i30 Owners Club

I30 Diesel, non starter after service and MOT.

Guest · 42 · 11713

Vance61
After all the problems and having the battery changed, 1 week later I try to start my car, CLICK! Same thing again. :disapp:
I made sure they had tightened the battery connections when they put the new battery on, all was OK.

After a few minutes of turning the ignition key and it just clicking, I put some downward pressure on the key, then turned it very slowly. To my suprise it turned over perfectly and started. Now I am confused, was the original problem not the battery after all?

Could it be a wiring fault in the ignition switch or maybe a signal problem from the key to the immobiliser? The immobiliser check light is OK, once the starter does turn it does so quite normally. When I turned the car back off then tried starting again, it started 4 times in a row with no problem.
I think a call to my dealer in the morning to ask them to confirm how they diagnosed a battery fault and if the problem still exists, what is it? also why did they change the battery if that is not the problem.

Anyone else had or ignition switch issues?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
To me it sounds like the contact set in the ignition switch, as you pointed out yourself.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We had a once only starting issue with my wife's 2.0 petrol CW (My11 model) which we put down to a hiccup with the immobilizer..  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Vance61
Had a call from my dealer today, they are sending out their master technician in the morning to see the problem. It's usually on a first morning start that the starting problem occurs.

Trouble is it started first time this morning!! Sod's law dictates that when the guy is here it will again fire up .

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Had a call from my dealer today, they are sending out their master technician in the morning to see the problem. It's usually on a first morning start that the starting problem occurs.

Trouble is it started first time this morning!! Sod's law dictates that when the guy is here it will again fire up .
Is s/he from hy or an employee of the garage?

the qualifications of the master tech is that s/he knows how to turn the diagnostic machine on!
:lol:

Be interested to hear the outcome.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Vance61
Although a tech from the dealer, he is credited with the Master a Technician tag by Hyundai, I had a chat and learned he also worked for Volvo and Jaguar dealerships, again rating high in their organisations. Anyway, he came as promised, I turned the key and....it started first time. In fact it hasn't failed to start all week.
He had a good look at all the connections, checked a few other things and was as confused as me. Basically, if it happens again I must ring him, he will come out, leave me a loan car and if my car subsequently starts, he will keep it for a few days to fully go over it. Trouble is I bet it will cost??

So no closer yet to finding the root cause.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Although a tech from the dealer, he is credited with the Master a Technician tag by Hyundai, I had a chat and learned he also worked for Volvo and Jaguar dealerships, again rating high in their organisations. Anyway, he came as promised, I turned the key and....it started first time. In fact it hasn't failed to start all week.
He had a good look at all the connections, checked a few other things and was as confused as me. Basically, if it happens again I must ring him, he will come out, leave me a loan car and if my car subsequently starts, he will keep it for a few days to fully go over it. Trouble is I bet it will cost??
So no closer yet to finding the root cause.
Over a period of 4 months returned 7 times with the same problem, eventually the "Master Technician" agreed and simply replaced the immobilizer.
No more problems.

Vance61
Good evening fellow i30 owners

Following my last posting regarding the technician visit, my i30 has been starting without trouble UNTIL TODAY!!
Took a short drive to my dads house, local roads and 2 miles of dual carriageway and stayed for about 4 hours. Came out to go home, turned the key and "Click" not turning over again. Tried 3 times and nothing. On the fourth try it started perfectly. When it is running there is no power loss or hesitation, I rang the dealer and they still could offer no help.

I have checked every connection, earth strap and screws, fuses and relays. I am at a loss to understand it. I am driving down to Devon on Saturday and it has really caused me a loss of confidence in my I30.

Has anyone ever had a similar intermitent problem.
Sorry to keep on about this issue, but I have no idea what to do next. :confused: :undecided:

Thanks again.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
So when it wasn't starting did you notice your dash lights? Were they nice and bright?
You definitely hear I click from the engine bay? But engine does not turn at all?
If yes to all highly suspect starter motor itself.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I had something similar when i had my accent.

It seemed to happen when the car was parked at a certain angle as if any fuel in the pipes and fuel filter had run back to the fuel tank.

As i was buying my first i30 never had it fixed.

Wondered whether it was fuel pump?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, if the dash lights remain bright, then there's no current draw by the starter motor, it should be replaced. The click in the engine bay is the solenoid engaging the starter motor with the flywheel ring gear.

If the lights on the dash go dim, then current is being drawn, but the starter will not turn, it should be replaced.

Just my opinion.  :confused:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal