i30 Owners Club

Poor Fuel Consumption New i30 CRDi

vnagappa · 81 · 30788

Offline vnagappa

• 1st Gear
Hi Guys

I've had my new i30 CRDi for 4 months now, and have clocked 8000kms on it. I've never been able to reach 700km on a single full tank of fuel even with almost all of it highway driving. The most I can get is approx 650kms but by then I'm running on fumes and need to quickly fill up.

When I full tank my i30, the trip computer always says "Distrance to Empty" = 590km or there abouts.

Have other users been able to regularly reach 700kms+ on a single tank of fuel and what do your trip computers indicate when you fill up in terms of "Distance to Empty"

Thanks in advance!
  • i30 Premium

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Easily hit 700, 800 and sometimes 900 depends when the fill up point is, but that is truly mostly highway driving.

The Good wife gets mid to high 600's around town.

We brim both....The only real way to see how your going (gets rid of the foam making a difference).

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Wittendorff
Hi.

I hit between 900 and 1000 and brim it every time.  I drive a mix of highway and motorway. On the highway I only use 4'th  if i drive around 80 km/h and only use 5'th gear from 90. 6'th gear is only used on motorway. This actually improved my fuel economy.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Can you tell us your location or country at least vnagappa,

Also, describe your driving style, traffic conditions and length of journey, is the car auto or manual. The more info you provide, the better we can suggest a solution.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm thinking oz Phil.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I get about 5.2l/100 which equates to about 1000km out of a tank.  I drive combination of highway (mostly) and city driving. I try to keep it in as high a gear as possible when driving. for me 80kmh would make me put it in 6th gear if on flat.
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I have averaged 6.2l/100km over about 22,000km in my GD auto diesel (based on both trip computer and litres used and km travelled). This is mixed city and highway, straight highway runs get low 5's. Cannot remember exactly but pretty sure on fill up (not brimmed) the trip computer indicates 700 to empty, but I have not checked that in a few months.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
is it possible that the trip computer/distance to empty isn't reading or set/re set correctly.  :idea: :undecided:  both my cars are base model sx's and don't have distance to empty,so I'm only having a stab in the dark.  :wink:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Dazz has mentioned b4 and I confirm, that the DTE is very conservative at refill. It gets more accurate as the fuel is used, based on actual consumption for that particular tank of fuel.

ouri30
In addition to getting more accurate as you drive, I think you will find that if you fill past full, which most do even if they don't brim, that when you drive and empty to the manufactures full point, there is a readjustment of DTE.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :agreed: Good point, it's probably calibirated for 1st click fuel volume.  :goodjob2:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm 99% sure our users manual says not to over fill/brim your tank,that's probably why.  :idea:

ouri30
I'm 99% sure our users manual says not to over fill/brim your tank,that's probably why.  :idea:

Your 100% correct. That is the recommendation.

There are two situations where I would never brim:

One is with petrol as the tank needs room for evaporation of the fuel.

Two is with diesel if I am not going to drive 50 plus km immediately after thereby using fuel and avoiding spillage from expansion.

Hence when I fill I do so prior to my trip home.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
prior too a long drive is OK,but i wouldn't brim on a super hot day and park my car.  :winker:  oh,whats that big puddle of fuel on the ground under my car.  :Shocked: Ive had that happen many years ago on an old ford.  :-[

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Sounds like a disinfectant commercial. :D

The correct reason, is to prevent leakage of fuel, should it expand due to heat. This is particularly dangerous for petrol and would definitely be seen as an undesirable event by the manufacturer, creating a negative brand image.

Those of us who regularly brim, accept this possibility and usually have a distance to drive before parking. Note, that if the fuel is cold, and your tank is warm there is every possibility that leakage occurs when driving anyhow.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
With just over 2000km on the clock our average fuel consumption for mostly round town driving is now 7.9. Its been getting better as the km grow. On the highway I saw 5.1 with the car brand spanking new.

I suspect driving style may be a factor, our consumption improved after we modified the way we were driving the car. I also suspect also range would improve if the tank was filled to the top of the filler neck as some do. I have a suspicion you can fit quite a few extra litres in the filler neck.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
because the tank is almost centred under the car i estimate around 5-6Lt's of fuel.  :idea:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Having reread the original post; I have a few Questions...

Auto or manual
How many litres are you putting in each fill?
By 'running on fumes' do you mean the fuel light is on and has been on for some time, or the DTE has gone to --
Do you have an average speed for your trips? How much is 'mostly highway' Those last 20-30k spent in stop go traffic really kill the economy.
Finally, are you driving the car as a diesel should be driven, or still like a petrol. A diesel doesn't need to go over 2500rpm, 3000rpm at a pinch. Anything more is just using diesel to make noise.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

ouri30
Report on OURI30 fuel usage.
Now, I have no idea how full the full tank supplied by the dealer was.  I did not take any note of the DTE when we started driving, but adding the DTE after one day to the distance travelled gives us a total of just over 720km for the tank. Not bad for a diesel auto.

Avg speed for the first 380km is 61kph and the trip computer is showing 5.5 l/100km.  I'm quite impressed seeing this is a new vehicle that at 22km on the clock when we took delivery.  At one stage today, the trip computer showed 5.4 l/100km.

Our driving style has seen us varying the speed between 80-110kph on the open road (I'm insistant on varying the speed for the first 1000km) and driving sensibly in metro areas. 

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
oh,whats that big puddle of fuel on the ground under my car.  :Shocked: Ive had that happen many years ago on an old ford.  :-[

old ford... say no more, im suprised it didnt have a puddle of oil under it too :P

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
yep,rear main seal.  :fum:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
because the tank is almost centred under the car i estimate around 5-6Lt's of fuel.  :idea:

Approx 10% increase then if topped right up, maybe as much as another 100km range.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
And in Oz, it's only 50 litre tank too.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
says who,and where.  :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I seem to remember this as a result of torsion bar rear suspension. Not being a GD owner, I'll search.

edit

Says Alan Ho

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=19137.msg204336#msg204336

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

And just to confuse things, the new Tourer has a 53 litre tank.....  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's supplied ex Europe with IRS isn't it.  :exclaim:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Presumably this is the current 2012-13 model? My 2011's manual and brochures tell me that it's 53l, but if I "brim" it I can get nearly 60l into it. And based on current usage I reckon that I could get 1,000km easily.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, only the GD Hatch.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal