i30 Owners Club

VSM, ESC, Brake control etc

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi,
Can someone give a definitive run down of what happens when you switch off the ESC button and when you switch it off and hold it down for 3 seconds?

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi 567 I30.  Not sure what you mean about a "definitive run down" but tell me if the photos I took in my car help.
For those who didn't know what the VIM/ESC acronyms mean (like me), VSM is Vehicle Stability Control and ESC is Electronic Stability Control. 

1.  Default mode - my dash before ignition was turned to ON i.e. the ESC dash icon is not shown.

2.  Pressed the ESC button once.  The ESC OFF dash icon appeared (with a quick message showing the traction control is disabled).  So, the ESC function is now disabled/turned OFF. 

3.  Pressed the ESC button again to remove the ESC OFF dash icon. 
      I then pressed and held the ESC button for 4 seconds. 
     The ESC OFF icon and the VSM icon appeared on the dash (with a quick message saying the traction & stability control systems were disabled).

4.  Pressed the ESC button again to remove the ESC OFF and VSM icons.

5.  Had a coffee and some cream biscuits. :)
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Basically on my 2013 it says this
I was wondering what they mean by brake control?
It then continues to talk about vsm , I am trying to work out what the meanings are, off I would assume is traction control off but pressing for 3 seconds turns off the extra brake control, then there's vsm as well.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
...I was wondering what they mean by brake control?
It then continues to talk about vsm , I am trying to work out what the meanings are, off I would assume is traction control off but pressing for 3 seconds turns off the extra brake control, then there's vsm as well.

Ok, that explains what you wanted to know just a little better ( :wink:).  I'm not sure, need to think about this a bit more but going out now so, later.

FYI, relevant pages from my 2018 i30 Owners Manual.  (Clicking your mouse on a page will enlarge it, if needed)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I was wondering what they mean by brake control?
...[ESC] off I would assume is traction control off but pressing for 3 seconds turns off the extra brake control, then there's vsm as well.

I'm back.  ESC - Traction Control - VSM - ABS are an alphabet soup of inter-related systems.   When I first tried reading up on them years ago (for club level motorsport) my head spun with the number and complexity of sensors and functions.  When the books started talking about yaw sensor measurements on how much a vehicle is rotating around its vertical axis and how a three-axis accelerometer module detects both lateral and longitudinal acceleration, I just closed the book!

Today I tried focusing on "brake control" and ESC.  So, according to our Owners Manuals, when the vehicle has its ESC OFF, both the traction control function of ESC (engine management) and the brake control function of ESC (braking management) are disabled/OFF.

Traction Control function of ESC (engine management)
“This active safety feature was engineered to allow vehicles to make optimal use of the accelerative traction available on any given surface by measuring wheelspin, and then controlling it by employing the engine's electronic throttle, fuel, or spark controls to trim power and slow a spinning wheel.”  May also use the brake system (ABS).

Brake Control function of ESC (braking management)
“Modern stability control systems leverage all the hardware required by the traction control and anti-lock brake systems.  (A steering wheel position sensor joins the brake and accelerator-pedal sensors to inform the system of the driver's intended path and speed). 

“Consulting all the [relevant] vehicle’s sensors, a more powerful computer then compares the vehicle's actual motion with the driver's intention.  If the two don't match, the system applies individual wheel brakes (as well as engine controls, if necessary) to bring the vehicle's path into alignment with the driver's intention.”

Vehicle Stability Management
"VSM is a function of the ESC system to help ensure the vehicle stays stable when accelerating or braking suddenly on wet, slippery and rough roads where traction over the four tyres can suddenly become uneven.”  I don't know how much "brake control" VSM exerts, just that it's joined at the hip with the other systems to give us our wonderful Hyundai driving experience.  :)

@567 I30.  Hope this has contributed and it was interesting for me to revisit some of this stuff.

Maybe one of our techie guys could more properly explain because I've got nothing else.

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks Terry, 👍, just makes it difficult to understand when there's no actual description of what these acronyms do.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Thanks Terry, 👍, just makes it difficult to understand when there's no actual description of what these acronyms do.

I think there are explanations in the broad for each one, but imo the problem is understanding how they interact with each other in different driving conditions and situations.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal