What gear should I be in?

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Assuming flat road, what gear should I be in in a 1.6 Diesel 6 speed at:

50km/h
80km/h

At 50km/h in 3rd gear the engine is doing 2,000RPM which seems quite high, as with at 80km/h in 5th gear (although at 100km/h in 6th the engine is doing 2,000RPM).

Fuel economy increases if I drop into the next gear, and at the bottom of hills, just drop down a gear to go up.  Been averaging 900km per tank and the car has just turned 10,000km old.

Thanks.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I personally don't take much notice of -- you should be in x gear at x m/kph etc.

I just change up and down depending on the road conditions/engine noise so I keep it purring along without labouring.

As an example -- In my new i30 I can get into 5th at 30 mph and 6th at 35 mph without it labouring....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We did 68,000kms in our 1st i30 (A CRDi Slx 5 speed manual) so haven't had a 6 speed but i would expect at 50kms you would be in 4th thinking about changing to 5th and definitely be in 6th by 80  :confused: (Be interested to see what other 6speed Aussie owners like "Lakes" say)  :goodjob:

Are you brimming the tank to get 900Kms? (I doubt it - or you would get 1000 easily)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I too only have the old five speed and generally drop it into 5th gear at 80 km/h.
Yesterday, when I drove the new model 6 speed I dropped it into 6th at 80 km/h and it seemd quite happy on flat road.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Assuming flat road, what gear should I be in in a 1.6 Diesel 6 speed at:

50km/h
80km/h

At 50km/h in 3rd gear the engine is doing 2,000RPM which seems quite high, as with at 80km/h in 5th gear (although at 100km/h in 6th the engine is doing 2,000RPM).

Fuel economy increases if I drop into the next gear, and at the bottom of hills, just drop down a gear to go up.  Been averaging 900km per tank and the car has just turned 10,000km old.

Thanks.

I find the engine labours less in 3rd at 50km/h and 5th at 80km/h than having it in a higher gear.

My personal experience which seems to differ from what other people have thought, is that I saw my fuel economy improve immediately when I decided I'd run a tank where I constantly tried to keep the car cruising at whatever gear kept it around 1900 rpm, not lower. This is bang on right for 5th gear and 80km/h. Sure the car can handle 6th at that speed but I have found it more economical to be in 5th.

I have gotten several tanks with the car reporting 5.1L/100km (actual closer to 5.3 calculated) with average speed for that tank 38 km/h (peak hour driving including motorway). On those tanks the distance to empty is suggesting >1100 km for that tank at the 850km mark. I always brim the tank when filling.

I get the feeling, increased rpm does not affect economy as much as a petrol car. For me therefore 1900 rpm is not different to 1600 rpm but instead there is a lot more torque at the higher revs. Could this be because of the lubricating properties of diesel?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Thanks guys.

the 900km per tank is topping right up to the top of the filler neck.

Most speeds I'm doing is 50km/h and a few k's at 80km/h - a 10 minute drive twice a day, so am not going very far.

I have also notice that I can do 400km on the first 1/4 of the tank, and then goes down quickly from there, although done 700km and still have 1/4 left, but will only get around 150km from the last bit.  Does anyone else have the same sort of reading from the gauge?
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Thanks guys.

the 900km per tank is topping right up to the top of the filler neck.

Most speeds I'm doing is 50km/h and a few k's at 80km/h - a 10 minute drive twice a day, so am not going very far.

I have also notice that I can do 400km on the first 1/4 of the tank, and then goes down quickly from there, although done 700km and still have 1/4 left, but will only get around 150km from the last bit.  Does anyone else have the same sort of reading from the gauge?

If that's how the gauge reacts, it's probable that the float in the tank pivots from low down in the tank.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I also notice that I can do 400km on the first 1/4 of the tank, and then goes down quickly from there, although done 700km and still have 1/4 left, but will only get around 150km from the last bit.  Does anyone else have the same sort of reading from the gauge?

Yes that is fairly normal for the i30 ( and several other cars i have had too)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I believe the issue with the gauge is logical if you think about it..... :whistler:

The float will only rise to the top of the tank, so any fuel you've put in above and beyond the set full mark of the tank will have to be used before the fuel gauge float will even begin to work. Thus the first 1/4 tank seems to last ages compared to the following.......

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:iws:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal