i30 Owners Club

Improvised ball joint splitter

Online BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
If anyone watches TV shows like Wheeler Dealers, you know how easy it is to separate a lower ball joint. After removing the ball joint nut, give the steering knuckle a tap with a hammer and the ball joint just pops out. In my experience, that's not how it works in real life.

I have a ball-joint splitter but it's impossible to fit around the ball joint on an i30 FD. I used my trolley jack and some rope to apply force to push the ball joint out, and a dozen hard whacks with a lump hammer finally made it pop out.

• i30 CRD

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
If anyone watches TV shows like Wheeler Dealers, you know how easy it is to separate a lower ball joint. After removing the ball joint nut, give the steering knuckle a tap with a hammer and the ball joint just pops out. In my experience, that's not how it works in real life.

I have a ball-joint splitter but it's impossible to fit around the ball joint on an i30 FD. I used my trolley jack and some rope to apply force to push the ball joint out, and a dozen hard whacks with a lump hammer finally made it pop out.

Agree.  I'd love to see their Swear Jar behind the cameras.  Good tip, thanks

And, any opportunity to use a lump hammer on a car should not be lost...it's payback for every bruised knuckle and crap endured when working on them.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal