yes lads and ladettes, it's a year since I got mine now too :exclaim:) and I have been quoted £115 for the full works (this includes a 10% discount which I received from my dealer for being a thoroughly nice chap and buying one of their cars :mrgreen:).

Will post a breakdown for the 1.6 petrol after the service which is booked for 26.06.09.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Will post a breakdown for the 1.6 petrol after the service which is booked for 26.06.09.

Fergie's booked in for the 25000 miler this Friday 29th. I'll replace this post with my breakdown.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Fergie's booked in for the 25000 miler this Friday 29th. I'll replace this post with my breakdown.

My 2nd year isn't due until September but been quoted in the region of just over £230 as they say it's the full works, change of fluids etc.

Be interested on what they do and price.

ps don't forget to ask grade of oil - remember C3.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

ps don't forget to ask grade of oil - remember C3.

Bumpkins is a petrol .. different oil requirements (not so dear)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
See this post for a continuation of this, with problems reported

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Got my car 2 days ago from 30k service.

Total cost was 47000isk, 244gbp, 407aud.

One of my reversing sensors is faulty, I got the car booked for repair 20th of March.

I noticed it few weeks ago that when I put in reverse it peeped 3 times 3 peeps, ... ... ... ,

Then one day it suddenly it stopped and now its just regular one peep like it's supposed to be.

According to the mechanic the sensor on the right side is faulty.

I wonder if the middle sensor would generate 3 peeps 2 times , ... ... , and the first one 3 peeps one time, ... , if faulty.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
car is booked in for tuesday for 6 month or 7500k service (its 7 months old and at 10000 ks)
sticker on my windscreen says (from 1000k service) 'next service april or 15000'

hyundai lady seemed a bit annoyed about this though and said sticker is in error and wanted to put me off until car hit 15000 and skip 6 month service as i've hit 10000 k's already. i insisted though as i had been waiting for "april" per sticker and i have some quibbles i'd really like the service so she is putting it in as the 7500ks.

to be honest i haven't really paid much attention to the book, just followed the sticker. have i really gone too far over?

Pip
..have i really gone too far over?
You are (so far) averaging greater than 15km/yr so you should do scheduled services at 15,000Km intervals and forget the date, that fits Hy's schedule fine.

The only question you should have to consider is whether you want to do optional 7,500km oil changes as well.

If you had decided yes to intermediate oil changes, then yes, you missed it. :wink:

I do intermediate changes, some do, some don't. The book describes driving situations where you should do intermediate services. Good oil will last 15,000km assuming no harsh driving conditions overrides that.

You didn't ask but I would take some interest in the oil used to ensure it is "good" and just do 15,000km services. I'm also assuming you do not need to do the intermediate changes due to the sort of driving you do.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
mine is done every 7500kms and now its due for its 6 month or 15000km service.I've only done 14500 but the sticker on my car says April service is due [6 months or 7500 what ever comes first] so next Saturday shes in for her service.you can/will void your warranty if the services aren't done when the time or kms come and if the car has a major hick up down the track you may be in the poo as the dealer may refer back to servicing not being carried out at the recommended periods. IMO.   :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal