i30 Owners Club

New brakes and service. How much?!?!?!

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

• i30 Tourer 2015 1.6MPI Petrol 118hp
2015 i30 1.6 petrol, 120hp.
I’m in Switzerland, usually get the service in Germany but the garage was bought out by a national main dealer.
I need new disks/pads all round plus an 8 year (not just an oil change) service.
My local garage in CH has quoted CHF 1900! That’s £1700, €2000 or $2200! 😱
I know prices have gone up but I checked and ATE disks and pads can be got for about chf240.
It looks like they want to charge about chf1400 for the brakes alone.
His long would it take a garage to change 4 disks and change the brake fluid?
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I service my own brakes, not that hard if you're reasonably competent. I have a 2015 diesel and replacing discs and pads on all corners cost me about £220 for the parts, but I didn't do it all at once. I'd say I probably spend 1 hour per wheel, but I do remove the yoke that holds the pads so I can clean it properly to remove rust and scale. I think a professional garage shouldn't take more than about 3 hours. In the UK my local Hyundai dealer offers Hyundai Essentials servicing for vehicles out of warranty, it's about £269 and includes oil & filter change, gearbox oil change, brake fluid change, coolant replacement. I also replace brake fluid every 2 years, it's easy if you have someone to help but tedious because I can only jack up one wheel at a time. For a garage with a lift, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to replace the brake fluid.

• i30 CRD

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

I have done brakes before, but here I have no drive/garage and it’s illegal to work in the street. I was thinking even if they run into trouble, it won’t take more than 3 hours.
Anyhow, I have 3 more recommendations for garages so I’ll ring around and see what I can get.

How often does the gear oil need changing? I hadn’t thought of that.
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The service schedule on my car says replace at 6 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • i30 CRD

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

So I went to another independent garage recommended by a colleague.
The mechanic spent 5 mins looking it over, and said there’s another 4000km left in the brakes and everything else looks fine, so come back in 4K, which is what I’ll do.
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

Now I've been called in for the MFK ( Swiss MoT ). Via the online system, I've delayed it for 3 months to buy time for the brakes.
I went back to the previous garage, and they checked and said yeah, brakes need doing now. I watched them check the price of the parts on their suppliers portal, and f*ck me they were expensive. I can only imagine it's because of the 3 hour delivery, so the mechanic strips the parts in the morning, checks and orders the bits, they get delivered by lunchtime and they spend the afternoon doing the fitting.
Anyway, Bosch replacement parts, chf250 front disks, chf225 rear, and pads chd100 per end! Add on the tax, filters and oil, @ £950!!!
Plus 2 hours labour, which is fine.
I checked online, and as there's no rush, I can get all the same Bosch parts (minus oil) for chf250 ( £230 ) .
Garage agreed to do labour only, as long as I take full responsibility for supplying the correct parts.
In theory, that chf2000 initial quote is now whittled down to @chf700
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The following prices are in £ sterling, so multiply by 1.1 to convert. I have a 2015 1.6 diesel. In January 2020 I replaced rear brake pads, parts cost £24. I replaced rear discs in April 2021, parts cost £60. Discs were Bendix, pads are Pagid. Front discs replaced in April 2021, Delphi parts £80. Front pads replaced in September 2020, they are Pagid, £37.

I prefer Delphi parts. I replace the parts myself so there are no labour costs. I always go to www.partsouq.com, enter my VIN number, and get the Hyundai part numbers, then go to the online Delphi or Pagid parts catalogue and search for the correct cross-reference part.

Obviously, do not attempt to replace brake parts yourself unless you are certain you have the necessary competence and tools.
  • i30 CRD

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

So, all done. Finally I bought the discs, pads, oil, air and cabin filter online, for chf250 delivered. All Bosch parts.
Guy charged 3 hours labour including the oil change and general inspection. There's copper slip evident so sure he's done a reasonable job.
So all in, chf680. Or about 2/3 the original quote. Next to see if it passes the inspection. 
  • i30 1.6GDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal