i30 Owners Club

Build date/Compliance date

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
As per a previous post, I inquired about whether a car built in 2008 and complianced in Australia in 2009 would be considered a 2008 model or a 2009 model. I made inquiries with the Ministry for Fair Trading (W.A. State Government) and below is their reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the purchase of a 2009 Hyundai SLX i30 motor vehicle.

Briefly, in response to your query, section 34F 2(a) of the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973 provides that 'the date of manufacture of a vehicle is taken to be the date of manufacture shown  on the vehicle's compliance plate'.

Consequently, the vehicle you have purchased would be considered to be a 2009 model vehicle.

Regarding the possible sale of the vehicle, there is no specific ruling regarding this although, I am aware that the Motor Vehicle industry have an understanding that the vehicle's age on sale is determined by the compliance plate."

So there you have it. The build date appears to be irrelevant and the Australian compliance plate takes precedence.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Now let me see.. who said that... :wink: :cool:

Nice to get an official ruling though thanks db...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks Dazz. Absolutely. And in writing.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Morias

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Qld, Australia - Silver I30 Crdi SLX Man
Briefly, in response to your query, section 34F 2(a) of the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973 provides that 'the date of manufacture of a vehicle is taken to be the date of manufacture shown  on the vehicle's compliance plate'.

Consequently, the vehicle you have purchased would be considered to be a 2009 model vehicle.

I pulled up the legislation. 

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_act/mvda1973211/

If you look at s 34F of the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973 (WA) it is limited in operation to s 34A(2) (Vehicles covered by obligations to repair) and 34C(1) (Period during which dealer responsible: vehicles other than motorcycle).  I don't think it has a wider operation than that, although it expresses a principle which may be applicable elsewhere.

In any event, it says the age of the vehicle for those sections is taken to be "the date of manufacture shown on the vehicle's compliance plate" or the "built date shown on the vehicle". 

“Built date” shown on the vehicle  is defined to mean the date, or the month in a particular year, that follows the expression “built” or “built date” (or a similar expression) on —

(a)         a metal plate attached to the vehicle; or
(b)         a metal component of the vehicle.

Compliance plate, in relation to a vehicle, is defined to mean a plate attached to the vehicle that indicates that the vehicle complies with the standards required by law for vehicles of that make, model and year of manufacture.

All of that appears to mean:

* the legislation only applies in WA;
* the sections relating to the age of the vehicle, are limited to sections about dealers' obligations to repair;
* the age of the vehicle is taken as the date of manufacture.

I have had a long day and am really tired, so I hope I didn't muck all that up, but it appears the Office of Fair Trading was mistaken.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i've only ever had the one car and don't know much about this stuff but..
my festiva has a plate date of december 97 (only plate on it i think so i assume its the compliance plate) yet didn't get sold until january 1998. i picked it up just out of warranty and it was sold to me as a 98 car. i didn't realise for a very long time it said any different. however ford has only ever referred to it as a 98 model and have had no issues on the date with 3rd party servicers / repairers / insurance claims. its noted as 98 on everything. i do get concerned on trade-in it might get noted as a 97 and thus lose value but this far down the track it really doesn't make any difference.

so for early resale within warranty if hyundai say its 2009 then i would imagine that is what it will be, and if keeping for years then resale shouldn't be big issue

of course i could be totally off tilt here......... :-[
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i've only ever had the one car and don't know much about this stuff but..
my festiva has a plate date of december 97 (only plate on it i think so i assume its the compliance plate) yet didn't get sold until january 1998. i picked it up just out of warranty and it was sold to me as a 98 car. i didn't realise for a very long time it said any different. however ford has only ever referred to it as a 98 model and have had no issues on the date with 3rd party servicers / repairers / insurance claims. its noted as 98 on everything. i do get concerned on trade-in it might get noted as a 97 and thus lose value but this far down the track it really doesn't make any difference.

so for early resale within warranty if hyundai say its 2009 then i would imagine that is what it will be, and if keeping for years then resale shouldn't be big issue

of course i could be totally off tilt here......... :-[

As you say snowcherry anything much over 5 years old the model year doesn't make a lot of difference unless there was a significant change in models between years. In Australia the compliance plate is usually a piece of aluminum riveted on to the firewall (or elsewhere under the bonnet) although Hyundai have been known to put them in the boot (Getz) and doorjamb (i30) 

Offline i30car

• 2nd Gear
Here in Victoria, VicRoads also goes by the same rules for if a car is 08/09.

Also you will find that a lot of car manufacturers start putting there 09 features into late o8 models so that people who buy a car in like December & January don't miss out!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here in Victoria, VicRoads also goes by the same rules for if a car is 08/09.

Also you will find that a lot of car manufacturers start putting there 09 features into late o8 models so that people who buy a car in like December & January don't miss out!

I think it is probably also that one manufacturer started doing it a few years ago and now everyone has to follow suit to keep up....

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
most car manufactures build cars each year in series,first 4 months of production is series 1,second 4 months is series 2,last 4months of production is series 3.usualy by series 3 you have any problems ironed out and it has more features than series 1 or 2.some cars can have up to 30 or 40 changes. cheers  steve.[i used to work for an automotive engineer and learnt a lot about model change]
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal