Service Interval and cost

bdennis · 125 · 96028

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Here's a picture of the Oil Filter Kit for the 1.6 Diesel (imagine the 2.0ltr would be the same) Part number 26320-2A001

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Got my 7500 service done yesterday by my friendly independent and by buying own oil & filter and paying cash for the labour cost me close to half what a dealer service would have been..

At the moment Supercheap are selling Castrol Edge Sport 5W30 for $39.95 for 5 litres which is a $13 saving. It is a good oil and should not cause any issues with Aussie i30 (Diesel or Petrol)

So I grabbed one for next time... 8-)

Dazz do you know what that filter looks like? an early Harley Davidson aftermarket filter. you pull the filter apart and you change the elliment, nothing wrong with this system it has it's good points as it allows you to closely inspect the elliment for metal, with out having to cut the filter apart, just some wash out the filter houseing and dry it before putting new elliment in others are lazy just change elliment, probably not that important just thought i would mention it.

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
While on the subject of filters, as some will know we lost the throttle at a busy intersection a week ago. One dealer said loose wire. Another dealer said faulty fuel filter. Claimed the action of the filter was introducing "air bubbles" and changed the filter.

Nonsense of course. The filter can only "make bubbles" if air is getting into the filter in the first place. I am still driving with my fingers crossed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi John,

I've always bought my own service parts and it's the first time I've seen them done this way but my service guy say Peugeot an I think he said Subaru do the same system too now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi J-B,

Sounds like the dealer who replaced the fuel filter had his wires crossed. Bob and a couple of others had an issue early in the peace with their diesels not revving past 3000RPM on several occasions and after a major investigation by Hyundai they replaced his and other fuel filters due to a bubble issue (seemed to fix the problem) but on no occasion that I heard of were they completely stranded by that issue.

Rgds,

Dazz

ouri30
JarrahBark,

As Dazz as stated, some of us have had an issue with fuel filters (not the paper insert, the whole unit) and it caused the ECU to limit the revs to 2900.  The vehicle was drivable and certainly did not cause us to become stranded on the side of the road.  I suspect one of the dealers liked your problem to the known issuewhich did cause larger than normal air bubbled in the common rail.  By replacing the filter unit, this issue is now eliminated for you.  

Worth noting also is the temporary solution I discovered to the fuel filter problem, namely stop, switch of the engine, wait a bit and restart the engine.  Problem is no longer present.  Now, if this was your issue, then you would have been ok after stopping on the side of the road and then restarting.

Bob

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Thanks for the feed back on this.

It seems to me there were in fact two issues which got clouded in communication to me.

Firstly the throttle developed a loose wire and was fixed by a dealer who had not see the vehicle before. I was advised to report the incident to my regular service centre.

Secondly when presented with the vehicle for checkup and refitting of a wiring cover under the dash my regular servicing centre took the opportunity to replace the filter before it became a problem.

Mac

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This is a pretty good deal I got emailed in a newsletter from my Tassie Dealer.. Hopefully some of you might be able to use it to shame your local dealers into giving you a better deal....

Pity I'm about 4000km away from my 15k service as this works out pretty competitive for the diesel model considering the cost of Fully Synthetic oil...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I doesn't say diesel vehicles excluded....

Why isn't it for a diesel..?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thats about average service price, but dealers will always charge much higher hourly rate than a privately owned operator. for the simple fact that they can get away with it, if a small service center tried they would just go broke. people think they have to go to the dealer the dealer knows that. but the dealer pays the service staff very poor hourly rates, the manager would normally get the good $ just they don't do the work. but thats how it is and thats how it will continue to be if people keep going to the dealer for service. another point is the dealer has the factory behind them with factory trained techs that come out if something too difficult comes up, also they have special software and equipment that costs $ that small operators don't have and could not justify the costs to buy.
but have a go won't make any difference mate. like i like good Cappo ( Coffee)  here in Sydney you can pay from $2.70 to $14 just for a cup and same beans same everything, just some people price there time at different rates, thats how it is mate.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Take the $25 petrol off the $189 (leaves $164), Bob got charged over $80 just for his oil so I figure most dealers would be dearer than this for the diesel service...

I'm going to use them for compulsory services only if they look after me.....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz i was not aware they have compulsory Hyundai dealer services? thought any registered service center could service if they use all hyundai service parts?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry m8 I've confused you. I mean the services we have to have... (not the optional intermediate ones)

I know we don't have to use the dealer for any services but if they look after me I'll use them for the compulsory services...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I agree Dazz, just does not seem to matter much what manufacturer all dealers charge @ a higher rate. always makes me think when you get a good deal buying the car they are thinking that, ( no worries we will get it back in service costs) like if a dealer gives you a good deal you always feel you need to go back to them for service's.
Over the years i've seen things you would not beleave m8. and i think you could go for about 100,000k with out service on most new cars, just after 100,000k they will be about gone. one guy i worked with had a very busy social life, could not find the time to have his holden rodeo ute serviced. he let it go for about three years and had 100,000k up then at about 105,000k he tells me he has got a funny noise (i'm deaf ) so got anouther guy to listen the guy thought it was loose fan belt. i looked at his oil through the dip stick it was just sludge. turns out his bearings had gone south, cost a new motor. others i know keep cars 30,000 sell them no service.these people have no interest in cars at all m8.other than transport use.

Offline ozgur23

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Amsterdam
As I have one of the elder i30s.. I'm takin my black mamba to service next week for the 1st year check. I was told it's gonna cost 170 Euro.

Friends in Turkey had 15K service for around 100Euro.

So, big difference from place to place.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
For my 1st year service I've been quoted around £150 GBP, approx 190 euros.

ozgur23 - Check the handbook for the oil to use.  
If you have a CPF then you need to use fully synthetic oil which is dearer than semi synth.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eye,

By my understanding the diesels should all be using Fully synthetic (if it has a CPF use smokeless fully synthetic)

Offline ozgur23

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Amsterdam
Eye, can you open this CPF thing? I don't know much about it.

Quote from: "eye30"

If you have a CPF then you need to use fully synthetic oil which is dearer than semi synth.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi again ozgur... It's a long story just search CPF on this site (there may be too many entries for the search to cope!)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "ozgur23"
Eye, can you open this CPF thing? I don't know much about it.

Quote from: "eye30"

As D_D says it's been well documented but here is a link to 1 of the threads:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=114

You may also wish to look at the HF forum link:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php ... 714&hl=cpf

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "ouri30"
Just got the account for the 15 000k service on ouri30 CRDi.

Here is a summary:
Labour ........... $111.60
Oil .................. $84.10
Oil Filter ........... $17.35
Other .............. $15.36

GST ................ $22.84

Total .............. $251.25

Bob

Just had my 15k service done:

Labour:.......................$90.00
Oil (Synpower DPF):.........$67.50
Oil filter:.....................$16.15
Gasket Sump plug:...........$1.71
Injector Cleaner:............$10.90
Workshop consumables:.....$8.40
Waste levy:...................$3.50

Rounding:.....................$0.02

GST:..........................$19.82

Total:.......................$218.00

A new fuel filter was fitted free of charge. (No questions asked)

Was given a courtesy vehicle to drive into town whilst the service was being done, without asking.

All in all, very happy with Hyundai in Wagga.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for sharing guys will be interested to see what mine comes to (probably about 8 weeks before I hit 15000Km)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My i30, crdi 1.6, is due it's 12 month service soon and I've been quoted by Hy dealer (some months ago) circa £160.00, slightly higher than expected but informed this is because it requires fully synthetic oil.

Any others had a recent price for 1st or 10,000 mile service?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Eye Thumper has (dpf) in brackets for his oil ( i don't know what brand? ) but i think he means it has a Diesel Part.... Filter, just my owners manual only mentions CPF, but that is fully Synthetic oil.

But after taking the company Toyota to be serviced and seeing a snot nosed young kid do the job and the cost was about same as Bob or Thumpers ( 4 cylinder petrol) and could not notice any difference. i think i'll go to a professional to get the job done.
Also was a write up in last weekends paper (Sydney)Daily Telegraph saturday 23-8-08 , a guy had a car he had put $60,000 into was still under warranty the dealer sent him a letter that said that if he did not bring it in for a service they would wipe his warranty. he took it in and the kids took his car for a joy ride and totaled it, even though the dealer told him the service would not need test driving. then to make matters worse the dealers insurance did not want to pay full insured value . i'm not worried about this but the dealers service teams are always young kids that don't care. i want a pro that owns his own business that cares to do mine useing all hyundai service parts and fully documented. i don't think i've ever needed warranty claims on any new car i've owned yet. so not expecting to need it with this.
just my feeling's on this.
cheers

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "Thumper"
Quote from: "ouri30"
Just got the account for the 15 000k service on ouri30 CRDi.

Here is a summary:
Labour ........... $111.60
Oil .................. $84.10
Oil Filter ........... $17.35
Other .............. $15.36

GST ................ $22.84

Total .............. $251.25

Bob

Just had my 15k service done:

Labour:.......................$90.00
Oil (Synpower DPF):.........$67.50
Oil filter:.....................$16.15
Gasket Sump plug:...........$1.71
Injector Cleaner:............$10.90
Workshop consumables:.....$8.40
Waste levy:...................$3.50

Rounding:.....................$0.02

GST:..........................$19.82

Total:.......................$218.00

A new fuel filter was fitted free of charge. (No questions asked)

Was given a courtesy vehicle to drive into town whilst the service was being done, without asking.

All in all, very happy with Hyundai in Wagga.

Thumper see you got $90 labour, but no time mentioned, i remember when Bob took his car to have the compleat filter unit replaced took a day. did they say it was an easy job? and did you see your old filter housing? looks like a bad place to have to get too. what was there hourly rate? in sydney just about everyone values there time higher and dealer hourly rate would be about $90 up i would expect. but good to know you got looked after down Wagga Wagga.

Offline wynpd

• 2nd Gear
I bought my CRDi from Geelong and they quoted $290 for15,000km service. I won't be going back!Melton sounds good to me and is a lot closer.

I also bought an iPod cable and Melton were also the cheapest - $110 instead of $130 at Geelong and $123 at Essendon. Is there anything to do at Melton while I am carless?

Does anyone think the 7,500 km service is just a way to make money? It doesn't affect the warranty.

Offline dwalton

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Did the IPOD cable not come with the car as standard??

Mine did, and luckly it still works on my Iphone..

As for the oil. My brothers checked and it only need semi synth oil. Not full.

One of the mates has a Seat Leon that needs PD oil... This retails for £75 for 5litres... owch.....

Dale

Offline wynpd

• 2nd Gear
iPod cable is a bugbear of antipodeans; we get a USB stick instead - not equal value to the cable which is not for sale anywhere except hyundai (iPod know nothing about it). Grrr! But I am sooooo glad I paid for the cable.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I think the 7500k service is a gimmick.  If people dont read the manual properly, they assume that it needs doing as the dealer told them.  I think they should be seriously discouraged from doing this by the ACCC (competition consumer watchdog) or similar as its a rought

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal