i30 Owners Club

Cruising the southern highlands

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The southern highlands?? This is the granite belt region south of Warwick. Joan and I took a few days out to go visit the area famous as a food and wine region. Traveling mid week we got the place to ourselves including one of the best winery restaurants in Australia where we had undivided attention from the chef. The area is about 1000m above sea level and I thought the car felt a bit sluggish on the far side of the range although I might have been imagining things. Fuel consumption on the open road varied from 5 to 6l/100 depending on the terrain. More like 6 going up the range, 5-ish on the flat bits and just under 5 when driving gently on the flat bits. We picked up a few stone chips as well which is unfortunate but unavoidable.

It was plenty cold too, something the region is also famous for with frosts on each of the days we were there.

Ballandean, Qld.

Cold it was, -14C overnight.

The deserted barrel room restaurant - really excellent food and stellar service on this night as we were the only ones there. The barrels are german in origin made in the 1870's.

Tenterfield - not every day two Maserati s get to park next to an i30.

Tenterfield and the border ranges from Mt McKenzie.

The Qld/NSW border Wallangarra. The station there has standard gauge tracks on one side and narrow gauge tracks on the other. This was a colonial response to aid the collection of customs for goods moving into Queensland in days gone by. Everything had to get moved from one train to another at the border. There is also an army base there which was a munitions store during ww2. In those years it is said that the railway station was pretty busy.

And for no reason at all, a fully functional TARDIS in the railway museum. Go figure.

Click here for all images.

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As usual, great pics.

Very low humidity would account for the sluggish feel of the car.

:goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good stuff. We've done the same thing a couple of times in recent years. Lovely area.
But you fooled me with the "Southern Highlands" heading. I didn't know the area was called that. I only knew of the NSW Southern Highlands.  :-[
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Great pictures and story, Keith. 

When I was living in Toowoomba, I found my i30 to be a little sluggish too.  I put it down to the altitude, there is less oxygen to burn so less fuel goes in to keep the mixture right, therefore less power.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Good stuff. We've done the same thing a couple of times in recent years. Lovely area.
But you fooled me with the "Southern Highlands" heading. I didn't know the area was called that. I only knew of the NSW Southern Highlands.  :-[

The southern highlands thing turned up in some tourist brochure we picked up. Kinda makes sense to me until you cross the border.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I think it's fine, they're South and High, a bit like the far country, or the never never, just exactly where are they. Typical Oz, great.  :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think it's fine, they're South and High, a bit like the far country, or the never never, just exactly where are they. Typical Oz, great.  :goodjob2:
True, Phil.
Just threw me beause he's been posting fb pics from the Stanthorpe-Tenterfield area and suddenly mentioned the southern highlands. I was surprised how much distance he's covered in a few hours.  :-[

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
In NSW we call the Mittagong/Bowral/Moss Vale area the 'Southern Highlands' nice driving there too. :mrgreen:  As for the Granite Belt arund Warwick/Tenterfiled, a couple of decent wineries up there. :goodjob:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Been years since passing through there on way to Bris. I think about going there, but it's either flooded or in drought. I like Armidale & the Warrumbungle ranges.  :goodjob2:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
True, Phil.
Just threw me beause he's been posting fb pics from the Stanthorpe-Tenterfield area and suddenly mentioned the southern highlands. I was surprised how much distance he's covered in a few hours.  :-[

Did I mention there was a TARDIS??  :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
True, Phil.

Did I mention there was a TARDIS??  :)
Oh yeah.
Sorry.
 :head_butt:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Nice story, but I reckon your third pic is blurred.
Did no one else notice this?  :undecided:
The only part in focus is the car antenna ( :wtf:) but the actual scenery is very fuzzy.
Pm me Keith and I'll try to help you out with a few of my special tips.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Your right Dave. I took a close look at your technique and have tried my best to emulate it. It took a lot of effort to get a consistent focus across the image but I think I've nailed it.  :goodjob2:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

See?
That's much better.
You're a fast learner.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Your right Dave. I took a close look at your technique and have tried my best to emulate it. It took a lot of effort to get a consistent focus across the image but I think I've nailed it.  :goodjob2:

(click to show/hide)

The best thing about Dave's "technique" is that it is hard to see any flaws in the image ... :winker: :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal