i30 Owners Club

My Diesel i30 economy is rubbish

Offline squirrell48

• 1st Gear
I have done 1500 MILES in my 6 speed diesel i30 premium hatchback and I am disappointed with its fuel economy.  I drive exactly the same route (60 miles) as I did in my Mk 4 Golf 1.9 TDi Estate which was 10 years old and always returned at least 66 miles to the gallon on this route.  I also drive in the same style as I did before yet I am getting barely 56 miles to the gallon out of the i30.  I suspect that HY has sacrificed mpg for the sake of reduced emissions and the Diesel Particulate Filter is drinking fuel when it goes through its self-cleaning cycle when the engine warms up.
I have also found that the distance to refuel computer is rubbish.  I had driven 450 miles and the computer said I could go another 100 miles when I refueled to full.  The distance to refuel computer then reset itself to 365 miles.   
Apart from these 2 problems I am happy with the car.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have done 1500 MILES in my 6 speed diesel i30 premium hatchback ...

If you've only got 1500 miles showing on the clock I'm surprised you're getting even 56mpg to be honest. Took me close to 15000 miles before my engine loosened up and I started seeing 62+mpg.

As for the DPF and its regeneration cycle... someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but that doesn't happen each time the engine warms up. Should happen once every blue moon and only when the exhaust system is mad hot.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
agree with shambles,  it takes at least 5000km to get the engine to loosen up
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My 4 yo diesel only has 21K but I average between 48 and 54 mpg.

This is per the readout and my calculation at each fill up.

I been getting this sort of average from day 1.

I let the car drive itself as I find I don't need to give it as much throttle as I gave my previous petrol car - Accent

I only do short town trips with the occasional burst down the motorway.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
i get around the 6L/100km on the first three tanks of my new car. first was 6.2 then 6.4 then 5.7. The car has only 2000km/1250miles on the clock so i am happy with it! It should shave another litre off in the next 5-10 thousand kkm!
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
I agree with Shambles - I have a petrol but it has only started to come really good now with the fuel economy getting 300km to half a talk and I have just over 13000km on the clock..

At the beginning I was just getting 400km to a tank.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

ARRH! lol! yes lol. I am doing lots of driving! i want the engine worn in! haha
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

Driving home this afternoon, i filled the car with the first full tank i have used from new,  it only had 1/4 tank when i got it, but now i have used 1 full tank,  i have done 1484 Km, and am using an average of 5.2 L/100 Km!   
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

I think our driving styles differ :P I like to smoke the people behind me every so often! HAHA!! One technique i have learnt is if people talegate me for long enough I just put it back a gear and floor it....they hate the smell and smoke so they change lanes or BACK OFF! hahaa
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
On my recent weekend away (to Lakes Entrance), my CRDi, according to the trip computer, averaged 4.4l/100km.

I certainly can't complain about that as I wasn't particularly driving for economy.... :goodjob:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
On my recent weekend away (to Lakes Entrance), my CRDi, according to the trip computer, averaged 4.4l/100km.

I certainly can't complain about that as I wasn't particularly driving for economy.... :goodjob:

Can people if they can give average speed for the tank so we know what kind of driving you've been doing.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think our driving styles differ :P I like to smoke the people behind me every so often! HAHA!! One technique i have learnt is if people talegate me for long enough I just put it back a gear and floor it....they hate the smell and smoke so they change lanes or BACK OFF! hahaa

When we used to do that in our (now traded) CRDi it didn't used to smoke  :Shocked: and if it did they wouldn't have smelt it anyway .. they were too far behind  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

Can people if they can give average speed for the tank so we know what kind of driving you've been doing.

The trick is to keep the revs low and use the huge amounts of torque it has to keep the fuel use down, in normal driving, no more than 2500 rpm should be needed,  from a start, don't rev out first gear, get it into 2nd as soon as your rolling,  when cruising keep the rpm in the 1500 to 2000 area.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The trick is to keep the revs low and use the huge amounts of torque it has to keep the fuel use down, in normal driving, no more than 2500 rpm should be needed,  from a start, don't rev out first gear, get it into 2nd as soon as your rolling,  when cruising keep the rpm in the 1500 to 2000 area.

What I've found is that it is often hard to keep up with traffic if you are only limiting yourself to 2500rpm in 1st or 2nd.

It an attempt to keep up, I often go higher than that maybe to 2800-2900 because I find when you then go 1st to 2nd, the revs drop right to 1900rpm or so where there is peak torque for the next gear.

If you are limiting yourself to 2500rpm what is your strategy to keep up with traffic. Are you using more throttle than I am but nevertheless changing at 2500rpm?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

From memory, average was 74kph over a distance of 640 kilometres..... :)

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia

What I've found is that it is often hard to keep up with traffic if you are only limiting yourself to 2500rpm in 1st or 2nd.

I agree. 
On minor streets it's possible to change just above 2000rpm and drive quite happily, but if you try this on major arterial roads you find yourself starring at the front grill of a Kenworth filling your rear view mirror.  Not pleasant watching someone behind you forced to brake when accelerating off from the lights because they are just about to run up your arse. I'm getting about 5.9km/l around town & 5.0 on the Hwy with 25k on the car (Crdi).
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
DPF regeneration... Is that what happens when the fuel usage is sky high. I usually drive with the "real time" usage in the onboard computer, and during the month we had the new diesel, I've noticed 3 times it's incredibly high. It's easy to confirm when happening, when you let go of the pedal, it should read 0.0/100km still moving, yesterday when I noticed it read 1.3-1.7. And in general it's just high, going downhill at 80km/h in 6th, gentle on accel and usage was above 6, normally would expect 2-3. It's tough to tell what to expect really, all depends on conditions but easy to tell something is very wrong.

First time I noticed had driven 120km on new refill, the overall usage said 5.5l/100km and this happened for the next 30km, when it went back to normal the overall was 7.2.

My dealer did talk about the regeneration, and as long as its "new" would happen more often. Said the car had good economy after 8000km, but the regeneration would happen once in a while, measured from more factors like numbers of engine starts.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the DPF. The same symptoms as others described.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the DPF. The same symptoms as others described.

Lucky we don't have them in OZ i30's then  :happydance:

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
My dealer did talk about the regeneration, and as long as its "new" would happen more often. Said the car had good economy after 8000km, but the regeneration would happen once in a while, measured from more factors like numbers of engine starts.

Look at this table: http://www.poraba.com/usage_other_view.php?type=25888&carid=11497. This is my log of all regenerations :) Maybe I'm a liitle too much into this but I hate the fact that the dealers lie about some things just to sell you a car.
I filled the tank from almost every possible gas station in Slovenia (and once in Poland) and I get consistent results with all of them. ~700 km +/- 30 km. Last week, I have driven ~800 km without stopping the engine and the filter regenerated twice in this period.

Offline Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
That's very interesting to see actually, so it's quite simple if around every 700km or so. And the duration of around 30km isn't totally off, matches pretty well with your numbers. Will take a few notes when it happens again, see if its the same logic :)

Glad to hear it's normal though, and cause of the DPF, didn't know. Was quite a worrying experience the first time.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Was quite a worrying experience the first time.
Same for me. Especially because I interrupted it during regeneration and the smell of the heated metal in the garage was really not pleasant.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Can anyone tell me how the DPF regenerates. If it is mounted on the exhaust pipe, how does it use more fuel, exhaust is exhaust! I thought they regenerated if driving on a freeway and enough exhaust heat is present.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lune

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Pinjarra, Western Australia
I beleive to regenerate fuel is injected late/in the exhaust stroke, to increase temperatures to the point of being able to burn off the junk in the dpf

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

'Normal' exhaust temperatures are in the range of 300-400 °C (OBD-II data), but during regeneration, the temperature in the exhaust is increased to ~700 °C. Additional fuel is needed for that, of course. And as I see it, faster you go, larger volume of exhaust gases must be heated and thus, higher consumption during regeneration is produced...

Offline yorkshirewalker

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Near York
Just for the record - RUBBISH - my new i30 is quite economical!

I am a newbie on this Forum and live near York in North Yorkshire.

I picked up my MY2011 light blue i30 1.6 Comfort CRDI (Manual Gearbox)  last Thursday from Nottingham Autopark. I've driven around 250 miles, on a mix of A roads and motorways and with a little town work thrown in.  I've kept the revs below 2500 and used sixth gear whenever I could - the car is highly geared.  I achieved just over 62 mpg according to the on-board computer, and I'm quite pleased with that.  The car has done 4200 miles now.

I'm really pleased with this car having come down from a 2006 3 litre diesel Vauxhall Signum which I have driven for 41000 miles.  The i30 drives and handles well and basically for the price (cheap!) there is nothing cheap about it.  I like the road tax which costs a mere £30 per year (the Signum was £285) which was one of the main factors why I bought the i30.

Best wishes

Phil

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 23:29:22 by yorkshirewalker »

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Well said Phil....

I think you experience is echoed by almost everyone in this club....    :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Welcome aboard Phil. I like Yorkshire and York.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Phil... A really nice introductory post !  :happydance:

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

sadly no update from squirrell48 yet.    i want to know if things have improved.    i just got back from a 1115 km drive from 49 ltrs. up and down the east coast.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal