i30 Owners Club

More like fuel uneconomic!

wynpd · 29 · 6888

Offline wynpd

• 2nd Gear
OK, getting fed up now. 3/4 of first tank gone in 525 kms - 7.9l/100kms. Where's the magic 800 come from? How did they get 1000+. I do not have a lead foot. I live in the country and do mostly freeway or country road driving. I was so shocked by the amount of fuel used by the first half tank I've been driving like an old lady!

Were they joking? Is this gross misrepresentation?

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi wynpd,

I can see why your not happy. 7.9lp/100 does seem a bit high. Is your i30 a manual or Auto transmission? Also how long have you had the car and how many kilometers have you put on it?
I found that my i30 progressively improved over the first 5000k or so.

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
I found that my first tank of fuel had no length at all to it, untill i decided to try and pump a bit more into it. I generally was spending $100 when i filled ujp and tended to put around 54 litres in (100k's till empty) dont let it go to the first click, let it go alot further past. maybe make sure you put in 50 litres when you have 100k's left and let us know if you see any differance :)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
what's the full story m8?
like did your dealer fill the tank? are you just going off a trip computer?
what state are you in m8?
cheers
ps i have three quarters of a tank used and have 920k up all in sydney

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'm getting consistently 5.5-6.0l/100 in mine and I have a lead foot and drive around all day - about 1100kms city+orbital roads per week,  every week.. ie.. had my car 7 weeks now and just clicked over 10,000k today ..... However - I'm buggered if I can fit 54ltrs in my tank.. I can't squeeze in more than 48ltrs even when the fuel light is on and I have about 50km left on the trip meter.. I don't know where you guys are putting this extra fuel.. and don't try to tell me I don't know how top pump gas, in the late 70's before some of you roosters were born, I was pumping gas at a real service station for a living.. in those days we didn't have self serve.. so I've probably pumped more fuel over the last 35 years than some of you have even seen ...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Foxey,

I didn't realise you were a vintage model! I was born in '56 I thought you were a lot younger than me (You do a good job doing all that drivin' - for an old fella  :lol: )

P.S. I average 5.4 L/100kms .. mix of city and highway (expect better in the summer...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yep - I'm a 56er too.. I keep telling my girlfriend that I "feel my age upon me" ...(it's a classic line from a movie we watched recently) .. it works when I don't want to do something .. but she's getting wise to it now !

Still drivin' after all these years !

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
I've got a receipt here showing 54.44 litres of diesel priced at 1.837 a litre for a total of $100.01

mind you its a bit faded :P) ill ensure I receive a proper receipt and ill take photos just to make sure, hell even a video if you guys want :D

but yeah, i can squeeze alot in and sit on 5.4 ish for fuel consumption, sometimes less but i am a lead foot... allways driving quickly

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I suggest those stations should get their bowsers calibrated..

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hey Foxey,
keep in mind that when your fuel light comes on you still generally have 7-8L of fuel in the tank. Even when the display says you have only 50klm of fuel left, this is a very conservative estimate. Thumper says that he has pushed more than 100 Klms from this point. All  i am saying is that the reason you may struggle to get 50L in your tank is because there may still be more fuel in the tank than you think.

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
Plus the extra in the tube from the diesel cap to the tank (under the rear seat i hear?)

You gotta remember, diesel fuel foams up and needs a little time ot settle so that you can pour more in :o

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Foxy, i doubt you ever pumped diesel m8, in those days very few cars ran diesel most truck had large petrol motors too, you had to start diesels with eather and warm them up took a long time too.
if you realy filled your tank up m8 you would have stuck to caltex vortex as it don't foam as much. once in a while i have to fill up large trucks and the fleet card is shell, so i know shell foams a lot. to fill a diesel to the very top takes time. but since useing the vortex i have found it much easier as a lot less foam. you bring the foam to the top then you look in the filler spout watch the foam go down then you pump more fuel in slowly, keep doing this till it's liquid not foam, with the vortex don't seem to foam as much and foam goes away quicker but i've only used the Caltex at gladsville that sells it ( last time was three weeks ago ) i'll be filling up this week and doing 800k this weekend, for the next three to four weeks i'll be averaging 1,100k+ but mostly country driving normaly do about 300k sydney per week but drive company cars and sometimes trucks. i much prefer filling my own tank now than having driveway service as they could never fill them right up ;)
the bowsers had a lock and you did not have to hold the trigger like we do now.
Cheers mate

Offline wynpd

• 2nd Gear
This is the first tank - the car has done about 650kms and it's auto (on account of hubbie's licence, not mine, although having driven onlu manuals in the UK, autos are still have luxury value for me). I filled it myself but I don't remember how much I paid for but will let it settle when I fill again tomorrow and I'll keep the receipt.

Which reminds me of a joke - how do you know when a salesman's lying? His lips move!

So do you think this will improve with age? As much as 200kms a tank? I don't want to be a lead foot but it would be nice to drive without one eye on the revs.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi wynpd,

Official combined economy figure for manual diesel is 4.7 but for auto it's 6.0 (some of our auto members have matched and bettered this...)

With normal driving in non traffic jam conditions reckon you'll get close to 6.0 .. keep us posted...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "wynpd"
This is the first tank - the car has done about 650kms and it's auto (on account of hubbie's licence, not mine, although having driven onlu manuals in the UK, autos are still have luxury value for me). I filled it myself but I don't remember how much I paid for but will let it settle when I fill again tomorrow and I'll keep the receipt.

Which reminds me of a joke - how do you know when a salesman's lying? His lips move!

So do you think this will improve with age? As much as 200kms a tank? I don't want to be a lead foot but it would be nice to drive without one eye on the revs.

Hi wynpd, sorry if i seemed rude, i did not know you were a lady, i'll be nicer.
well as it's auto it is slightly different, but one of our members that is in Sydney has an auto and from reading a post he made he is quite knowledgeable in they way he drives an auto for economy. maybe Dazz can find his post to bring up a link for you . the trick to get economy with auto is drive carefull but not like an old lady ;)  (please excuse the pun) what you need to do is drive to get it in the highest gear it has leaving in drive then be carefull with throtle to keep it in the 4th gear, don't excellerate took hard as this will cause it to kick back into a lower gear. there are more tricks but i don't like to recomend them all, like you can put the car in the N position while idling, this will help fuel economy, BUT it won't help the auto trans much as everytime you put an auto into drive it just gets more wear and tear leaving in Drive while idling is easier on the auto trans just uses a small amount more fuel about the same amount more as having the air conditioner on.
i think the economy should improve as miles go up. i'm happy with what i'm getting.
John

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Wynpd,

Think this might be what lakes is talkin' about..

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=431&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=d

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com
I fill my SR (petrol) up when the DTE shows " ". I've never put any less than 53 litres in.
It normally clicks of at around 45-48 litres but you can usually get up to  10 litres more in

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hey lakes,
You could of rounded it up to an even $100. :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Eyma,

Put your glasses back on...  :lol:

It's Dave's posting and the docket's for Premium unleaded...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Eyma, Dazz is right :D  but no worries and yes great that the price of diesel has come down.
a Servo near home that sells good quality diesel and has a good turn over sells Mobile Diesel @ $1.62.9 thats the cheapest NON Bio i have seen in sydney the Vortex i bought last week was $1.66.9 out west they are selling diesel @ around $1.75.9 they almost went up to $2 a few months back so seems cheaper :shock:

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
My local Mobil servo in Canberra has had diesel at 166.9 for a couple of weeks now. The differential between petrol and diesel still seems to be around 20%.

Interesting article in the Financial Review over the weekend. Caltex may stop refining unleaded in Aus and concentrate on diesel as the margins are better. Maybe in the longer term diesel supply may improve and the price differential drop.
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
I filled up the Laser today with Premium unleaded.
It was $1.60

Diesel was roughly $1.65 I think.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In UK where I live unleaded is £1.089 per litre
diesel £1.219 per litre
both down on average £0.08 per litre
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just used the last of the wifes free fuel... Filled the Tiida with regular Unleaded at A$153.9 and the i30 with Diesel @ A$178.9  :shock:

BP is the dearest in the town.. :evil: .. now I've used up the card will be going back to Caltex with 4c shopper discount...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Here in Sydney prices are all over the place but cheapest i've seen is $1.62.9 and same servo sold unlead @$1.45.9 was Mobile so $0.17 difference note these are Aussie ( white men ) owners so they give you a fare deal. but now no need for China to stock pile Diesel might see it stay down untill winter hits them

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
Diesel still 179.9 here (Coffs).  Unleaded 149.9.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Wow that is steep.
Deisel has been under $170 p/L here for a couple ofweeks now.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The price of diesel here in sydney is all over the place, like one Caltex i pass sell's diesel @ $1.82.9, another Caltex i pass sell's it @ $1.62.9 thats all normal Caltex Diesel the Vortex premium is from $1.66.9 to $1.70.9 depends what servo Bio Diesel is $1.64.9 BP seems to be around $1.68.9 and Mobile i got today $1.62.9 (i got cheap  :D ) the wooly's Caltex were selling at $1.62.9 today so that would be $1.58.9 with the miserable 4cent discount. how can people still think 4 cents off is good when they first started that con job fuel was around $0.80 so 4 cents was ok, now @ $1.50 it's still only 4 cent discount. strange.
ps i think a more realistic way of discounting would be @ a % rate. but while people still use it it will stay.

Offline Mullet

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Filled up today at $1.63.9 ltr for diesel @ placid arc roadhouse  Coolup. Go on look up where it is. Oh btw i get just on 1000klm per tank when the light comes on . :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal