i30 Owners Club

Booking a service and MOT online

ken_c · 15 · 4140

Offline ken_c

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warwick
Bought a second hand i30 early this year and is planning for annual service and MOT. The car is 4 years old now and I tried to book a service with :link: Book a service.

However, when I reached step 3 Select Work, the choices available are MOT, air conditioning treatment and air conditioning re-gas. I could not find the option for servicing. I found from the service log book that the 3 years service was done by a non-hyundai dealer. Will this void the 5 years warranty so that the 4 years service is unavailable to my car?

Moreover, I always have services and MOT at the same time. Is this a good practice?
  • 2011 i30 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 CRDi, Auto, Red

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Re warranty t&c's you need to read the service book to see what is required as evidence of service when service is not done by hy dealer/authorised service centre.

Why not pop into a dealer/service centre and get their take on this.

Also, was car bought from hy dealer, private or non franchised garage.
Whichever, how was the service history and continuing warranty described at sale?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ken_c

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warwick
Thank you for the reply. The car was bought for a Ford dealer. I think I will talk to a local Hyundai tomorrow to clarify the issue.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
AFAIK, regardless of your warranty status (voided or not), the 4 year service should still be available to your car (after all you pay for them - unless they do something different in the UK).  Compliant services simply continue the validity of the warranty (up to the maximum).   The question will be, as eye30 says, will they consider the 3 year service valid.

I am sought of wondering if the website simply doesn't have that option.  I used manual entry of details on the website, and tried both your location and London to get different dealers... all gave the same three options.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
As for MOT and services at same time... being good practice.   To me yes - assuming they service and check for anything MOTable before doing the MOT (or fix the issues after failure and retest) - and that you hit the time interval (or near to it at the time of the MOT) before you hit the distance interval for a required (for warranty) service.

Course it also sought of depends on if you are maintaining the (or now even have a) factory warranty - I suppose.

My parent's vehicles, in NZ, usually reach time interval before distance - so generally get serviced and WOF (Warrant of Fitness - e.g. MOT) at the same time.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thank you for the reply. The car was bought for a Ford dealer. I think I will talk to a local Hyundai tomorrow to clarify the issue.

Any update?

Offline ken_c

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warwick
I contacted one of the hy dealer nearby and booked a service + MOT next week. Will report here again next week after the service. Thank you very much for all the replies! :)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Were you able to establish your warranty status?  Or are you going to do that at the service?

Offline ken_c

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warwick
Got service and MOT at a local hy dealer at last. The ball joint has to be replaced as it is damaged with a crack on it and not covered by warranty. Cost £120 including parts and labour but took 3 days to get it replaced. Service and MOT cost  £340. :( I have supplied my own engine oil so it is quite expensive. I usually went to another hy dealer at Stratford  and they charged one or two hundred pounds for MOT and service. I never had to collect my car two days later. Lesson learnt.

Anyway, the car is still under hy warranty. But I will definitely go to another garage for service and MOT next year.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Got service and MOT at a local hy dealer at last. The ball joint has to be replaced as it is damaged with a crack on it and not covered by warranty. Cost £120 including parts and labour but took 3 days to get it replaced. Service and MOT cost  £340. :( I have supplied my own engine oil so it is quite expensive. I usually went to another hy dealer at Stratford  and they charged one or two hundred pounds for MOT and service. I never had to collect my car two days later. Lesson learnt.

Anyway, the car is still under hy warranty. But I will definitely go to another garage for service and MOT next year.

Great that you know it is still under Hy warranty - yeah I would if you have got it done cheaper elsewhere!

And faster too - though I wonder if they had to order the part in (though three days seems a bit naff unless the order timing was really bad)

So total cost was £120+£340? - if so a little ouch.

Offline ken_c

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warwick
yes, total cost is  £460. :( That's almost tenth of the value of the car.
The first time, they ordered one with wrong size, so had to order again. After the 5 year warranty, I think I will go to other non-hy garage.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I have been quotes £255 for 4th service on my petrol 1.4 plus £54 for mot .
Total £309.
And i will not be supplying my own oil!

Does the bill have details of each item including the mot and labour.

Why not scan in here but remove personal details etc
Ps
If so, the Mot is zero rated!

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
yes, total cost is  £460. :( That's almost tenth of the value of the car.
The first time, they ordered one with wrong size, so had to order again. After the 5 year warranty, I think I will go to other non-hy garage.

Wow so the Hy dealer's Service Center ordered the wrong part - that would explain the time.   They should have known which part number they needed via. looking it up in Hy system. :rolleyes:

Yup, no need to continue (except potential service campaigns) after warranty expires.

Offline ken_c

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Warwick
My i30 is automatic and uses diesel but it is still too expensive. The itemised costs are not easy to follow :
(Sorry for the very low quality photo as the max size is50K.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 21:26:01 by ken_c »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Ken,

Thanks for that, it is readable. See below for next time...

You can post bigger pictures by hosting them on Imgur or Photobucket (or similar) as per Welcome section tutorial.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal