i30 Owners Club

Poor Fuel Consumption New i30 CRDi

vnagappa · 81 · 30782

Offline vnagappa

• 1st Gear
Thanks for the replies. Yup, should have added some extra details.

Australian model i30 2012. Transmission is Auto. I do fill it to the top, generally this means waiting for the nozzle to click and waiting for the foam to settle. I use quality BP diesel, generally at refill point I put in about 42-45 litres.

Driving condition on average I'd say is 70% highway 30% city. I don't drive aggressive, smooth take off and braking. On the highway I drive 100kph in the city it's 50kph.

I even have the Eco mode turned on and I never get past that 700km point. I'm sure this is not normal, and reading the previous posts it confirmed even more that its not.
  • i30 Premium

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my petrol manual gets better than that,and i don't drive for low fuel consumption.  :confused: :undecided:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Naturally, your car won't be able to get the same figures as a manual, the only suggestions I can offer are to

- not exceed 3000 rpm, it's unnecessary.
- after driving, check all your wheels with your hand. The fronts should be slightly warmer than the rears but only just warm to the touch, any hotter and you might have a binding brake.
- Your car is fitted with a 53 litre tank, so either you're either not filling it, 45 lts would only be 85% full, or your car is far from empty.
- 700 kms @ 45 litres is 6.43 l / 100 which isn't all that bad.

How many k's has the car travelled. Diesel's take 10 - 20 k to start returning their best fuel economy.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its got 8000kms on it Phil.  [post #7]  :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
A few point to this (interesting) conversation.

Driving style is one of the biggest factors in fuel economy. Diesel or otherwise. The important bit here is acceleration. Accelerating slowly is what gives you the best chance. There is also a "sweet" zone for the Diesel engine, more so than a petrol one. Diesel brings on torque early. In our case 1750 RPM. The "end" of this zone, more or less is around 2500 RPM. Anything more and you "waste" fuel in diesel terms. You will notice that under 1500 the engine will struggle a bit, some cars will do a bit of jerking too. Over 3000 the acceleration drops off and you get very little benefit.

When I first got my CW manual, I struggled a little to get "unused" to petrol cars and drive it how a diesel should be. Keeping it in the 1700 to 2500 range took some adjustment.

An other thing is the Diesel engines are much higher stressed. Compression ration is nearly twice of the petrol equivalent, so it takes longer to "run in". I found that my car didn't start to show any economy increase until I got past 10000 km, closer to 15000 really.

One other point is that precious trip computer. A lot of people seem to give way too much importance to it. It is not an ISO certified measuring instrument and as such is taking educated guesses.

When I first got on these forums, I was pulling my hair out and considering that my car was a dud, until I did a little checking with a GPS and noticed that most of the claims where trip computer based. I started checking and compare fill amount against distance travelled. The figures suddenly started to look more realistic. Such as 650-700 to a tank when new, building up and over 800 and all subject to traffic conditions. I now get at least 800 to a tank in city only traffic.

So your figures seem pretty much in the ball park especially if you drive an auto.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

ouri30
We have also just taken delivery of an CRDi Auto GD.  We're still getting to know our vehicle and the way it drives.  I wish I would have taken note of the exact figure of the DTE when we took delivery, but I know it was over 600km.  The dealer did fill it as part of the agreed price, but I doubt if it was brimmed.  There was 22km on the odometer and I do remember asking my wife to check that as she drove out of the yard.

Now, with 535km (513 travelled), it shows 325km DTE.  The average consumption is 5.3 l/100km on the trip computer.  The average speed to date is 65kph.  Now that is looking like at total for the tank of 838km for the first tank.  We're very happy with that, for an auto.  Do you get the impression I've got a slight case of OCD.

Now, I need to ask you about your figure of 700km.  Is that the DTE you get after filling up?  If it is, then I would say that is an excellent figure.  Or, is that the calculated maximum you get by adding DTE and distance travelled at or near the end, just at or around refilling?

Those who have been members on here for some time will know that I have done in depth studies of the behaviour of the Hyundai trip computer in the i30 FD.  Since then I have confirmed the observations in the ix35.  My initial observations with the i30 GD do not reveal anything new.

I'll try a brief summary.  Here goes...
Initial fill ups are conservative in the DTE estimation. Over several tank consumption that are good, expect the DTE estimate to increase, settling around a maximum DTE figure.  Now, if the battery is disconnected or the fuse blows or is removed, it's back to square one.

Depending on the amount of fuel you put in after the maximum the sensor can detect, there will be a distance you can travel where DTE + DT (distance travelled) = initial DTE.  When this distance is reached (and it will vary), there are two possible behaviours of the trip computer: 

Scenario 1
The DTE + DT will increase by a factor 1km for every km travelled.  Putting that another way, DT might have increased by 10km, but the DTE will only have decreased by 5km.  This will continue with this regular pattern until the tank is approaching around a quarter remaining when DTE + DT will be more constant.  It will be a good figure for the driver to determine when to refill.  Please note that changed driving conditions and habits may bring about variations to the scenario.

Scenario 2
In this scenario, at the point when the sensor detects the tank to be at the magic point of full, there is an adjustment which shows a major jump in the DTE + DT total figure.  I have witnessed this adjustment at DT figures between 200 and 300 km in both the i30 FD and an ix35.  They can be as much as 200 to 300 km jumps in the total. From here on, slight adjustments in the DTE + DT total still occur. The DTE figure is usually on the conservative side but is, I attest, a reliable figure for the driver.  Once again, changed driving conditions and habits may bring about variations.

Final comment
With the 2008 i30 FD, the average fuel consumption had to be manually reset by the driver, were as the ix35 automatically resets when the tank is refilled.  I'm not certain of the behaviour of the i30 GD, but I'll find out tomorrow.

Now, if you managed to read and understand all that, your doing well.  Hope it helps someone.

ouri30
Just one more comment (observation).
Back in 2008, when I got just over 1400 km from a tank in OUR(FD)-I30, the DTE figure at the beginning was just over 800km (from memory).  So, don't be to concerned with initial DTE figures shown on a trip computer.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :Agoodpost: :goodjob2:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I think it's fantastic that people are now posting more info on tank average speed.

It is revealing the differences in traffic we face. Here in Sydney I drive city only but feel lucky that some of my drive is motorway opposite to peak hour traffic. However, even opposite to peak hour traffic often gets bumper to bumper. It can truly be awful.

I'm averaging 34-38 km/hr per tank. If I didn't have the motorway bit, I'm sure it would be more like 27km/hr.

Anyway, true calculated fuel economy for manual FD CRDi is 5.5-5.9 L/100km depending on average speed. I've never gotten a whole tank into the 4s but then again I've never taken my car on an interstate or country drive lasting anywhere near a whole tank (now getting to 2 years old). Despite this I would get 950 - 1050km per tank (according to DTE) but only with brimming to the top.

I only wonder what economy would be achievable with a nice country drive and average speed 60-90 km/hr. Hopefully much better.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@constipated,

Good point about average speed. Notice in the above example a new car, auto trans and great fuel economy, because the driving has been predominantly freeway with an average of 65 kmh. Being new, the car's speed has been intentionally varied, so not always @ 110 speed limit. :goodjob2:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i usually get 50~54L in... i got 57 in once, the low fuel light had been on for quite some time HA!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks very much Bob ... I was going to link to one of your very old DTE posts until I saw these new posts  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
@constipated,

Good point about average speed. Notice in the above example a new car, auto trans and great fuel economy, because the driving has been predominantly freeway with an average of 65 kmh. Being new, the car's speed has been intentionally varied, so not always @ 110 speed limit. :goodjob2:

You do read all the posts - top marks.

Thanks for bring that to the top. It is very important in understanding the figures we are getting.  It should improve for two reasons, namely when the engine frees up and when we no longer need to vary the speed continually. 

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

I even have the Eco mode turned on and I never get past that 700km point. I'm sure this is not normal, and reading the previous posts it confirmed even more that its not.

We tested the eco mode and found no benefit to fuel consumption and now leave it off. Anyone else got a view on eco mode?
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline vnagappa

• 1st Gear

Now, I need to ask you about your figure of 700km.  Is that the DTE you get after filling up? 

The ~590km is the DTE figure after filling up. I've look over my log book and the most I've be able to extract out of a full tank is about 620kms. It is a new diesel, at 8000km on the ODO. I do know the efficiency should improve with more use but it's still a little low for my liking with all the highway driving I am doing. The following is a log of how many kms I have covered and how many litres of fuel has gone it at each refill...

47 ltrs
619 kms

41 ltrs
618 kms

43 ltrs
573 kms

44 ltrs
611 kms

34 ltrs
474 kms

As you can tell, it's far from efficient :(

I'll be calling Hyundai next week.
  • i30 Premium

Offline vnagappa

• 1st Gear
By the way I do want to thank everyone for their input, it's great to see an active community of i30 owners online.  :goodjob2:
  • i30 Premium

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
47 ltrs
619 kms

41 ltrs
618 kms 7.59/100

43 ltrs
573 kms 7.50/100

44 ltrs
611 kms 7.2/100

34 ltrs
474 kms 7.17/100

Figure is coming down.

65 is a bit slower than my average, and I'm getting 6.2/100 though I sit on a cruise controlled 120 I can get better dropping to 110, but not good enough to justify it.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

ouri30
Early indications at 850km on the clock indicate we should be able to achieve somewhere between 5 and 6 / 100km.  First tank was 5.2 on the trip computer. 

The estimated DTE after refuelling was 740km.

Offline vnagappa

• 1st Gear
Early indications at 850km on the clock indicate we should be able to achieve somewhere between 5 and 6 / 100km.  First tank was 5.2 on the trip computer. 

Can I ask what model you have of the i30, Elite, Premium? Are you doing mostly highway driving or a mixture? Is yours an auto or manual?
  • i30 Premium

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Hi Guys

I've had my new i30 CRDi for 4 months now, and have clocked 8000kms on it. I've never been able to reach 700km on a single full tank of fuel even with almost all of it highway driving. The most I can get is approx 650kms but by then I'm running on fumes and need to quickly fill up.

When I full tank my i30, the trip computer always says "Distrance to Empty" = 590km or there abouts.

Have other users been able to regularly reach 700kms+ on a single tank of fuel and what do your trip computers indicate when you fill up in terms of "Distance to Empty"

Thanks in advance!

vnagappa

I won't repeat what I think of the crappy trip computers,I ignore mine,for what it is telling me and what happens are two entirely different things.

We have a SLX 6 spd and a SX 5 spd, if I brim the tanks in both,I regularly get 800-850 from the SLX and close to 800 in the SX,given I do not exceed 100-105 kph the load fuel light comes on at 850K's in the SLX and just on 770 in the SX,I have tried it a few times,I have always carried a spare fuel can,as I am not that fond of bleeding the fuel system,thought easy enough it is just a crappy job and if you don't have a clear away hose or bottle with you it can be messy,especially over a hot motor.

I have a work mate who regularly gets 1100K's out of his 2008 SX, but he drives like a geriatric,never exceeds 90kph,I'm not that patient,as others have said before adjust your driving style see what works best.if all else fails go back to Hy and get them to tweak your fuel system,they can do it,but reluctant to do so.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The FD was 53 litres.
The original H/A website stated 53 litres for the GD as well but they then changed it and made it 50 litres, which we presumed was because of the rear suspension set-up.
Having owned both, I can confirm that the GD tank is smaller than the FD
I put 60+ litres into my FD on several occasions.
The most I've put into the GD is 54+ so I'm guessing 55 or 56 might be possible.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

65 is a bit slower than my average, and I'm getting 6.2/100 though I sit on a cruise controlled 120 I can get better dropping to 110, but not good enough to justify it.

:argh: your not condoning or promoting speeding are you  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

ouri30

Can I ask what model you have of the i30, Elite, Premium? Are you doing mostly highway driving or a mixture? Is yours an auto or manual?

The driving was country sealed and freeway driving through the Adelaide Hills and return, with some city driving on each trip.  After taking delivery, we did three such trips.  Average speed was 67kph.  We varied the speed on the highway between 85 and 110, never maintaining the same speed for long periods.

The vehicle is an Auto Premium GD.  As I've said elsewhere, I'm experienced at economy driving, although that was not my goal, rather it has been running the vehicle in.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I don't think tyres have been mentioned in this thread.

Are you running on the stock size tyres.. :question:

What tyre pressure are you running.. :question:

I don't know what's recommended on the GD, but the FD was recommended from Hyundai to run 32 psi, but many of us have found the FD not only to get better handling, but also much better economy, with 38-40 psi.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
something I came across which shows my theory that Hyundai really over exaggerates the fuel economy of the i30

Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi Active    Gov' mpg - 76.3mpg    True mpg - 54.4mpg

http://www.motortrader.com/latest-news/car-launches-true-mpg-service/
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Seems it's not just Hyundai, but then we already knew that....

See the Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Mini 1.6D Cooper & VW Golf 1.6 TDI 105 Bluemotion....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well, 40,000k up FD u2 CRDi 6 Speed filled up three weeks back, did some coastal country roads ( twisty hilly ) just drove it not trying for economy, 800k coastal country, 300k sydney traffic 1,100k fuel light just came on trip pc reading 5L/100k when i was just getting back to Sydney trip PC reading 4.9L/100k. the way i've been driving it i'm very happy.
also might note trip down the coast car had big load of gear to take down.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Filled up yesterday. The ave readout was 5.2 l/100km, ave speed about 80 kays. Trip distance was about 839km. Took 46 litres. The fuel log app suggests 5.66l/100km.

Most of the driving was to and from Melbourne Airport from Latrobe Valley in eastern Victoria (Australia), a round trip of 320 km, and some driving to and from work (about 60 kays).

Now my wife's back home she'll be using the car once more to commute. I'll see if the fuel usage climbs.

Please note, I'm a "first clicker", not a "brimmer". Otherwise, if I brimmed it I'd probably get closer to 1,000 kays between fills. I'm not that fussed about overall range, but I'm not a fan standing there, particularly if it's crappy weather, slowly trickling it in for five minutes just to get another 5 or 6 litres into the filler pipe.

When I first got the car I was getting mid-6's, whereas everyone else was claiming low 5s to high 4s, and I thought I had a problem. But I was assured that as the engine loosens up it'd get better.

And at 20,000 km that appears to be the case.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Sounds good, 80's a pretty high average :exclaim: :goodjob2:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Yeah, mostly freeway work (110 or 100 km/h) between here and Melbourne airport.

I filled up at Officer (Inbound), a BP servo/cafe complex about 60 km from Melbourne's CBD. So, after about ten minutes getting back onto the freeway, the average for fuel usage was on around 4.5l/100 km. Speed average was close to 100 km/h. But that went down as I encountered the 80 km/h zones or slower and slow traffic. But at least 500 km of it was 100-110 km/h.

• 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal