i30 Owners Club

Oil Viscosity

Blue30 · 15 · 5155

Offline Blue30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi All,

Just wanted to know recommendations for what oil viscosity and brand of oil to use in my 2.0L Petrol i30. Also can i use full synthetic or am i better to stick to semi-synthetic?

Also, what fuel octane do you recommend?

Regards,
Mitch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Just wanted to know recommendations for what oil viscosity and brand of oil to use in my 2.0L Petrol i30. Also can i use full synthetic or am i better to stick to semi-synthetic?

Good question mitch.. Lots of discussions on here about Oils for the Diesel which must be fully synthetic but not so much about oils for the petrol models...

I will be using Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 in the Wifes CW Petrol as we have 10 Litres left from when I had my CRDi..

We have had a couple of knowledgeable members on here that don't recommend Magnatec...

Will be interested to see what other say but I reckon a fully sythetic like Edge or Shell Ultra.. would be worth the extra few $$ to keep her in tip top condition.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
magnatec.  :scared:  :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Pip
Hi All,

Regards,
Mitch
WRT oil, what does the handbook actually specify? It won't say a brand but it will say a viscosity and required specs to meet. If you update your profile and add your country to it it will make it easier to be more specific. Some oils with the same name are not the same country to country and some are just not available in all countries.

But... if you want to use the very best oil to prolong the life of your engine then a full synthetic is what you want. If you just want to keep the engine from wearing out until you trade it in a few years then whatever you find cheap (and meets specs) will do that.

Somewhere in between is what most want. :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mitch is somewhere in OZ (I know that much) :goodjob:
And I'm guessing  :winker: he is in New South Wales (possibly in the Real Estate game)  :cool:

I worked that out from a Google Search.. but looking back at Mitch's previous posts he said he is in Sydney  :-[

As far as which Fuel Octane goes I think 91 is fine although we have only had the petrol model for a month.. I think you have had some issues with your petrol losing some responsiveness? Cant really justify the extra cost for the 98 down here (about 20c P/l more)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Don't tell me you're psychic, Daz?

Can you give me tomorrow nights Lotto numbers?  :P

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't tell me you're psychic, Daz?

Can you give me tomorrow nights Lotto numbers?  :P

I could but I don't want to halve the first prize... :P

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Mystic Daz  :rofl: :rofl:

Re oil -- Check handbook as it will give a few grades to use depending on driving conditions.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Blue30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Wow, you guys sure do your research.  :goodjob: I spoke to the dealer the other day and they said i am currently running 10w-30 Castrol GTX at the moment. I have a service due in about 1,000 km so i might see if they can use the edge sport 5w-30 in it. I have heard somewhere that thinner oils can cause oil leaks to form quicker?
I would rather spend the extra $$$ and get the best oil there is.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hi Mitch, as posted HERE, Repco have a sale on at the moment with Castrol oils at a reasonable price..... :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, Mitch.. If you buy it on special yourself you will save, as they would no doubt charge you retail price.

Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 is far from the best oil available but it is a couple of levels better than GTX.. and more than adequate for the 2.0 Petrol motor...

Offline Blue30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Yeah thanks for the info Daz.. Is there any particular oil you could recommend for me? Or should i just stick with giving the edge sport a go. Ive heard 10w-30 isn't as good protection as a 5w30??  Also i cant seem to find a servo near my place that sells regular 91 unless it has 10% ethanol in it. So i have been using premium 95 for the past few months??

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah thanks for the info Daz.. Is there any particular oil you could recommend for me? Or should i just stick with giving the edge sport a go. Ive heard 10w-30 isn't as good protection as a 5w30??  Also i cant seem to find a servo near my place that sells regular 91 unless it has 10% ethanol in it. So i have been using premium 95 for the past few months??

Regular shelf price for oils seems to be a pretty good guide to their quality.. Edge 5w-30 is one of the cheapest but certainly more than adequate for the 2.0 model.. You can easily pay $30 per 5 litres more for something like Mobil 1 in some grades..

Seems like regular 91 unleaded (without ethanol) will be available in Tassie for a while yet.. Because ethanol can be corrosive we will avoid putting it in the i30 as long as we can.. (so using 95 might be the way to go).. Our other car Hybrid Camry says you can use 10% ethanol on the fuel flap but I still prefer to put in 91 unleaded without ethanol...

Pip
Wow, you guys sure do your research.  :goodjob: I spoke to the dealer the other day and they said i am currently running 10w-30 Castrol GTX at the moment. I have a service due in about 1,000 km so i might see if they can use the edge sport 5w-30 in it. I have heard somewhere that thinner oils can cause oil leaks to form quicker?
I would rather spend the extra $$$ and get the best oil there is.
What you currently have is not a premium oil. :scared: Staying with Castrol, Edge Sport 5w30 is much better. Edge 0w40 that Rusty suggested is even better again. The $20 or $30 dollars difference once or twice a year (forgetting the GTX :rolleyes:) between 5w30 and 0w40 is just a couple of pizzas but might represent hundreds of thousands of extra kilometres of life from the engine.

For me, I, and others here, wonder why anyone would not spend what is a miniscule extra amount to extend its life. :goodjob:

There is lots of good oil out there. Buy it and take it to the service and the difference in cost between that and what the dealer will charge for theirs will be minimal.

PS., And my take on ethanol: don't use it. Someone has to but it doesn't need to be us. :wink:

PPS., Don't worry about oil leaks.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal