i30 Owners Club

Oil change at 1000kms or Not

phuney · 12 · 5786

Offline phuney

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• Hobart, Tasmania
My new i30 is coming up to it's first service and according to the service book they don't change the oil at the first service. I haven't had a new car in a long while so am not up to date but it used to be vital that the oil and filter where changed at the 1,000km mark.

Should I request an oil change or would it be overkill. I know that there will be a charge for this where the normal service is free. I am a little unsure about not changing the oil for 15,000 kms especially in a new car.

Thoughts please.  :question:

Offline i30 Roolz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I did the oil and filter change at 1,000km.

For the sake of $60, I decided that the long-term health of my engine was more important.

Probably overkill - but I feel better, so in my case, it was $60 well spent.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I didn't realise that they didn't change the oil and filter until I picked the car up. Instead I just went with the optional 7,500km service, and then the 15,000.

Next I have to decide if I want to bother with a 22,500 or not...........

Regards

Daniel

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I didn't realise that they didn't change the oil and filter until I picked the car up. Instead I just went with the optional 7,500km service, and then the 15,000.

Next I have to decide if I want to bother with a 22,500 or not...........

Regards

Daniel

I didn't get my 7500km one done, because I changed the oil myself at 2500km. Bought a Hyundai branded oil filter for the sake of making it look genuinely like a Hyundai department had done it!

Will change it again at 10000km, then I'll take it to the required 15000km, taking my own oil.

Now that's overkill!  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I went to 7,500 then 15,000 then 30,000 - always use genuine Hyundai filters...

If it was important to change the oil at 1,000 I'm sure they would specify it... (they are confident enough to offer a 5year unlimited Km warranty in Australia...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my dealer told me if i want oil done at 1000kms service its $50,but it wont get oil and filter again until 15,000 so i dont mind paying for peace of mind.[oil and filter $50 isnt bad]
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
my dealer told me if i want oil done at 1000kms service its $50,but it wont get oil and filter again until 15,000 so i dont mind paying for peace of mind.[oil and filter $50 isnt bad]

The diesel would be a bit dearer (closer to $75) is my guestimate
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In UK there is no service until the 12 month, 10,000 miles service.

Fluids not changed until then.

We do not get an interim service at 1,000 miles.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
In UK there is no service until the 12 month, 10,000 miles service.

Fluids not changed until then.

We do not get an interim service at 1,000 miles.
Your first and subsequent services would be at 16,000Km boundaries which is near enough the same as 15,000Km used in other countries.

The new oils are capable of that distance but some will be better than others but any that are to the manufacturers specification should do 15,000Km or 16,000Km, at least without a failure that will show before the warranty is up.   :wink:

But here the question is whether the first oil should be changed early or not:
In the "olden days" the initial oil used was a relatively thin oil that was supposed to give sufficient protection if driven carefully while still allowing some film break-down for some metal-to-metal contact between the pistons (rings) and the cylinders to "hone" (wear) to an extremely smooth and intimate contact to minimise "blow-by" of combusted gases past the compression rings.  If nothing more terminal kills the engine, it is ring seal that probably eventually determines its end of life... so it's good to start off with a good seal!  This was and is still known as the break-in or run-in period. This oil was always changed out early for something more robust to arrest any further wear after the run-in. Most of this I suspect was guess work. Whatever, engines didn't last that long anyway probably due to crappy metallurgy, crappy oil and crappy design.  :'( 

A secondary reason for draining the run-in oil was to flush out any metal bits that were either the result of the run-in or the original factory machining which can leave lots of swarf. Of little direct comparison here, I agree, but just a personal observation; I only ever rebuilt two engines and that was a long time ago :rolleyes: I had the blocks re-bored, crank journals done etc. and I remember I needed to wipe them over repeatedly with a kerosene (parafin) filled rag before it was free of visible sparkles before I rebuilt them. There would have remained plenty I could not see. Bear in mind that quite a few cars were built in the old days that did not have any oil filter to trap these metal bits.

Again, I have no personal knowledge of today's engines but I read that they are very clean and do not require special treatment during the run-in and do not need the factory fill oil changed before the standard period.

You can make up your own mind, me I changed the first oil about 7,000Km and probably wonder why I waited.  :-[

A few bob won't break you!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I agree there should be at least an interim service to "flush" out the cr*p.

But with a 5 year warranty the risk is with HY UK so long as my service schedule is followed and recorded correctly.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
But with a 5 year warranty the risk is with HY UK so long as my service schedule is followed and recorded correctly.
That's one way to look at it, and if you were not planning to keep the car long term, not unreasonable.  However, I suspect your personal interest runs deeper than this though.  :)

Me, I'm very interested in doing anything that prolongs its life and keeps it in tip-top condition for my own enjoyment and also to present well when I do sell it.

Offline phuney

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks for all the replies.

I don't go through cars that often, the last one was a 20 year old corolla with 300,000 on it before it died. So I will have this for a good while and therefore an oil change seems like the way to go.

thanks again

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal