Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
well i'm quite taken with these sill guards at sgpetch

i don't recall seeing these in the aussie catalogue at all so i'm guessing we don't get them

but i have a question (or two)
in the piccy they are a small strip against a white background. now my car's sill/guard is definantly grey. so is the item just the little strip or do you get the whole white part as well that possibly covers the entire grey guard?
secondly does that site send to australia?

cheers
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
We currently can’t accept orders outside of the United Kingdom mainland.

Do you like the "side step" at kspec?

http://www.kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=191&ai_id=2659
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
well i'm quite taken with these sill guards at sgpetch

i don't recall seeing these in the aussie catalogue at all so i'm guessing we don't get them

but i have a question (or two)
in the piccy they are a small strip against a white background. now my car's sill/guard is definantly grey. so is the item just the little strip or do you get the whole white part as well that possibly covers the entire grey guard?
secondly does that site send to australia?

cheers

Here is a picture of a rear door one, I think you can see better what you get, looks like the sliver bit and a bit in dark colour that goes up and over the door threshold. Pretty cool. Keep in mind thats my interpretation, I haven't seen these in real life.

I believe the hyundai part number is  E84502L000 googling it may give more info. You may be able to order this part from your dealer.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

It's just occured to me maybe these look best on a silver car?

Offline karhung

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Caroline Springs
Hey snowcherry.
Will here is a couple of site that sells them and send to Australia. I'm interested at these too..

Korean Auto Imports
LED GT i30 Sill
http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_158_201&products_id=1239

Metallic Door Sill
http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_158_201&products_id=1240

I30 OEM LED Door Sills
http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_158_200&products_id=1857

Shark Racing (Postage included into the prices)
LED i30 Sills
http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/shop.cgi?action=view&itemID=ledsills2&cate=011900000

H.I Motors Co
http://hi-motors.com/

Im not too sure on how H.I motors works or pricing.

Korean auto seems to be the most $$

I buy my stuff from shark racing and they are very helpful. Plus not extra postage cost.

Hope this helps.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

Here is a picture of a rear door one, I think you can see better what you get, looks like the sliver bit and a bit in dark colour that goes up and over the door threshold. Pretty cool. Keep in mind thats my interpretation, I haven't seen these in real life.

thanks for that pic! and i noticed this time the description say "aluminium look" which is sort of vague but definantly not white. probably would look best on a silver car as mentioned. but i'm thinking it actually slides over the bottom part of the guard til it rests against the middle bit...ugh i hope that makes any sort of sense...not actually go over in full like the original guard.

i had a quick look at my guard today thinking maybe they clip off easily and you can swap them over like whenever you fancy but erm maybe not. though where the hell do you attach the LED ones?....

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the h.i.motors site hasnt got prices. :'(
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
a very helpful post indeed

i did see the kspec ones at some point in my journey but discounted them quickly as they had GT on them. and i see the koreon auto ones have GT on them to. so now coming back to them i must ask what is probably a very naive question...what the hell is GT? and why would it be on there? i thought GT was for Gran Touring but can't think what that has to do with the i30.

the kspec ones did confuse me as i assumed originally these were the full guards as well from their pictures, but looking at the shark at koreon auto pics it looks more like they are just showing the guards as illustration purposes as you attach the sill part on top of the guards you have. which is what i was after. i don't mind the LED ones but the whole modding thing is a bit beyond me, and i'm not certain how you're supposed to hook them up to the door lights without removing the guards????

the hi-motors ones didn't do much for me overall

-------------
so if i go for i-30 only its the official (slide on?) or shark racing LED's
or the others with GT written on them in either non LED or with LED

and i've got to say i'm surprised how expensive these things are!  :eek:

Hope this helps.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
a very helpful post indeed

i did see the kspec ones at some point in my journey but discounted them quickly as they had GT on them. and i see the koreon auto ones have GT on them to. so now coming back to them i must ask what is probably a very naive question...what the hell is GT? and why would it be on there? i thought GT was for Gran Touring but can't think what that has to do with the i30.

the kspec ones did confuse me as i assumed originally these were the full guards as well from their pictures, but looking at the shark at koreon auto pics it looks more like they are just showing the guards as illustration purposes as you attach the sill part on top of the guards you have. which is what i was after. i don't mind the LED ones but the whole modding thing is a bit beyond me, and i'm not certain how you're supposed to hook them up to the door lights without removing the guards????

the hi-motors ones didn't do much for me overall

-------------
so if i go for i-30 only its the official (slide on?) or shark racing LED's
or the others with GT written on them in either non LED or with LED

and i've got to say i'm surprised how expensive these things are!  :eek:

Hope this helps.

LOL!

Snowcherry, it's starting!!!!.

I read this quote of yours somewhere "i'm not usually a 'mod' person"

Now there's a whole thread on ONE MINOR Mod for you!
I guess the mod bug has bitten !!

Good to see!!

Next it will be lowered, turbo'd, and have LED lights.
It always starts slow; floor mats, tinting, sill guards....

Next..  well...  see Korean pics !

:)

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
Snowcherry, it's starting!!!!.

I read this quote of yours somewhere "i'm not usually a 'mod' person"
/
Next it will be lowered, turbo'd, and have LED lights.
It always starts slow; floor mats, tinting, sill guards....

:lol:

and i'm getting tinting next week

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

You are becoming a candidate for pimp my ride*

*If you don't get this in Australia, lucky you!

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
sadly i have seen the show....

:P

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
i'm still tempted by door sills but still fin dthem too expensive

however i see these ones pop up on ebay a lot
what do others think of them?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aluminium-Door-Scuff-Sills-Plates-suit-for-Hyundai-i30_W0QQitemZ320481157042QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9e2a5fb2

under $50 posted but would be coming from somewhere in Hong Kong

nb: also why would they say they only fit the hatch - surely the wagon has the same size sills as the hatch??? i need a totally confused smiley  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think the rear door openings in the wagon might be slightly different (longer)

I reckon they would be o/k but Aluminium has plusses and minuses I like the fact they wont corrode but could be quite easily dented and scratched...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
My i30 was delivered with Main Dealer fitted  Polished Stainless Steel sill guards and cost an additional £80.00, they were only  fixed by double sided carpet adhesive tape (fixed by the manufacturer), they all fell off within 2 weeks.
I returned to to dealer, they fitted replacements, and in the cold weather, they fell off even sooner.
I may refix them (in the summer) with silicone, but when they slip off it is easy to shut the door on them and crack the paintwork and bend the sill guards (they are not 314L stainless).

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

My i30 was delivered with Main Dealer fitted  Polished Stainless Steel sill guards and cost an additional £80.00, they were only  fixed by double sided carpet adhesive tape (fixed by the manufacturer), they all fell off within 2 weeks.
I returned to to dealer, they fitted replacements, and in the cold weather, they fell off even sooner.
I may refix them (in the summer) with silicone, but when they slip off it is easy to shut the door on them and crack the paintwork and bend the sill guards (they are not 314L stainless).

If you want them to stay on clean both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alochol) and use genuine 3M automative grade double sided tape (www.3mselect.co.uk) or if you definitely dont want them to come off (ever) then search ebay for "spoiler glue" which should return some PU glues suitable for the job.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Thanks Lorian, I'm sure that will work, I'll give it a go -Interphase.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
I reckon they would be o/k but Aluminium has plusses and minuses I like the fact they wont corrode but could be quite easily dented and scratched...

hmmm good point, though i think even some of the more expensive ones were still aluminium. i'll check out the lists again though to be sure :)

anyone think there's an issue with where the order would be coming from? should be legit enough?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

anyone think there's an issue with where the order would be coming from? should be legit enough?

A lot of stuff on ebay seems to come via Hong Kong.. I don't think it should be an issue.. Use paypal and make sure you follow up inside 45 days if any probs..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What a let down ................ to be stuck down with 2 sided tape and then it come off.

Is this the only item which has let the brand down?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
What a let down ................ to be stuck down with 2 sided tape and then it come off.

Is this the only item which has let the brand down?

well he hasn't said anything against the sills themselves - just the method of application
and do remember the side skirts on the SR have been under a similar issue of lack of reasonable application to stay afixed.

so the issue here is application methods used by the manufacturer.
so it would seem to me

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

An awfull lot of i30 accessories are stuck on with tape. This is generally OK if it's done in a factory, but aftermarket additions are probably letdown by poor surface preparation and the use of inferior tape.

The (black) sill protectors that came on my car may be taped down, I'm not sure, but they also clip over the threshold into the interior.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Snowcherry, you are correct, the sill guards are well made, it is just the method of fixing.

I bought a new i20 CRDi in October (for my Wife) and noticed that there were no sill guards whatsoever, so it would not be long before the paint would scratch and damage.
I was so impressed with the car and when the Dealer rang for a "satisfaction update on the i20", he sold me a new i30 CRDi on scrappage against a vehicle I had not used for 21 years (he offered £3,700.00 off).
I ordered the sill guards not realising that the i30 already had adequate factory fitted protection (plastic -abs?) on the sills, I picked up the vehicle in the dark, and next day noticed a sill guard laying in the drive. Of course the narrow double sided adhesive tape (two strips) would not stick to the abs plastic, especially as the stainless steel was not malleable to make contact with the factory fitted moulding over the complete area and length. You really do not need them for protection, but cosmetically, they just look attractive.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I don't think everyone gets the plastic protectors already fitted.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Lorian, I had not realised that. The stainless sill guards have been moulded to only fit the existing black sill guards on my estate (is it called a wagon elsewhere?), so they would not fit the actual sill without the existing guards in place.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I may be wrong, but I'm sure the car I test drove didn't have them.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

OK, it was not until had joined the club that I realised that the i30's basics were different, no wonder my old rally friends living in Australia etc have queried certain points I have made.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
against a vehicle I had not used for 21 years (he offered £3,700.00 off).

Interesting. What was it. I take it it was MOT'd and taxed ?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal