i30 Owners Club

automatic transmission thumping/ also pinging in petrol engines

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Does anyone else experience a thump when thanging from park, to reverse or drive, or neutral?

Lately either when the car is cold, or after a drive, if it is in park and I change to reverse or drive, it makes a thump, and the car jolts.  It never used to.

Changing between drive and reverse and neutral is fine.

Also, I run my car on 95.  It still pings a little occasionally on hot days, is this something a dealer is able to tune out themselvs, and covered by warranty, or is timing a complex thing on these new cars?

Thanks everyone

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Disregard the comment about pinging, I put it down to Shell fuel, it does it noticeably less on BP.

Also like my previous car it stopped after an oil change.  strange.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
is your car idling high,that will cause it to thump as you select reverse or drive from park.  :idea:  the wife's petrol cw auto used to do it and the dealer found it was due to a faulty throttle position sensor [tps],replaced under warranty.  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
is your car idling high,that will cause it to thump as you select reverse or drive from park.  :idea:  the wife's petrol cw auto used to do it and the dealer found it was due to a faulty throttle position sensor [tps],replaced under warranty.  :mrgreen:

nah idle is fine, it's stopped doing it now anyway, I think it just does it when it gets hot.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal