i30 Owners Club

SERVICE

Bluey · 4 · 2343

Offline Bluey

• 1st Gear
I have had my first service at 1000 k's my dealer has put a sticker with the next service at 7500 in the book it says 15000 k's are they generating revenue or is it dinkum
bluey

Pip
>> are they generating revenue or is it dinkum?

Yes and yes.
It also says in the book that intermediate services are recommended for a variety of harsh driving conditions. The service guy can't tell if you qualify so takes the easy (and greater income) route of assuming you do.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
yep 7,500kms per service,
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Pip
If you search here, this has been discussed a few times. You will find opinions stretching from using cheap (read probably most dealer) oils to the best oils one can buy for either the maximum interval or changed at half or even one third intervals.

All are correct.

Which you decide to go with depends a little on your driving conditions and a lot on how long you want to keep the engine in best nick. If you are likely to write the car off or sell it before you do a lot of miles then you may elect to do the least to maintain the warranty - maximum intervals and dealer oil. Easy.

On the other end of the scale is someone like me. I keep my cars for a long time (15+ years maybe) so I use good oil and I also decided to do intermediate changes as well. I'm a capable mechanic (not that it requires any skill at all) and I do my own half-interval oils changes. 

I take my oil of choice to the dealer for the major services and he discounts me his charge for oil. The difference between his normal charge for oil and my top-shelf oil I buy myself is surprisingly little.

Form your own a maintenance strategy based on all the information you get but as I've said before: you won't get into trouble for changing the oil too often.  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal