i30 Owners Club

Day Trip To Surfer's Paradise

Offline simowizard

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cameron Park

• I love my SLX i30
Hi everyone  :razz:
It has been a while since I posted any news of my wonderful i30's. Oh, did I mention that I now own two of them? I bought one for my wife. I have the FD and my wife has the GD and both are Diesel's.
Anyway, over Easter just recently passed, I had a few days off work and decided to "take the bull by the horns" (so to speak) and go for a drive to see my parents on the Gold Coast of Australia in the state of Queensland (for those of you that live around the world and don't know where I am explaining). My destination is approximately between 730 and 780 Kilometres North of where I live. To get a better idea, I live about 180 Kilometres North from Sydney. So to get to my intended destination from Sydney, I would have to drive approximately 960 Kilometres.
Since I drive for my job. To me, it was just like driving for a normal shift instead for pleasure this time cause I was in my i30. My wife had the idea to take the two i30's so we could return a baby's cot that we had borrowed from another family member over the last 11 years. This family member was along the way and because we had to fold the back seats down in one car, I took the kids with me in my car.
Now to get to the point of my story. I was extremely surprised that upon reaching our final destination from Newcastle to Surfer's Paradise (approx 730 to 780 Kilometres), my FD used less than. YES, LESS THAN half a tank of Diesel  :happydance: :happydance: while my wife's car used just on half a tank. I expected my wife's GD i30 to use just a touch more as hers is an automatic while mine is a 6 speed manual. I am so impressed with the economy over a long trip. Really, my i30 and my wife's i30 are to two best investments in motor vehicles I believe I have ever made.  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :goodjob2: :goodjob: GO HYUNDAI i30. I love my cars so much and would recommend anyone buying one or at least taking one for a test drive. I bet if you do, you will be impressed.
  • 2011 (FD11MY) 2011 SLX CRDi six speed manual hatch

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
That's Just great to read Simo!
So when you get asked what would you like besides you i30, you say "two i30's " :) great little car.
i think besides your Wifes GD being an Auto, a few of the long time i30 CRDi owners who have gone to GD or in Our i30's case added a GD to the Hy family like you yourself have. & they noted the fuel tank on the GD holds slightly less fuel than the FD so that could also be part of reason. but less than half a tank to the gold coast is good going! well done.
cheers
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:03:36 by Lakes »

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don't know about the GD but in the FD the tank is a bit biased to the first half (especally when you brim it  :lol:) I get around 580 from the first half a tank, and usually refill around 880 in the FD auto CW, though I usually havn't hit the fuel light (I do 130k return trips, and the fuel on the Gold Coast is more expensive than Brisbane so I like to fill up at this end)

That said on my Bris Syd trip I got 998k out of the old girl which was carrying 2 adults, 2 kids and assorted luggage, port a cots and a stroller.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
What a great result.  :goodjob2:
I'd be really interested in an in-depth comparison between your FD and GD cars (nothing too elaborate, just something like the great reports Alan Ho does will be fine  :D).
I have owned both models but separately, so the fact that you own the two together, it would make interesting reading.
The good, the bad & the ugly.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :ta: Shane, like the others I love reading posts like that .. They sound like a good cars these i30's (I want one!)  :laughter:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline simowizard

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cameron Park

• I love my SLX i30
I don't know about the GD but in the FD the tank is a bit biased to the first half (especally when you brim it  :lol:) I get around 580 from the first half a tank, and usually refill around 880 in the FD auto CW, though I usually havn't hit the fuel light (I do 130k return trips, and the fuel on the Gold Coast is more expensive than Brisbane so I like to fill up at this end)

That said on my Bris Syd trip I got 998k out of the old girl which was carrying 2 adults, 2 kids and assorted luggage, port a cots and a stroller.
I usually only drive my car (unfortunately) between home and work which is about 20 kilometres each way. That being said, since new, I have been reaching 1000k's with every tank and only fill once every month. To give a better idea of use, I work six days and occasionally do a bit of running around in stop/start traffic. To average 1000k's is perfect for me :-)

Offline simowizard

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cameron Park

• I love my SLX i30
What a great result.  :goodjob2:
I'd be really interested in an in-depth comparison between your FD and GD cars (nothing too elaborate, just something like the great reports Alan Ho does will be fine  :D).
I have owned both models but separately, so the fact that you own the two together, it would make interesting reading.
The good, the bad & the ugly.  :lol:
:ta: DB08. Well, the best comparison I can give between the FD and the GD is that there are pros and cons to both. While the GD may have a few extra electronics and a better stereo (touch screen), believe it or not after driving both, I actually prefer my FD. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it is just "a more comfortable fit", I don't know? Maybe it is the manual gearbox and I prefer a manual over an automatic anyday. I also like the fact that the guages being non digital in my FD will give a more accurate reading on temp and fuel level. Hmm, what else can I add? I just prefer my FD over my wife's GD. Don't get me wrong, the GD is a nice car to drive and own with great economy. I just like the FD better  :judges:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks for the insight.
I can understand you loving your FD.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

I usually only drive my car (unfortunately) between home and work which is about 20 kilometres each way. That being said, since new, I have been reaching 1000k's with every tank and only fill once every month. To give a better idea of use, I work six days and occasionally do a bit of running around in stop/start traffic. To average 1000k's is perfect for me :-)

It's interesting that I have a 2011 cw and do about the same driving as simowizard and can only average around 800km per tank and the only way I can 1000km's on a tank is on longer drives and driving conservative (ie: no cruise control and not going over 100km/h), oh and brimming the tank too.  My daily drive max's out at 90km/h.

simowizard: Where do you fill up?   I've been filling up at Shell, and although it works out cheaper with the shop-a-docket, just wondering if BP or somewhere else gives better fuel consumption.  Shell does foam up quite a lot and can usually take me at least 10 minutes to fill up especially the last 10-15 litres where I press trigger until I see foam and then have to stop, wait for foam to go and then repeat - 1/2-1 litre at a time.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Why not increase your skills and keep filling with foam in the pipe, when you get the flow rate right it fills much quicker, but it takes brinkmanship.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The CW is a little heavier and thus thirstier than the hatch but you are probably only talking 20 or 30 kms less range at most (by the quoted consumption figures)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I use BP Ultimate Diesel as recommended by my dealer at purchase. The truck-grade HiFlow rate is massive - very quick fill - and I still get no foam.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I use BP Ultimate Diesel as recommended by my dealer at purchase. The truck-grade HiFlow rate is massive - very quick fill - and I still get no foam.
Gonz I just wish we could get the BP Ultimate Diesel here in NSW. we only get Caltex Vortex premium Diesel here. my 08 CRDi 5 speed loved the premium always ran better on it & like you pointed out very low foaming. but I never noticed a gain in economy, still it ran smoother. with my 2011 CRDi 6 speed it runs good on everything (BP Caltex Shell it has the u2 motor but the motor looks the same to me . just exhast manifold is different &   thepart number on the injectors are different.
what I love about the FD ( not sure if same on GD?) is the fact you can use hi flow truck pumps. my friends Focus turbo diesel you can only get the small diam normal flow Diesel. a few times over the years I have had to fill at servo's that only had hi flow. so thank you Hyundai!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

You can still use hi flow pumps on the GD, although it is a tight squeeze.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal