A couple "fined" by a hotel after they wrote a damning review about it

eye30 · 18 · 2951

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A couple "fined" by a hotel after they wrote a damning review about it are to be given a refund, a council has said.

Tony and Jan Jenkinson said they were charged an extra £100 after describing the Broadway Hotel in Blackpool as a "filthy, stinking hovel" on TripAdvisor.

When they queried the charge, they were said to have been told it was incurred under a "no bad review policy" included in the terms and conditions.

The couple stopped at the hotel on their way to Oxford, paying £36 for a night in a double room.

But they said they encountered a string of problems, prompting Mr Jenkinson to post the review on August 30 in which he branded the hotel a "filthy, dirty, rotten, stinking hovel".

The Jenkinsons said they discovered the £100 charge on their credit card statement a few days later.

The hotel's policy said: "Despite the fact that repeat customers and couples love our hotel, your friends and family may not. For every bad review left on any website, the group organiser will be charged a maximum £100 per review."

"The hotel management clearly thinks that they have come up with a novel way to prevent bad reviews. However, we believe this could be deemed an unfair trading practice."

Anyone else put posted reviews either good or bad?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
That's bull. That's gotta be in breach of some fair trading rules.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ Lester..

Yes, we have posted quite a few (mostly fair to good) reviews to Trip advisor and other review sites..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I think they took it easy on the place.....

I would have remained long enough to take some pictures then left.....

Good luck getting the hundred pounds, I bet the transaction has already been reversed.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

@ Lester..

Yes, we have posted quite a few (mostly fair to good) reviews to Trip advisor and other review sites..
Ever been fined for the reviews you have placed?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I am a big fan of TripAdvisor, I never book any hotel unless I have checked them out on TripAdvisor. I have also done about 120 reviews of hotels/restaurants myself. :victory:

I just checked out the Broadway Hotel, Blackpool on Tripadvisor, I have never seen such scathing reviews for what  appears a dump.  Local Council should shut the joint down, it would not even be suitable for illegal immigrants/asylum seekers, of which there are plenty in Ye Olde Dart. :faint:

It is a great tool, but some abuse it, in particular, rivals.  I blasted a hotel fairly in Wollongong the other day, which is rare for me, I hope they don't sue me. :disapp:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:06:43 by Lester »
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Apparently they were Blackpool hotel of the year in 2004.  So maybe the standards have slipped a bit since then.

:link: Broadway Hotel review: ?Filthy hovel?? Our man in Blackpool has seen far worse - News & Advice - Travel - The

That area of Blackpool promenade has had problems in recent years. A few hotels in the area are run down and some house the unemployed now.

They may be regretting that fine due to the worldwide publicity. :)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Use to have some good stag nights in Blackpool when I was a nipper
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@ Lester..

Ever been fined for the reviews you have placed?

No mate, not stayed anywhere quite that dodgy..  :sweating:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
The Tripadvisor reviews of the Broadway Hotel were 95% bad, I am surprised no other reviewer got 'fined. :Shocked:

We are heading over to UK in September/October, doing a couple of cruises and some land travel, will give Broadway Hotel a miss.  It makes the worst  UK Travelodge look like a palace. :confused:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Only have one hotel review on TripAdvisor which I may have to reassess given the state of the Blackpool one!!

:link: Horrific Place - Review of Britannia Hotel Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton - TripAdvisor
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- that's awesome :lol:

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
The Tripadvisor reviews of the Broadway Hotel were 95% bad, I am surprised no other reviewer got 'fined. :Shocked:

We are heading over to UK in September/October, doing a couple of cruises and some land travel, will give Broadway Hotel a miss.  It makes the worst  UK Travelodge look like a palace. :confused:

You could of least booked one night in there and let us all know if its true about the write up :P
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Halfway (or so) between the Queensland border and the Stuart Highway which runs north/ south in the centre of Australia is the Barkly Homestead/ Roadhouse.
When I was planning our return from Darwin I looked at staying there only to find a really bad assessment of the accommodation and staff attitudes on the web. That in itself was bad enough but the clincher was the vitriolic reply posted by the manager.
In fact, the Barkly Homestead is a great place to stop and certainly for a security re-fuel.

But the posts made fun reading and I was astounded at the manager's attitude, even though I could understand it.

Here it is...................

:link: DO NOT STAY HERE.. - Review of Barkly Homestead, Tennant Creek - TripAdvisor
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a classic Trevor .. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I read a few more reviews and responses from Andrew M. Seems like a fair bloke half the time, and a total liar the rest :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal