i30 Owners Club

first impressions and wish list

Johnno · 14 · 21974

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
As some members have reported problems with their motors, I thought I would do a 'wish list' regarding them  on my 2013 cdri nav style 6sp auto. starting from the front. I've had the chariot less than 2 weeks

Front parking sensors, I don't see the point of them being only on the side, i'm sure they could have fitted 2 at the front either side of the number plate considering the rear as 4 sensors and a reversing camera.

Door mirrors, I would of preferred them to close in  when the ignition key is removed or when you lock it with the fob. Only had the car 2 days and parked up in  a car park and forgot to close the mirrors, when I got home and parked in the garage the n/s one didn't retract so I took a chance and gently forced it inwards, I only moved it ever slow slightly and it made a loud click so I tried it again and this time it worked, the only thing I can think of is that it got a knock in the carpark.

Door mirror adjusting toggle switch I would of liked this to be lit up, If there was only me driving the mirrors would be set and forgotten about but there is 2 of us and when the other half jumps in she as a moan she cant find the switch in the dark.

Road noise this is the most disappointing thing about the car, I can't believe how thin the underlay under the carpets is, my Kitchen roll tissue is a lot thicker than the stuff they use for soundproofing. I was thinking about fitting some 3 to 5mm carpet underlay under the carpets to see if it would dampen it down, I've got a long way to go before I can change the Hankooks  for another make and the road surfaces here don't help, when I do drive over some smooth tarmac and that's rare its really quiet.

6 sp triptronic autobox I would love this if I could lock it in a gear, I'm sure I could get a lot higher mpg if this was so. Slightest incline it drops down a cog and it never goes into 6 gear at low speeds [ goes into 6th at about 45 mph] even when I use manual mode, the engine as plenty of low down grunt so I cant see why they can't do this. My Volvo D5 manual is quite happy sitting in top gear at 1000rpm @ 30 mph and still pull away I'm sure the same could apply to the cdri auto. I know this is the same for all manufactures but i'm sure it can be achieved in manual mode.

Seat adjuster that could do with coming a little bit forward, other half complains she cant reach it easily

I've taken out a service plan up to 2020 don't know if I've done the right thing as I've never took my cars in for servicing or repairs as I always done my own servicing and repairs being a ex techie. but if I want to keep up the warrenty it as to be done.

Everything else I love, it looks sexy, it as a lot of gizmo's compared to other manufactures in its class for a lot less in price. Just hope
the aftersales is as good as they say

• 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If you use the search facility on the forum you will find that I had a long running battle with Hyundai head office over the so-called front sensors that only work at the front corners. You could drive straight into a tree and they would not sound.

The weird thing was that the Hyundai options at the time included a front sensor kit for lower specced i30 models which did not come with front sensors as standard. These have 4 sensors across the front of the car and are manufactured by Cobra for Hyundai.

I finished up getting my dealer to fit a Cobra kit so I finished up with two sets of front sensors fitted. The cobra sensors do not show in the instruments - it is just an audio sounder.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I don't know what spec the Nav style compares with in Aust. Is it base middle or top spec?

The front sensors are primarily for use while turning into parking spots etc. I guess they assumed Alan would see the tree right in front of his car  :P

It sounds like you have electric folding mirrors? If so check eBay as there is a kit you can buy and install to make your mirrors fold with the FOB (but you didn't hear that from me)

Can't help with illuminated mirror controls.

Have you considered an underbody spray-on sound deadener as a first attempt? Would be easier that removing your entire interior to put underlay down.

The auto has been programmed to operate as so to achieve best compromise between economy and performance. I'm sure it could have been programmed to be more economical but it would result in a lack-luster performance feel. I would also think that staying in a higher gear while accelerating could potentially use more fuel than dropping down a gear.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
yeah I know what you mean about the auto having to strike a balance but I would of liked a option when using the triptronic but what I have noticed, near where I live theres a short steepish climb for about 200 meters, keeping at the 30mph speed limit in auto it will drop down a cog 4th gear about 75 meters into it, now if I do the same but this time flick it into the manual mode before the climb it will stay in 5th gear all the way to the top and the engine is not labouring and its just within the torque band.

I think this is the next to top model

I have said to myself that with this car I will not modify it like my other cars so i'm gonna leave it box standard.

The only things I've added is mud flaps, mats, side window wind deflectors, rubber boot mat and that thin clear rear bumper film so it wont get scratched when she throws the shopping in as one of the other cars top of the rear bumper looked like a road map of GB it had that many marks on it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi johnno, I was going to say about the sensors and mirrors, but Alan and Tim beat me to it...

Previous attempts to add more soundproofing under the carpet (in the series 1 I think) have produced fairly disappointing results for the time and money involved. As suggested, under body sound deadening might be cheaper and easier...

The problem is, road noise is often transferred to the interior via suspension components which are hard to isolate.. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline roller

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Welling ,Kent
I have a 2014 SE GO  I purchased second hand about a month ago and I have to agree with the mirrors, would be better if the folded in as standard automatically and the controls need to be lit up, considering the mirror switches just below all light up.
Also would have liked an armrest in the rear seat, apart from that a really good car
  • i30 crdi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have to say I disagree with the concept of auto-folding mirrors, especially in the UK.

Consider this: you go out to your car on a wildy frosty morning and get in your i30.

The windows are frozen solid.

Your wipers are frozen solid.

Your mirrors are frozen solid.

How bad would it sound if those same mirrors started to try and unfold when held securely in place by the frost?

I wouldn't want to experience that :(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have to say I disagree with the concept of auto-folding mirrors, especially in the UK.

Consider this: you go out to your car on a wildy frosty morning and get in your i30.

The windows are frozen solid.

Your wipers are frozen solid.

Your mirrors are frozen solid.

How bad would it sound if those same mirrors started to try and unfold when held securely in place by the frost?

I wouldn't want to experience that :(
I see your point Steve.
But, if the windows and wipers are frozen solid, what difference will a couple of frozen side mirrors  make.
The windscreen will probably be covered with a half inch of ice as well.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I see your point Steve.
No, I think you missed my point.

But, if the windows and wipers are frozen solid, what difference will a couple of frozen side mirrors  make.
Thing is, the mirrors will try to unfold when the engine is started. The wipers and windows will not.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I see your point Steve.

Thing is, the mirrors will try to unfold when the engine is started. The wipers and windows will not.

:goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I see your point Steve.

:goodjob2:

Got to love this place .. I can remember the days when such a discussion would have started a 3 page argument!  :snigger: :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
how do these other manufactures get round it with auto folding mirrors? don't forget the wiper motors are not frozen its the wiper blades that are frozen to the windscreen. I have auto or manual wipers on mine and when I turn on the ignition the wipers does 2 passes of the screen as this will be my first winter with the car i'll see how it goes

As anyone else had problems folding unfolding their mirrors in sub minus temperature's ? 

All vehicles  have to be type approved which includes testing vehicles in cold chambers down to -40c at the MIRA

Offline dangem

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newton Abbot, Devon
Hi Johnno, I know what you mean about the road noise. I have the 2013 i30 tourer active diesel auto and the tyre noise is very loud, only covered 10,000 but will have to change the tyres for my sanity. I fitted a "diesel tuning box" to see if that helped with the slow pull away from lights or junctions. Foot to the floor it used to crawl away, now it will spin the wheels and go up the road like a scalded cat. Cost around £99 simple to fit, plug & play,  :link: Diesel Chip Tuning By Pro-Bitz - More Power & Fuel Economy . Has improved the fuel economy and now changes up at lower revs/speed. Can be adjusted for more power or as supplied for economy and slight performance boost.
  • 2013 i30 tourer diesel auto

Offline Letran

• 1st Gear
While seeing someone mentioned, but I must say the noise is the greatest thing I want to improve.

galaxy tab s 10.5 tasche
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:23:13 by Letran »
  • i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal