i30 Owners Club

Diesel engine idle on cold frosty mornings - yes or no

eye30 · 78 · 26872

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its possible they may have some kind of louvre set up in front of the radiator that only opens when the engine temp reaches normal running temp.  :idea: :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
yes, the heater is still just piped in to the engine cooling system - it's a good idea, except for the delay you sometimes get when you're waiting for heat. I seem to vaguely recall that there was a seperate element in the HVAC system for the i30 CRDi because they were concerned that it took too long for heat to come through? My brain's swiss cheese tho so I may have dreamed that...  :lol:

The blind in the engine bay sends a shiver down my spine - does anyone else remember when Allan Moffat had the brilliant idea of getting his RX-7's engine nice and warm on the Bathurst warm-up lap by blocking off all the cooling ducts but he ended up cooking the motor and missing the race?

I certainly wouldn't want to rely on any automated system that closed the air out of the engine bay to work for 20 years. Especially given so many cars don't even have temperature gauges anymore - you wouldn't even know it was malfunctioning until the head gasket decided to join you in the front seat...  :rolleyes:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
When I was a kid most folk drove round town with bits of cardboard box in the grill during winter. I can recall my dads being their for weeks on end (him only doing short trips).

I presume the car had a thermostat anyway, but who knows, I can just remeber the cardboard, not the make and model.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL the cardboard reminds me of a 120y my dad had... someone removed the thermostat and he just put cardboard in it because he was too cheap to spend the $10 on a thermostat HAHAHA

Offline Brew69

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide SA

• 2010 SLX CRD 1.6 Manual. <3 (continental silver)
Having read this thread, it has me bewildered. One of the things i love most about the i30 is how quickly my heater works. I don't do any warm ups in the mornings (we leave for work at 4.45am). I just get in and drive. I set the climate control in winter to 28 deg celsius. I drop my wife at the train station 5 kms away which is all 60 k/ph and before we get to the station we have to reduce the heat to 23 as it gets too hot in the car. I know we don't have savage winter here, but the mornings are usually about 3 - 6 deg.

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
^^ You must have a petrol version?
It was mentioned earlier that the petrol engines warm up faster than a diesel engine.

Over the past few days I've tried both (warm-up or drive-away).
The drive away def warms the engine quicker than sitting there idle.
So the only way to combat the frosty windows before I drive away is to splash cold water over the car.
Also if it is frozen then it really isn't a good idea for the windscreen to have a blast of hot air (even water for that matter) otherwise you'll be calling o,o,o,o'brien.

Our Territory is the same Brew69 it warms up so quick it's not funny.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
brew69 is in SA and hes car is a crdi.  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Yep it says so under his avatar... :D

If you press the windscreen defrost button on the models with climate control (SR & SLX) it does defrost the windsreen quicker (and sometimes it does actually come on by itself) but because it needs the aircon on as well the wife doesn't like the cool air that comes with it  :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and it cant be a 1.6 petrol as hes been a member for a while now and a 1.6 petrol has only just been released here.  :wink:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

Yep it says so under his avatar... :D

If you press the windscreen defrost button on the models with climate control (SR & SLX) it does defrost the windsreen quicker (and sometimes it does actually come on by itself) but because it needs the aircon on as well the wife doesn't like the cool air that comes with it  :rolleyes:

Dazz

You do know that you can select windscreen demister and then deselect air con?

Regards

Daniel

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila

Looks like winter has arrived to southern hemisphere... Sounds like you could benefit from some of the winter gear we use here in Finland, especially the Defa engine and interior pre-heaters. That would solve your issues with frost and cold start-ups.

Take a look at this thread for pics and more info:
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5320.0.html

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

and it cant be a 1.6 petrol as hes been a member for a while now and a 1.6 petrol has only just been released here.  :wink:

OK OK OK I see your point.  :-[

Sorry for the interruption, we'll now resume to normal transmission.....

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
sorry mate,i was just saying.   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

sorry mate,i was just saying.   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Nah that's  8) I'm just going along with it......

Anyway that device in saunamans link looks like it would warm the car up quick smart.
Although we do get cold winters, I dare say it wouldn't be anything like what others get.
Also with an element glowing like that I'd have some concerns over risk of fire there too.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
lol no winter in australia is worth the winter gear you get in finland!!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and us mebournians think it gets cold,I'm glad i don't have to go through a snowy winter.   :eek:

Offline Brew69

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide SA

• 2010 SLX CRD 1.6 Manual. <3 (continental silver)
and us mebournians think it gets cold,I'm glad i don't have to go through a snowy winter.   :eek:
We have been giving you good competition for winter this year. Regular 12 and 13 deg maximums. It''s almost time for me to move to Qld lol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
*agent wonders if there is anyone left in melbourne* mexicans... bloody mexicans taking over qld and bringing there crazy time shift ideas of daylight savings here *shakes fist* LOL

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

^^^......You are getting sleeeepy......You are getting verrrry sleeeeeepyyyy......
When I click my fingers you'll wake up and you'll go and change your clock........you'll then realise how much you looooooove daylight saaaaavinnnngs........

<snap>

Did that work? :P

Bloody left wing qlders and their resistance...... :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my curtains will fade.!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
lol no winter in australia is worth the winter gear you get in finland!!

Well, the interor heater was just 59€ at the accessories store...  :wink:

Btw, the lowest temperature in June (Finnish mid-summer) was -4°C. However, the forecast for the weekend promises 27-29°C maximums.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

LOL only the mentally chalanged think that *rolls eyes* there is still the same amount of daylight, you can never change that...

i just think its a waste of time... honestly what the point of moving the clock forward 1 hour?

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.

LOL only the mentally chalanged think that *rolls eyes* there is still the same amount of daylight, you can never change that...

i just think its a waste of time... honestly what the point of moving the clock forward 1 hour?

We already have water restrictions and sprinkler bans, the last thing we need over here is another hour of sunlight to dry things even more!  :lol:

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Ask any heavy truck owner if he drives off without warming up ?  the answer is no- great way to stress your turbo etc before it evenly warms up. Guy at work had to replace his turbo in his prado after only 60k due to not warming and cooling it.

I live in the hills and always warm up before loading the engine up my steep road, otherwise its a rude shock to all components being loaded up and heatd up rapidly and unevenly.  Less important if your only going to get up to 60km/h with a gently right foot. 

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
I can only repeat what I said in another thread ( https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=18578 ) :

According to an engine technician I know, the experts agree that it doesn't make any sense if you try to warm up an engine (especially a diesel) in idle before driving off.
They say that you do more bad than good to your engine if you do so and that it's better to warm the engine while driving in not too high revs.
(Actually with a diesel engine you don't need to rev high even on the highway - except if you are in Germany and plan to drive 200 km/h)

Maybe it's different with heavy truck engines.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I can only repeat what I said in another thread ( https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=18578 ) :

According to an engine technician I know, the experts agree that it doesn't make any sense if you try to warm up an engine (especially a diesel) in idle before driving off.
They say that you do more bad than good to your engine if you do so and that it's better to warm the engine while driving in not too high revs.
(Actually with a diesel engine you don't need to rev high even on the highway - except if you are in Germany and plan to drive 200 km/h)

Maybe it's different with heavy truck engines.

That's also what I've learned.

I only idle it when I need to defog the windows in winter.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I was always to drive away slowly until normal operating temp is reached, but don't idle.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I was always taught that it's better to drive away gently to get the engine up to proper operating temperature quickly, rather than let it idle and warm up slowly.
It's just something I've always done with petrol and diesel engines.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I was always taught that it's better to drive away gently to get the engine up to proper operating temperature quickly, rather than let it idle and warm up slowly.
It's just something I've always done with petrol and diesel engines.

Me 2

Picture yourself outside on a frosty morning. (never mind how or why you're there.) :mrgreen:

To warm up most effectively, would you rather stand still, or gently move about, brisk walking etc. It's the same for a motor. Our cars are 1300kg, so to get the car rolling requires gentle engine effort, which in turn, provides more internal engine heat due to imposed load. Natuarally, the screen needs to be clear and safe.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal