i30 Owners Club

Still in Italy

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Rome-ing about again at present but heading back to Oz later in the week. I mentioned the car museums elsewhere (Bologna, Marenello, Modena) however we have been in Perugia and all over Umbria, Florence and probably other places I can't recall. Umbria is called the green heart of Italy and is quite sensational. I am yet to put up all the pics from Castelluccio but that was a great day. Awesome place.

It's not been a photographers holiday but I did take some pics and even put a few of them on the gallery. I'll eventually get round to tagging them at some point so you know what you are looking at.

Meanwhile, enjoy:  :link: Italy « Keith and Joan's Gallery
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Some very nice photos there Keith...actually all the photos in your gallery are bloody brilliant  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Thanks Craig, appreciate the kind words. Glad you enjoyed them.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You're welcome :goodjob2:, I'm still enjoying them and reading up on some of your photography tips :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Been enjoying your trip via Facebook Keith. I get the impression Joan is having a great time too.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
And we are back in Oz. The trip to/from is brutal but well worth the effort.

A quick note on the kit used since I know there are a few here with interest in the details. I've very deliberately used the Sony a200 (2008 vintage) on account of its size and performance characteristics. The shutter speed and handling aren't as good as the a700's but its smaller/lighter with better low light performance and frankly handles like a dream after using it for some years now. Perfect for landscapes, interiors and general travel photography.

I've taken three lenses, the 16-105 (2008 vintage) which is a real workhorse and with which most images were made. The Sigma 8-16 for the uber wide angle images, useful in the villages, interiors and anywhere that 16mm was not wide enough. And a late substitution, the Minolta 100-300 APO (1993 vintage) in and 70-300G out on size and weight grounds. One is much more compact that the other and from experience isn't used that much anyway. Since I carried the whole kit everywhere, light and compact was more critical then absolute performance and it worked well. I took 4 batteries and only ever needed one. I also too 4 CF cards but only ever needed one.

I also bought a new tripod for this trip: :link: COMPACT ADVANCED WITH 3-WAY HEAD BLACK MKCOMPACTADV-BK - Compact Series New | Manfrotto

Nowhere near as solid as my big tripods but proved to be just fine for the times I needed it with the lightweight kit. It is very compact and fairly light with a modest payload. It deploys quickly and it looks like the camlocks are far stronger than the tripod it replaced so its going to last longer without needing repairs. The old one had weak camlocks sadly otherwise it was a good performer for a compact tripod. It turned out to be cheaper to buy the new one than repair the old one making the decision to update easy.

Other gear used, a basic Dell laptop of some sort and Lightroom 6. I was pleasantly surprised when I got home to find the images produced on the laptop to be quite Ok for the most part since the screen isn't awesome. My eyes have had some sort of meltdown while I was away as well, so I couldn't really see as well as I can with the big monitors at home here.

The whole lot fits easily into a pacsafe 250: :link: Metrosafe 250 GII anti-theft shoulder bag | Pacsafe which also contained all the other stuff one should have in their man bag. It didn't obviously scream "camera equipment" as regular camera bags do which was the reason for getting it.

What might have been better is if I remembered to take the sling for the camera. If you've not seen these before they are a revelation. I've got the double since I mostly use two cameras at the same time. The camera slides up and down the sling which means its out of the way when not in use and easy to bring to your eye when needed. I used the existing camera strap on the a200 in the same way. It doesn't work as well, but was sufficient given the camera is light. For those of you who put the strap around your neck, try it this way - I think you'll find it works better and your neck won't hurt at all after a big day out. Certainly with the BR strap I can carry two big cameras and lenses all day without any issues.

:link: BlackRapid Double & Double Slim Straps

All up a good working kit and got the job done nicely.

:link: Gear « Keith and Joan's Gallery

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal