i30 Owners Club

PD owners - is their front bonnet prone to stone chips?

Guest · 10 · 2607

guest12451
Folks,

I know there's mixed feeling on bonnet protectors (am more talking about the perspex type) - from my own personal use it seems certain cars bonnet design are more prone to stone chips than others.  I am wondering if any PD owners who frequent country roads or similar can advise whether they've found stone chipping on the bonnet of their PD's an issue?

I live rural NSW, the roads aren't great and our previous car (04 Corolla) did get a lot of chips on the bonnet - despite staying back from other cars and avoiding unsealed roads when possible.

The very front of the PD's bonnet above the grille seems like a real chip magnet but I'm wary of just plonking a perspex protector on if it's going to do SFA and also give the looks downer, drag and washing/snag PITA only. Protective film e.g 3M is overkill and plastidip, well dunno about that as seems a look I'd prefer to avoid.

Anyway do let me know how you've found PD's for frontal chips, especially if you've been a rural driver.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would say it isn't.  But, until I got the SR I was a bit of a tail gater (according to SWMBO) I have auto cruise set to 3 car lengths which seems to be a good compromise.  Despite doing over 60K in 2 years including more than 17K on mainland road trips haven't got any noticeable chips yet (touch wood)

I am not a big fan of those leaf catchers but if you do decide to get one, I'd get a clear one and spray the underside the same colour as your car. Makes them almost invisible and hides any grime that builds up underneath! Win, win!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I am not a big fan of those leaf catchers but if you do decide to get one, I'd get a clear one and spray the underside the same colour as your car. Makes them almost invisible and hides any grime that builds up underneath! Win, win! 
Gee, Dazz, and here I thought you were just a pretty face! :crazy1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Why not use PPF (Paint Protection Film) :link: Opti-Coat Stone Chip Paint Protection Film | Opti-Coat Australia if you're concerned with chipping, looks a hell of a lot better than one of those plastic bonnet protectors.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Sooner or later some will hit front, hopefully clear the windscreen.
Our GD had a couple of beauties above the grill and some small ones 1/2 way up bonnet.
 Santa scored a few last year and needed to have a star in windscreen  fixed. Once you are past NCS , it's just a case of "shit happens".   :eek:  :rolleyes:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
I have a bonnet protector and like the look of it (smoked on white paint)

I still have a few stone chips on the bonnet but my front bar is the worst hit.

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
At 5 months old and 11000kms i have attached a photo of the front of my i30 and where the paint is chipped. I do a bit of highway and city driving and have been on some dirt back roads too. Also done a trip from Brissy to Melb return on the inland highway. The bigger chips are between the grill and bonnet.

• 2018 I30 Active

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
A decent argument for vinyl wrapping that entire panel. :eek:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I don't like to think about how many make it through the grill,  but I do check the look of the fins when I wash car.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I don't like to think about how many make it through the grill,  but I do check the look of the fins when I wash car.

Through the grill is the LED lightbar which coped alot of it. That photo is before i cleaned  after i had just driven from Melbourne to Brissy. I got home and had a package which was my new horn so wanted to install it  :)

• 2018 I30 Active

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal