i30 Owners Club

Brand new i30 steering controls for audio track selection rocker is backwards?

lemerv · 6 · 3121

Offline lemerv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hey all, picked up my new i30 a week ago from the dealer. Absolutely loving it! But one small issue and I want to make sure I'm not going crazy.

On the steering wheel controls, on the left side, there are two "rocker" buttons they you can flick up or down, and also push in. One of these is for volume and the other is for track selection. The using CarPlay, the track selection is programmed backwards. That is, when I flick it up, it goes back to the start of the track and repeated pushes goes back to previous songs. When flicked down, it goes to the next track.

I thought maybe it's just carp play? So I went to the radio and selected the manual tune setting (so I can see the frequency and use the same button to seek). Sure enough, flicking the button down makes the frequency go up, and vice versa!

I'm sure this is backwards as I also have a 2014 i30 and the same button (albeit older model and design) does what you'd expect - flicking up goes to next track and flicking down goes to previous tracks, or higher/lower frequency on the radio.

This seems so strange to me. Is this by design? Is it a setting I can change? Or is this some kind of factory mistake in how it is programmed?

• 2022 i30 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto and a 2014 GD 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My 2013 Corolla is the same.

Seems to be a "thing"
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^ echo this on my Ioniq
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yep. Swith down = next, Switch up = back.
For me coming from Toyota, that seemed intuitive.
What is less intuitive is when you select next radio station by pressing down, try to return to previous by pressing up, and you get something dfferent. I have still to fathom that one out.

In some countries power switch down is off, up is on, also vice-versa. I guess it is a legacy thing. But maybe Hyundai escaped legacy of rocker switch operation between i30 models.

Don't get me on the subject of indicator stalk on right or left side of steering wheel on Right Hand Drive cars in different countries. That has driven me nuts indicating to turn with wipers acting as semaphores.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline lemerv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Ok thanks for the replies. I thought maybe they stuffed something up!

It is a bizarre choice either way. Guess I’ll have to retrain the old muscle memory  :head_knock:
  • 2022 i30 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto and a 2014 GD 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you're the brave and creative type, you can examine the circuit diagram and see how to 'reverse polarity' to get it to work as you like.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal