Windscreen washers not squirting

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No, as on mine the 3 stopped, i,e. 2 front 1 rear.,

Now whether the filter/pump or tubes i don't know as dealer cleared for me.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Would expect rear to have same set up with join in convenient place.

May look tomorrow was gone dark outside here.
Ok found join for rear washer.

Open hatch and along the top edge you will see it.

1 i presume is the high level brake light cable and to the right of that you will find the rubber tube with a join in it.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
What I meant was that it would be unusual for two separate tubes to get blocked at the same time, wouldn't it?

Maybe, but if the 'gunge' was some sort of growth, or other build up, it is possible it has affected everything equally.  Seen it happen with 'splitter' laundry taps at my parents place - caused flow problems to tub and washing machine.

What you describe, about it taking a long squirt or several squirts sometimes, then getting a powerful squirt... it could be blockage in the pipe (as suggested), could also be air getting into the system (split/perished fluid pipes - however than would mean both front and rear pipes at the same time...), might be an airlock... but I would expect it either to cause no flow or be cleared by the water being pumped though (being an open to air ended system where, at least the front, nozzles are probably the high-point of the pipe and not a large volume of water being stored in the pipes), as you say it could be the pump.

What eye30 advises, about blowing air through both sections of pipe for the front nozzles (once disconnecting the join) and the water in the fluid tank bubbling - might have worked if there was stuff in pipes and/or pump (but I would assume it would have got trapped by the filter on the pump).   Maybe by doing so he cleared the pipe of all water, and so any airlocks (if present).   Suppose it is worth a shot.

Though I would be more tempted to disconnect at a join (as indicated by eye30) then run the pump and see what happens... strong flow always? same symptoms?   If same disconnect the pipes at the pump and try (careful not to get stuff wet) - if still the same could be pump needs replacing (or maybe clearing by air - I would be tempted to do so without the filter in place, or clear it before running pump again).  Otherwise it indicates the pipes... which, per eye30 advice might be cleared by blowing air through.  At the very least you will probably be able to ID which section the problem lies in.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just found some close up photos of an OEM washer pump... it is simpler than I thought...

The pump direction determines which windscreen (front/rear) is going to get wet.   So I am assuming the white parts are simply non-return valves and somewhere to stick the pipes.

:link: Hyundai Elantra Touring I30 I30CW 07 12 Genuine Washer Motor Pump 985102L100 | eBay
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:24:53 by ibrokeit »

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
Hi all, and thanks for your help. In the end, after a bit of messing about, I decided that the only thing that could be faulty was the pump itself, even though it sounded like it was working. So I ordered a replacement pump on ebay (non-Hyundai) for £12. Fitted it this afternoon and the initial signs are good: water straightaway every time. Now to get the MOT booked...
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi all, and thanks for your help. In the end, after a bit of messing about, I decided that the only thing that could be faulty was the pump itself, even though it sounded like it was working. So I ordered a replacement pump on ebay (non-Hyundai) for £12. Fitted it this afternoon and the initial signs are good: water straightaway every time. Now to get the MOT booked...

Good news..  :goodjob2:  Can't solve many problems for £12..  :P
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Great!  Good that you were able to resolve it for the MOT.

And thank you for posting how you resolved it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal