5 Days in Devon UK

AlanHo · 3 · 1774

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
We have just returned after spending 5 days down in Devon. Including local sightseeing - it was a round trip of 546 mils (984 km).

I kept a record of fuel economy during the trip which is as follows :-

Before leaving home I set the trips to zero.

After leaving home and on the way to the motorway I stopped at traffic lights and the "Auto Stop Deactivated" message appeared - a sure sign that the DPF had started to regererate. I then reset the trip and kept an eye on the instant economy display it until there was a sudden improvement in economy 22 miles later indicating that the regen had completed. Fuel consumption during this period averaged 44.23 mpg (6.39 l/100 km).

I reset the trip again and did a further 147 miles (272 km) down the motorway and fast main roads at an average of 58 mph (93 km/hr) to our hotel. Average economy over this sector was 65.8 mpg (4.14 l/100 km).

We spent the next 4 days touring north Devon - which is very hilly countryside with twisty roads and narrow lanes. This totalled a distance of 207 miles (333 km) including a change in hotels on day 3 moving us nearer to home. Over the 4 days the car averaged 56.5 mpg (5.0 l/100 km)

Upon leaving for home on the final day we had only covered 45 miles (of which 24 were A roads and the remainder motorway) at an average economy of 64.8 mpg (4.36 l/100 km) when the DPF again started to regenerate for a distance of 21 miles during which the average economy was 46.56 mpg (6.07 l/100 km).

The remainder of the jorney was 94 miles on the M5 and M42 motorways where the average speed read 57 mph (92 km/hr) and the economy 69.2 mpg (4.08 l/100 km).

The overall economy for the whole 5 day trip of 536 miles works out at 58.95 mpg (4.79 l/100 km).

Note that the above calculations are based upon the trip recorder economy figures which I reset for each sector.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Some excellent economy figures there Alan..  :goodjob:

So after all your tripping around what are your thoughts about the GD?

Would you mind giving us an update maybe in another thread as to your feelings about the car good and bad compared with your previous FD model. Would be interested in your comparative experience / opinion of economy, comfort,  driveability etc.. now you have had her for 6 months??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, I'd be interested in that too actually.
Those DPFs sound like a real pain too. Glad we don't have them.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal