i30 Owners Club

Android Auto/ 'hey google"

John B · 15 · 2406

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Just had a search for Android Auto problems and the last thread I found on this was  Dazz's in May 2020. It has been Months that I have had the problem of "hey google" not answering me ( nearly as bad as the wife )  :undecided: Google keeps putting out updates but they do not seem to be able to fix it. There are heaps of complaints on the Android forum. I use a Samsung A30 phone and hey google works fine on that ,it is only when I attach it to the head unit in the car when I have a problem.I can push the mic symbol on Android Auto on the head unit and Hey Google works ok but that is not the best option while driving. How many of you guys with Android auto are having a problem?  Would also be interesting to know if Apple play with the iPhone is any better.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hey Siri (Apple)works just fine.

John, if it’s only when plugged into the vehicle then I’d say it’s a Toyota problem :undecided: what’s it like when on a call...can the other person hear you clearly?

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Craig, its fine when on a call except when making a call you cannot hear the phone ringing the other end  ( ring back) as soon as they pick up and talk it is fine. This all started happening after a google update on the phone when I had an Alpine set up in the i30 so I don't think it is a Toyota problem. There has been lots of complaints on the Android forum. Good to know that Apple play works. I will have to try my Grandsons Apple phone on my head unit. Everything on google maps works ok except there is no voice control. :undecided:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Good luck with it John, when I had issues on the iPhone it was reported to Apple technical engineers and took over a year to get done, ended up being referred to Cartronic's to do the fix as Apple had no idea :head_knock:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Craig, Just had a look on the net apparently there has been a problem since January and google cant seem to fix it :( . I would still be interested to hear if anyone else is having problems with Android auto. Would not mind buying an iPhone but I have just spent out a fair bit of cash changing over to the Toyota Kluger plus fitting the Alpine Halo unit, new Bridgestone tyres, a front camera plus I have only just replaced my Oppo phone for a Samsung galaxy phone. Time to rebuild the funds.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi John, I have just been hitting the microphone symbol on my Camry Audio. Haven't tried using Hey Google for a while.. I'll try and remember to test it over the next couple of days..

I had a lot of hiccups with Android Auto in my SR but been quite good since my Hybrid got the free upgrade. My music on my phone drops out for a second here and there which could be the cable. I've eliminated the phone as the problem. Sold my Samsung S8 and upgrade to an S10 (still doing the same)

The only other issue i'm gettin with AA is is playing and replying to text messages. My car will display text messages if i'm only connected by bluetooth but if connected by Cable it will only display messenger messages and sometimes it drops out when I try to send a voice reply and if it's kind of urgent you need to pull over to check if it sent or not.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Dazz, touching the mic on the screen is exactly what I have had to do for ages now, problem is I don't like taking my eyes off the road for a second. Used to be great when you could just say " hey google " where is the nearest fuel station etc. Be interesting to know if  hey google works for you. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazz, touching the mic on the screen is exactly what I have had to do for ages now, problem is I don't like taking my eyes off the road for a second. Used to be great when you could just say " hey google " where is the nearest fuel station etc. Be interesting to know if  hey google works for you. :goodjob2:

I'm kind of wondering if the phone is going into semi sleep mode while in Android Auto. Some sort of battery saver mode.. unfortunately pretty much every App has a heap of settings for things like permissions, notifications, battery saver , etc...

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I have been through the settings a few times and Android auto has permissions set to allow it to stay on when connected. There was also talk about have battery saver turned off but nothing has worked for me unfortunately.  :undecided:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Sorry not sure what head unit we are talking about. Try it without the phone paired to the headunit's bluetooth maybe.If it workss then it implies the headunit's mic is not live until the button is pressed. When it's paired to bluetooth the phone mic will be off.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Lorian, I had an after market Alpine auto Android / Apple car play/ etc fiitted and the problem is with google play voice not working on it. Great suggestion on trying it without Bluetooth connected, I will try that as soon as I can and then post results. :goodjob:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Tried disabling Blue tooth and "hey google " is still not working. Definitely a google problem. The mic must be working ok as audio on phone calls through Bluetooth is fine as is touching the mic on android Auto and google voice working. Just have to wait until google gets it right with an update, problem is, it was an update that started this problem in the first place.  :undecided: Surprised none of the guys using Android Auto on here have not posted a problem.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok John (see what i did there) I tested it a couple of times today and it worked, but in hindsight both times were fairly soon after setting off (as in a few minutes) so phone or AA hadn't had a chance to go into sleep mode or anything). The second time I did have to say OK Google twice, it didn't seem to respond the first time.

BTW I've always said OK Google not Hey google (but doing a search it appears you can use either). Maybe try OK Google just in case it makes a difference?

If I remember I'll try OK Google say 15 or 20 minutes into one of my drives tomorrow.  :cool:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Ok Dazz :winker:  Good that  hey google is working for you. I have tried using ok and hey and the google lady wont answer me (  rude and bad mannered ).  :lol:  Tried my grandsons iPhone and Apple Play worked perfectly ( Nice Siri )  My Samsung A30 worked right up until a few months ago until Google put out an update. Maybe I have to buy a $1000 plus phone. :Shocked: At least using the iPhone has proved that there is nothing wrong with the head unit.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok Dazz :winker:  Good that  hey google is working for you. I have tried using ok and hey and the google lady wont answer me (  rude and bad mannered ).  :lol:  Tried my grandsons iPhone and Apple Play worked perfectly ( Nice Siri )  My Samsung A30 worked right up until a few months ago until Google put out an update. Maybe I have to buy a $1000 plus phone. :Shocked: At least using the iPhone has proved that there is nothing wrong with the head unit.

My AA was installed in the Car at my 15,000 service about 6 months ago. I might tell them not to update it at the 30K service booked for next Tuesday.  :undecided:

Or is it only the phone version that gets updated?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal