i30 Owners Club

Sydney to Melbourne & back

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Swapped out the oil in my little beasty at 5,500km for 5l of Penrite 0W40 a day in advance of the trip, and had a few hundred k on the trip from current tank as I left Sydney.

Had to tank up at the Caltex at Tarcutta, as the light was about to come on, and running out was not a desired option.

My best tank to date is from that Caltex at Tarcutta to Melbourne and back to Tarcutta.  Took about 50l, and the calculation I made at the time was 5.36 l/100.  Google's streetview shows a Mobil, but I can assure you it's now a Caltex.

Mostly Hume highway "cruising" at speed limit + 10, only changing down from 5th for towns with either 50 zones or stop signs.  I don't have cruise control and would maintain my target speed and then some at times both up hill and down dale.

I was driving smoothly, but not exactly with economy in mind.  Played with the head of a fellow with a loud v8 Commodore who must have wondered why I wasn't disappearing in his mirrors as we exited an 80 roadwork zone.  And I was only applying throttle in 5th...  He was pulling away slightly, but I was most impressed with the usable highway midrange, given that all I could hear in my car was his!

And back to that oil change.  Did it with the help of a mechanic mate's hoist so I could get the tray off.  The engine & gearbox were still clean enough to eat off.  Not one drop of leaked anything, anywhere.  One of the longest sump bolts I've ever had the burnt finger pleasure of removing!  And the sump is wrapped in what has to be yet more sound-deadening material.  There is a hole in the tray that does allow an oil drain without removing the tray that I hadn't noticed till the car was hoisted.  If you have ramps, this will work well as the drain faces backwards/the rear of the car.

I don't want to get into an oil war but can recommend both the oil I have chosen as well as ditching the factory oil well before the 15k service!  The 5.36 figure is about 1.5 l/100 better than my previous best mix of city and enthusiastic country driving.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I was driving smoothly, but not exactly with economy in mind.  Played with the head of a fellow with a loud v8 Commodore who must have wondered why I wasn't disappearing in his mirrors as we exited an 80 roadwork zone.  And I was only applying throttle in 5th...  He was pulling away slightly, but I was most impressed with the usable highway midrange, given that all I could hear in my car was his!

Great post.. I particularly liked the quoted part above. Posts like that remind me of the good times we had in our previous CRDi...and you are getting similar economy to what we used to achieve down here in hilly Tasmania...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Just wondering why you did not fill right up before leaving Sydney? i find prices are cheaper in Syd & melb than in country, so i fill up b4 i leave then fill up b4 i leave Melb. on that type of road three lanes most of the way & 110kph & need to watch you don't go over 120kph a V8 would have no advantage unless your loaded up full (5 people + luggage ). but i'm sure i could drive syd to Melb quicker ( in less time ) than a V8. as i could do it non stop that would cut in average 1 hour or more off the trip, as each time you stop for fuel or a meal it add's 1/2 hour to 1 hour to the trip time.

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
But stoping gives you a break on one of the most boring drives in Australia

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
But stoping gives you a break on one of the most boring drives in Australia

hey m8 my crystal is not borring to drive LOL cheers ( the girlfriend makes me stop all the time

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Stopped three times on the way down; food & fuel & food, and just the once on the way back for the fuel, I think.

This next week and a half will have me on another trek to Queensland and back.  Will keep tabs again on how much she drinks, as well as how much fun I have... :-)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
did you notice if your economy was any different going to Melb, than returning? when i did the trip i went via coast down & up the hwy back. but in my ( very quite  :) stock exhast ) V8 ute the trip computer used to show i averaged 9L/100k going down & 10L/100k coming back

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
did you notice if your economy was any different going to Melb, than returning? when i did the trip i went via coast down & up the hwy back. but in my ( very quite  :) stock exhast ) V8 ute the trip computer used to show i averaged 9L/100k going down & 10L/100k coming back

But, it's uphill on the way back. What do you expect? :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

But, it's uphill on the way back. What do you expect? :happydance:

Good point!  :goodjob:  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal