i30 Owners Club

Lack of power, now have flashing engine light.

Offline Gazza-75

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      SA
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong area to post this.

I've had some endless issues with my '17 (MY18 facelift) SR over the last 3 weeks listed as follows:

- Car started shuddering with engine light flashing and loss of power on a short trip a day after the car went on a 100km long drive on the weekend.
- Investigated a bit and found that the spark plug in cylinder 1 was completely dead. Replaced all four plugs. Car still misfiring while still sitting in the garage and didn't take it out on the road.
- Decided to get it to my mechanic who got his OBD scanner on it and said that it's reporting cylinders 1, 3 & 4 are misfiring. He then said the coils will need replacing. I pretty much coasted the car home again as I'm on a few km's away.
- Ordered 4 new coilpacks and fitted which made no difference either. $250 down the drain.
- Decided to replace the fuel filter as it has not been done on my car as yet (110k on the odo) - No change.
* Thanks to @mbeari30 's post on replacing the filter, it was invaluable, and I got mine done really easily.
- At this point I turned my attention to the catalytic converter as I did notice a bit of a a rotten egg/sulphur smell which was a lot less noticeable after replacing the plugs tbh. Not scientific, but I banged my fist on the cat and it sounded like a ton of small stones rattling around. This seems to me like the Cat is pretty much stuffed. I'll try and get the car to an exhaust place to confirm the same.

The car was out of warranty about a year ago, but I have had performance issues for well over 2 years which Hyundai just shrug off and reset the ECU. It was/is rather dangerous when you put your foot down to pull away and experience quite a hectic turbo lag.

Has anyone else had so much hassle like this?

My other concern is what has caused the plug to die and, potentially, kill the catalytic converter as well.

Lastly, was thinking of replacing the cat (if it is stuffed) with a XFORCE 1.6T STAINLESS STEEL DUMP & CAT KIT (2.5 IN.) (Sold by Cherry tuning) as someone in my area is selling one for only $350 and may be cheaper than replacing the stock standard cat. Anyone have thoughts/experience with this?

Cheers everyone.

• 2017 I30 SR 5 Door Hatch, Turbo Petrol 1.6lt, Auto, Red

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal