i30 Owners Club

Stone Chips on Paintwork

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Hi all

I have collected some stone chips on my paintwork and wanted to get them sorted asap.  I have seen two types of touch up paint, one with a brush and the other that looks like a felt tip pen, so wondered if anyone has used both and which one they think is best :question:

Also, any views on whether it is best to do the touch up straight away, or wait until the UK weather warms up a bit, so the paint can dry properly :question:

Cheers

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I bought the one with the brush and used it on half a dozen chips. Totally messed it up. Later on I read up on the best ways of using the paint, and that turned out to be using a toothpick to apply very small amounts at a time by "dibbing".

Not sure if the weather makes all that difference to be honest, as it dries extremely quickly.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Cheers shambles, I have heard that a toothpick is best, but I also found this below on the forum, which looked as if it could be easier to use.

http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com/Hyundai_Touch_Up_Paint_Pen.html

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Local Hy dealer can provide the touch up paint with the small brush.

I got the colour paint and "varnish" as a set of 2 tubes.

You put paint on. I let this dry for 5 or minutes or so then cover with the "varnish".

Like Shambles said, best use a pick as I found the brush either put too much on or covered more area than required and then it looks naff as a big blob.

Check this link:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2552.msg35773.html#msg35773
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Do it as soon as you can. Clean the area well first.

For best results warm the paint up first! (I usually put it on a radiator for a few minutes before use) and of course shake well. A fine artist brush (or the cocktail stick) will be much better than included brush.

I was never very good at touching up paint, so a few days before my scrappage car got collected I scratched it and abused it, and then spent an hour or so practicing with the touch up brush.   :mrgreen:

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Thanks eye30, I have already purchased the same as you.  Just wondered whether that touch up paint pen might be a better option.

What is your opinion with regards to applying the paint in cold weather.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I was never very good at touching up paint, so a few days before my scrappage car got vollected I scratch it and abused it, and then spent an hout or so practicing with the touch up brush.   :mrgreen:

Thanks for your reply Lorian.

Why did you not invite us all round, to practice our touch up skills :question: :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

What is your opinion with regards to applying the paint in cold weather.

Cold weather - yes I've done it so long as temperature is not below zero or damp/raining/wet.

I do as Lorian and make sure paint is "runny" so you can dab on rather than paste on  :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

If you can see any rust at all in the chip (if it's full thickness) then clean it out or convert it first (http://tinyurl.com/kurust)

If its rained recently, you can dry the spot and then use a hairdrier on hot to make sure it's dry (don't get caught with hairdrier).

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i've got the pen - never seen the brush.

the pen has a very fine point, like a toothpick tip in itself. i've used it twice now and both times found it best to have a bit of cardboard with me and sort of tap it on the cardboard first. because it will either come out nicely or it will suddenly stop coming out! and then i have to shake it again and tap it on the cardboard til i see it coming back out again.
otherwise it seems to be a nice small fine flow.
it reminds me a lot of some of ink pens i used to use, you had to shake them up and they had the fine tip.

for ultimate control seperate paint and using toothpicks may be best, but i think the pen is quite good for a all in one touch up product.
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just one last bit of advice .. "less is more" use as little paint as possible...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Just one last bit of advice .. "less is more" use as little paint as possible...

Will do Dazzler :wink:

Cheers

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I have also came across this website below, that other members may find useful.

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/stone-chips.htm

One area on the article I found of interest and wondered how well it may work, was this stated below under the Applying the touch-up section.

If you find that you have very many stone chips to do, especially lots of small ones, it would be a huge chore to have to treat with base and clear-coat. A simple way of getting around this is to mix the base and the lacquer together. This will make the base coat glossy.

Any member tried this method :question:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I always apply one at a time, a few days apart. I think that's less hassel than mixing the two together.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I always apply one at a time, a few days apart. I think that's less hassel than mixing the two together.

I just thought that if it worked well enough, it might be easier to do it in one hit.  Thought putting on the clear coat may be difficult to see.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I would think that is worth the extra effort...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal