i30 Owners Club

Different types of diesel fuel

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I would have thought this question would have been asked before, I tried searching so apologies if it has been!

Having never owned a diesel before can anyone give recommendations as to what brand of diesel (from Aussie petrol stations) works well? I went to fill up yesterday for the first time and had the following options from servo stations near me:
- 'Diesel' @ $1.02/l (Metro)
- 'Vortex Premium Diesel' @ $1.13/l (Caltex)
- 'Truck Diesel' @ $1.20/l (BP?)

I usually buy petrol from the local Metro (owned by Mobil) as it's usually the cheapest around, but as I wasn't sure I went middle of the road and went with the Caltex premium diesel on this first fillup. Is 'truck diesel' any different from normal diesel, I've never seen that term before?

Are there any diesels I should stay away from, or any recommended by people? Cheers
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
All Diesel fuel in Oz is acceptable for your vehicle, however, the Caltex & BP do not froth as much as the cheaper alternative fuels. So if you want to fill your tank completely and as fast as possible, use a lower frothing fuel.

I don't think there is any difference in truck Diesel except for the high speed pump they use. However, you can only fill as fast as the frothing blow back allows, of course.

Use high volume servo's as the fuel will be fresher and less likely to have any water in their tanks. Water destroys Diesel engines. We use an additive to protect against this eventuality, many members her do not, it's a personal choice.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
I go for servo's that have a high volume of diesel traffic as I got diesel algae from the local woolies servo.
The additive is very good, I'm just forgetful.
The car diesels have additives that the truck diesel doesn't.

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I am a big fan of the Caltex Vortex Diesel.  The local Caltex here always has trucks, 4wd and cars filling up with diesel.  As others have said, make sure it is a busy service station with high turnover.  I have heard of some people having problems with low turnover "discount" service stations, like Woolies.  You don't see many trucks in there filling up, so the diesel has probably been in the tank longer.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :whsaid:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Excellent thanks for the replies, I'll hunt around my neighbourhood for some decent high traffic servos :)

Now the only trick will be to get the misses to adhere to high traffic servos, she still fills up our Grand Vitara with  e10 sometimes  :head_butt:
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Offline william

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
We use bp ultimate, filled the Ute up at the local independent 0.97c per litre it's run of the mill diesel but at that price it was a satisfing fill up  :crazy1: :whistler:
  • i30 wagon 09

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
I regularly fill up at my local Woolies and haven't had any problems, maybe the location has a lot to do with it as we are on acreage and would be classed as semirural so there may be a higher concentration of diesels resulting in a good turnover.

The only problem I have had was while on a long trip I had to buy at one of the independents on a major highway and it was the worst economy I have ever had from my FD.

Cheers
Steve
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I use BP Ultimate hi-flo (truck) pumps - when in Australia - but it's high volume and discounted so it works well regardless. As a Costo member in Adelaide, I used to grab tankfuls of their stuff for the runs to Melbourne, but at their amazingly low prices, it was always busy, clean and economical - never had a fuel problem. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal