i30 Owners Club

Coolant Leak

Offline Dirtboy_aus

• 2nd Gear
Hey guys
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem
basically I'm a mechanic and service our I30 (CRDI) my self at work i did the 22,500km noticed slight green to white dry coolant mark down the back of the block thought it was the water pump gasket weeping so i kept an eye on the overflow bottle to check to see if it was using any. At the 30,000km service had a closer look and we had lost 1/4 inch in the overflow bottle between services when i got it on the hoist at work the green mark had traveled along where the head gasket is on the back of the block check the front side of the block and the mark on there was fresh when the engine cover is removed you can see the coolant mark under the intake manifold so i took it back to where we brought it (use to work where we brought it PD ed it and all) and told the service manager and he said that they don't have coolant leaks and had never heard of it so i booked it in for them to check and got a phone call saying that it had a coolant leak, got told he had to find out what Hyundai wanted to do waited THREE weeks :'( hadn't heard anything when in and seen them and got told that they have to replace the headgasket and that it was to be ordered it that was TWO weeks ago and still waiting :evil:. Not too happy with how long it is taking.

Sorry about the long post, just interested if anyone else has had a coolant leak with theirs.
Cheers Brandon

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
does sound weird - but i guess they do have the odd rogue casting or machining that slips thru the cracks.  The amount of time is unacceptable - i'd be asking for a loan car or something as you are still making repayments or losing value on your investment while they gin around.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Time .................. Korean time!

When my garage have had to order items in the past it seems to take for ever.

When they had to order a front window for my old Accent it took nearly 3 months as it had to come from Korea.  

The story for me here in the UK was ..... "it's on the boat"

Hang in there and keep pestering them.

ps Are you still driving the car?

If so will they cover any damage until the part is replaced?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Hopefully they removed the head and checked if it is in fact the gasket that has failed or a porosity or inclusion in the head casting.  Otherwise they might find replacing the gasket doesnt fix the problem.  Gaskets fail for a reason - incorrect machining, casting problems, incorrect torque of the fasteners etc etc etc.  Only way the gasket itself is to fault is if it has a defect from new.  I dunno - maybe they can see the exact cause when they pressure test.

Offline Dirtboy_aus

• 2nd Gear
Still waiting to hear back from them apparently, there has been a head bolt torque issue with a few of them but Hyundai hasn't put it in a bulletin yet it is still a keep quite problem, the service manager said that they had to rip the head off check the surfaces and if they looked alright than they would just slap a new gasket in and it should be ok.

Funny bit is the service manager told me that ours is the first they have seen but i know of another that is actually serviced there and that one has a coolant leak but i bet that the owner doesn't know.

And yes i did ask about a loan car while it gets fixed coz we live 13Ks out of town and work at different times but got told that they cant supply one didn't state why but i guess we will see about that one.

anyway
cheers Brandon   

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Still waiting to hear back from them apparently, there has been a head bolt torque issue with a few of them but Hyundai hasn't put it in a bulletin yet it is still a keep quite problem, ...

SE01709 bulletin, states

This bulletin has been issued to advise of a changed method when tightening
specific engine bolts on Diesel engines.   These specific bolts must now be
fastened by torque-angle method, rather than conventional torque method.

Ensure to fasten these bolts using the torque method specified below, with the
use of a torque wrench and a torque angle gauge when the carrying out repairs
on Diesel engines.

Tell 'em to look again. Good luck
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dirtboy_aus

• 2nd Gear
hey guys
i went back in to the local Hyundai dealer on the 3/12/09 after not hearing anything from them since last main post here. Been busy at work :D
anyway got told that they have been waiting for me to get back to them :eek: so i went back in on the Saturday and seen the dealer principal and told him that we have been waiting nearly three months to hear about the coolant leak and that we were told that they couldnt suppy a loan car he seem to be pretty annoyed and within a week we have been contacted and our car is booked in for the 21/12/09 and we are getting a loan car too :) just sucks that we have been driving around with a coolant leak for over three months also got told that Hyundai recommends the engine be removed for the headgasket to be replaced but the service manager thinks they can do without removing it :question:.

Cheers
Brandon   

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hey guys
i went back in to the local Hyundai dealer on the 3/12/09 after not hearing anything from them since last main post here. Been busy at work :D
anyway got told that they have been waiting for me to get back to them :eek: so i went back in on the Saturday and seen the dealer principal and told him that we have been waiting nearly three months to hear about the coolant leak and that we were told that they couldnt suppy a loan car he seem to be pretty annoyed and within a week we have been contacted and our car is booked in for the 21/12/09 and we are getting a loan car too :) just sucks that we have been driving around with a coolant leak for over three months also got told that Hyundai recommends the engine be removed for the headgasket to be replaced but the service manager thinks they can do without removing it :question:.

Cheers
Brandon    

Sorry to hear this mate, mine could have a leak too, but i have never had to top up coolant yet.
if it  was mine i would have the engine removed and decked just to ensure its true and flat, but they won't.
just get them to do it and see how it goes, keep monitoring it, and keep at them.
many many moons back when Toyota were just like Hyundai & just starting to get us to beleave they had real cars and truck for Aussies, a mate got a green one and a half ton Toyota ( about 70's ) it was a good truck but it had an oil leak from new, in those day's warranty was not what it is now, but he kept at them to fix, and it kept leaking. three years on and over 200,000 up ( this is k's but we measured in miles back then ) it still leaked he still kept at them, Toyota flew out an engineer and he told them put a brand new motor in it.
so keep at it mate.
good luck

Offline Dirtboy_aus

• 2nd Gear
The funnist bit about the whole thing is that i used the work there.
when i was there, there was a different service manager and i used to push problems to get them fix for customers because i wouldnt want it to happen to me but look what happens

cheers Brandon   

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal