Air con efficiency and lowest temperature

Gibber · 9 · 3804

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
Hi,

I wanted to make sure my air con is in full working order and wondered if there is a way to test it preferably without popping in to a garage and pay for the privilege.

As its not a climate control fitted i30 I am not sure what the lowest temperature it should get to and whether this is the best test anyhow?

Any advice greatly appreciated as you guys make the forum a fantastic resource.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
I'm assuming it’s not cold enough?  If this is the case, try setting the Air Intake Control in the recirculated air position.

This below is out of my owner’s manual:

Operating the air conditioning system
in the recirculated air position provides
maximum cooling, however, continual
operation in this mode may cause the
air inside the vehicle to become stale.

It does get a bit cooler, I use this setting when hot :sweating:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's a good question Gibber. I queried my aircon/Cc at the last service and they said it was cooling lower than the recommended minimum, which was surprising seeing I asked them to check it as it wasn't cooling at all (a sneakily suspicious me thinks they regassed it). HOWEVER, they didn't say exactly what that temp was (can't remember if I asked tho). They also said my drier was working to spec.

Sorry it's not much help, but using it tonight it was blowing some seriously cold air thru the vents (I don't tend to use it in Cc mode, just aircon mode, with directed air at face/hands and feet).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
I find it cools but not as quick as my previous car even in recirculation mode. It would be nice to know what temperature is "in spec", as you say Shambles  :goodjob:

A search on google suggested for Audi's, 4C at the vents was in spec  :whistler:
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Gibber.. Have you tried letting the hot air out of the car first before you drive off... On the odd very hot day we have in Tasmania, I wind all the windows down and drive a few metres (or just sit there for 30 seconds or so) then wind them back up and fire up the air con if not already on.. makes a big difference for me.

Being nearly brand new I would have expected it to work fine.. I have found the i30 air con to be as effective as any that I have experience (out of probably 15 cars I have had with aircon) :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
Yes, I drive off with the windows down if its been hot here which is not that often   :faint: (I miss the one touch all windows down function my VW had). The air con does not seem as cold as my last car (a Ford) before the condenser leaked but if I can establish the base line temperature Hyundai set then one's mind will be at peace  :wacko:
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The air con does not seem as cold as my last car (a Ford)

That explains it .. The panel fit of Fords.. I reckon you were getting a draft from somewhere... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
The air con does not seem as cold as my last car (a Ford)

That explains it .. The panel fit of Fords.. I reckon you were getting a draft from somewhere... :whistler:

Nice One :lol:.  I normally have mine adjusted halfway between the blue and it's just about right and that’s not with the Air Intake Control in the recirculated air position.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal