i30 Owners Club

i30 Automatic Revs Going up than down in D mode after pressing throttle

Offline Geneosity

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Bratislava
Hi there guys :)

i am not sure if it is a problem or normal behaviour of automatic transmission in i30 build year 2014 but when i am in D mode and press accelerator more than usual (but not full) revs goes first up, car starting to accelerate, than revs go down to normal revs which are for that speed i have currently.
i am still pressing throttle, then next gears and revs are just normal.

if i am in manual mode and press accelerator same way, car just start to accelerate, revs not going up down, they just goin up same way like they do with manual transmission.

so this happen only in D mode.

what you think? is it normal? or my tranny is broken :(
i have around 2K km so far... car is brand new.

it is pretty strange behaviour because it looks like clutch needs longer to fully activate.
an it only happen if i push throttle ~80% down. so want accellerate more than usual.

i am planning to do video, but was not able to do so yet.
  • Hyundai i30cw 1.6 CRDi 2014 Style, Creamy White

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's very hard to tell without actually driving or a video. At 2K distance why are you pushing the throttle to 80%. Is that your normal style of driving.

You could be experiencing wheel spin on a slippery surface.

Or, your torque converter is allowing the engine to slip initially as the car builds up speed, this is commonly called torque multiplication, as the car speed rises, the pressure inside the torque converter builds and engine speed will match the correct gear speed. This is normal under harsh acceleration ad prevents the engine from stalling, like slipping the clutch in a manual car. It is hard on the transmission and wastes fuel, so I wouldn't advise doing this too often.

Or your transmission needs to be checked at your dealer to see if anything is abnormal.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Geneosity

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Bratislava
That's very hard to tell without actually driving or a video. At 2K distance why are you pushing the throttle to 80%. Is that your normal style of driving.

You could be experiencing wheel spin on a slippery surface.

Or, your torque converter is allowing the engine to slip initially as the car builds up speed, this is commonly called torque multiplication, as the car speed rises, the pressure inside the torque converter builds and engine speed will match the correct gear speed. This is normal under harsh acceleration ad prevents the engine from stalling, like slipping the clutch in a manual car. It is hard on the transmission and wastes fuel, so I wouldn't advise doing this too often.

Or your transmission needs to be checked at your dealer to see if anything is abnormal.

i will do a video to show exactly what it is doing.

no there is no wheel spin.

more less in D mode it seems that tranny is reving slightly up when i push acc pedal harder to get torque :)
maybe this is the case. i was more less looking for some diesel + automatic tranny owners to get me some feedback how their transmission is working.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Our family owns 2 Diesel, autos.  :mrgreen:

They are only the 4 speed as fitted in the previous model.

We have a Hy Tech member    Cruiserfied    who will always give you some very good advice, listen carefully to what he has to say.

Offline Geneosity

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Bratislava
Our family owns 2 Diesel, autos.  :mrgreen:

They are only the 4 speed as fitted in the previous model.

We have a Hy Tech member    Cruiserfied    who will always give you some very good advice, listen carefully to what he has to say.

thanks for tip :)

Offline prozac_tr

• 1st Gear

• tr Turkey
I edited my post because i get what u saying;  First of all this is very normal behaivour not just for your car but most of the ATT cars.
Revs go down because it goes kick down mode. Shift goes down to produce rapid acceleration. So that is why rev goes up, than because you are applying  %80 on throttle it understands that you do not want to get kick down mode  and revs goes back to normal. For normal driving conditions.
Do u know what the kick down is?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:32:29 by prozac_tr »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I assume you are referring to overtaking type acceleration not standing start.
80% throttle will normally force the transmission to shift back a gear which will cause RPM to increase. Perfectly normal.
IF the gear is not changing back its most likely the torque converter unlocking to provide extra RPM to put engine in optimum rev range (pretty much what Phil said) Again perfectly normal.
I recon your trans is working as normal, you just need to get used to a new vehicle :D
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Geneosity

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Bratislava
I assume you are referring to overtaking type acceleration not standing start.
80% throttle will normally force the transmission to shift back a gear which will cause RPM to increase. Perfectly normal.
IF the gear is not changing back its most likely the torque converter unlocking to provide extra RPM to put engine in optimum rev range (pretty much what Phil said) Again perfectly normal.
I recon your trans is working as normal, you just need to get used to a new vehicle :D

this is what clarified my worries about ATT :)
thanks a lot!

BTW i30 diesel + ATT is just gorgeous  :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Geneosity,

Is this your 1st Diesel car :question:

Offline Geneosity

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Bratislava
@Geneosity,

Is this your 1st Diesel car :question:

nope, it is my first i30 + diesel + ATT :)
i was mostly driving dualclutch VW cars and old audi 6-speed DSG ATTs...

so was curious about the hyundai ATT they put into i30.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Mine's the same, nothing to worry about 

I've had 4 auto's and this as to be the best autobox I've had, silky smooth changes sometimes you don't realise its changed up a cog
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 13:27:13 by Johnno »
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Geneosity

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Bratislava
Mine's the same, nothing to worry about 

I've had 4 auto's and this as to be the best autobox I've had, silky smooth changes sometimes you don't realise its changed up a cog

yes, i was very pleased with the ATT in i30 when i first drowe it.
very excited how it will last :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal