i30 Owners Club

First service

Poll

Is 40 miles (64km) reasonable for my i30 to be driven by the dealership as part of a standard service?

NO: It's totally unreasonable
15 (83.3%)
YES: It's normal
2 (11.1%)
DON'T KNOW: I never check the odometer
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Well the day of the first service has arrived...   although this post is not so much about the service, I mean, how can I tell what's been done?  Oh yeah the oils clean, so that's been changed and the car's been cleaned (part of the deal).  

I asked if the technician would set the doors to auto-lock at five miles per hour.  The guy said the doors are set to lock, but that the slower speed for this is twenty miles per hour and I am in no position to dispute this cos there's no Hayes workshop manual and anything else would be miles to techi for me.  Anyhow, there locking at roughly 10.15 MPH.

None of that is significant really, just routine stuff to keep within warranty, no what has really REALLY p*ss*d me off is when I got moving and looked at my fuel gauge, then the odometer I am a couple of gallons of fuel adrift and there's an extra forty miles on the clock bloody long test drive that isn't it.

JUst to put this into perspective, I am retired and live off two meagre pensions.  Gone are the foreign holidays, theatre trips and other luxuries so I can't really afford to have someone stealing my petrol.

very upset

asathorny

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I would question the length of that "test drive" right away.

When I had my steering rattle diagnosed they took her on a 4 mile trip - that's the longest anyone else has driven my beaut.

There might have been a very good reason - maybe they had run out of chamois and needed to dry your car off. Only joking.

Get them called back.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I asked if the technician would set the doors to auto-lock at five miles per hour.  The guy said the doors are set to lock, but that the slower speed for this is twenty miles per hour
 Anyhow, there locking at roughly 10.15 MPH.

Mine lock at 15 mph

what has really REALLY p*ss*d me off is when I got moving and looked at my fuel gauge, then the odometer I am a couple of gallons of fuel adrift and there's an extra forty miles on the clock bloody long test drive that isn't it.

Chip shop run!!!

Does seem a long test drive.
Pity you don't have one of those security camera's which records all trips, 
Posted elsewhere on site when garage mech took high powered car for a blast and the garage denied until the owner produced the film!!!!

I'd be back asking for an explaination.

I think mine usually has a couple of miles on the clock, if that.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hope you don't mind, Asa, I've added a wee poll to your post. It would be interesting to see what other members feel about this "additional charge" (which is what the usage amounts to).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
There can be no reason at all do drive more than 2-5 miles for a road test. I would ring the dealer and demand to speak to the Service Manager and also the MD. I would also ask for them to send me the money for the fuel. A total disgrace  :evil:

Who is the dealer  :question:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hope you don't mind, Asa, I've added a wee poll to your post. It would be interesting to see what other members feel about this "additional charge" (which is what the usage amounts to).

No that's fine shambles....  it'll be interesting to hear what the guys and gals have to say.

Although my ire is up right now, I do have this problem with inertia, so, it's like shrug of the shoulders and b*ll*cks to it.  I know, that's wrong, tomorrow I may give myself a good shake and sit here and write on of my splenetic letters in which I would say that this whole deal of (stealing from customers) is being aired in the owners forum.  This may make someone there feel as miffed as I do here :-)

Waddia think gang, is that the route to take.   I know it's only ten or twelve UKP, but bloody hell it's the principal.

asathorny

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
There can be no reason at all do drive more than 2-5 miles for a road test. I would ring the dealer and demand to speak to the Service Manager and also the MD. I would also ask for them to send me the money for the fuel. A total disgrace  :evil:

Who is the dealer  :question:

The dealer is Hyundai Manchester.....  and your right, there is no excuse for it.   Thanks to everyone for the support.  The snotty letter is looking more likely by the moment.

asathorny

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Asa..

I would be pi$$ed off too.. (Not the money but the principle) I would ring them 1st and if that doesn't work then send then a snotty letter (with lots of snot on it  :rofl:)

Even if you don't get a result it will help you to release your anger and disappointment!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
id almost bet the car was used to go to another dealers to pick up parts for your service,or another cars part. :rolleyes:   :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I reckon the snotty letter is the go...but, I'll be surprised if it gets you anywhere as no-one is likely to own up to taking your car for what amounts to a joyride... :-\

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
I'm a little confused Asathorny .... Are we all talking about the 'real first service' ? which is 1000km here in Aus: and is basically a look at the engine and check all fluid levels, check wheel nuts and tyre pressures etc: and anything you feel may require adjusting such as you mentioned the HALO system .... the engine oil is not replaced and the service is totally free.

If you've reported something like a vibration problem at high speed ? the mechanic may have had to go for a burn down the motorway at 70 or 80mph to identify the problem ? and it wouldn't take too long to knock up 40+ miles ? ... just a thought  :) I hope they give you a proper explanation  :cool:.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I'm a little confused Asathorny .... Are we all talking about the 'real first service' ? which is 1000km here in Aus: and is basically a look at the engine and check all fluid levels, check wheel nuts and tyre pressures etc: and anything you feel may require adjusting such as you mentioned the HALO system .... the engine oil is not replaced and the service is totally free.

If you've reported something like a vibration problem at high speed ? the mechanic may have had to go for a burn down the motorway at 70 or 80mph to identify the problem ? and it wouldn't take too long to knock up 40+ miles ? ... just a thought  :) I hope they give you a proper explanation  :cool:.

This is the first service, i.e. oil change and check levels, as you say.  The one which gets stamped in the service handbook to validate the 5 year warranty...   :-)

asathorny

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Ozbrum..From previous discussions on here I don't think they have to go back in at 1000km/600miles for an inspection in the UK ...so their first service is something like 12,500 miles??

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
Thanks Asathorny, I have clearer picture now, We call the 'first look in' a service and they stamp our log book for that too  :).

Thanks to you too Dazz  :) for your explanation I understand now and we're all on the same page again  :lol:.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I took the dream machine out today, just a routine shopping trip ya know, fresh bread n stuff...    The fuel gauge didn't look as dramatically low as it did last evening, and to be honest I didn't actually check the mileage prior to leaving it.

The short of it is, I am gonna write this one down to experience, and next time I have to go to any garage I will be writing the mileage down, or even getting the person serving to check it with me.  I know, I know, I am a wimp, but I'm not in the best of health and don't need to aggro :-(.

On a brighter note as i was returning to my car from one of the shops I saw a guy, who'd parked his car next to mine, looking at my shiny red dream machine, he stood looking so long that I got back whilst he was still looking at it.   He said 'I'm thinking of trading in this year...' I said 'best car I have ever had this...'

So his approbation of my shiny red one cheered me up great deal....  Also, it's a very satisfying clunk as I reach about ten miles per hour now as the doors lock.  Trying to minimise the chances of being car jacked, which seems to be the only why to steal cars these days with all the security features.

Thanks to everyone for the support and the words, just nice to not be alone with these irritating little problems....

asathorny 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks to everyone for the support and the words, just nice to not be alone with these irritating little problems....
asathorny 

Good on you Asa ..whatever you feel comfortable with  :goodjob: Great story about your car admirer too..  :mrgreen:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Well it pays to get it of your chest, as they say.

No problem, I know where your coming from.

I've had problems as well with a certain dealer, not with this Hyundai but with a Ford dealer. Took car for service, every thing working okay. The following week aircon stopped working.  Dealer asked £99 to top up which I paid. I wrote to my local news paper not mentioning the garage name, two days later lots of letters saying they had same sort of problem. News paper asked us to tell them the name of the dealer. The news paper then contacted us telling us that all the aircon problems concerned the same garage. The news paper published it on their front page 'Main dealer ripping off its customers with aircon refill scam' Wow, that did the trick, we all got a full refund along with a personal letter from the MD and a free next service. They even put an ad in the news paper apologising and asking for any body that had the same problem to contact them for a refund etc.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Love that Story Myowni30  :goodjob: (Should happen more often - I hate being ripped off)

I took my 2 y/o whipper snipper (with a 5 year warranty) in for repair when it started spewing oil.. they reckon they fixed it and charged me $25.. when I said how come I'm paying when there is a warranty?

The guy said the repair man would ring to explain (but never got a call) Just used it again and as soon as it got hot spewing oil again  :rolleyes:

Wish Trish was home she'd sort them out  :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Love that Story Myowni30  :goodjob: (Should happen more often - I hate being ripped off)

I took my 2 y/o whipper snipper (with a 5 year warranty) in for repair when it started spewing oil.. they reckon they fixed it and charged me $25.. when I said how come I'm paying when there is a warranty?

The guy said the repair man would ring to explain (but never got a call) Just used it again and as soon as it got hot spewing oil again  :rolleyes:

Wish Trish was home she'd sort them out  :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: sounds like my wife.  :scared:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Myowni30....

that's a brilliant story.................   HAhaahaha hahah

great stuff

asathorny

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal