i30 Owners Club

Surferdude's 60,000 klm Service. (for "Hoondai")

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
So - 60,000 up in 3½ years. A bit more than I'd planned when I bought the car but I have done a lot more trips to Brisbane to work than I intended. Stopped all that now so the rate of climb on th eodometer should settle down.

The first 15K was done at Sunco Motors Currimundi where I bought the car.

30K and 45K were done by he book at a Goodyear store where I was working.

I'm back to Sunco for this one as there are a couple of things I want them to look at. The car is in there now. Below is a copy of the note I left them.
In preparation, I rotated the tyres, checked the pressure (marked the inside of the tyres so I know they are back in the right place) and checked the brake pad wear. Negligible on the rear and (maybe) 50% on the front but probably somewhat less than that. Set the pressures at 38psi F and 36psi R which is normal for me. And tread depths are now 4mm R and 5mm F (after F to R rotation). The tyres have 31,000 klms on them.
They quoted me $480 which I'm happy to pay at this point, provided it all comes out OK. No reason to suspect otherwise as Sunco have always been great to deal with. Given that the last two services only cost me parts at trade cost, I can afford to average the servicing out over this one. :goodjob:

*** MQH    Trevor G******         0434 *** ***
Hyundai i30 2 litre Hatch Petrol
60,000 scheduled service

Notes
•   Please do not rotate the tyres or adjust the pressures.
•   The lock nut for the mags is in the centre console drink holder. I’d prefer you didn’t use a rattle gun on it please.
•   For any other suggested repairs please call me on the above number.

Other Issues for attention
1/   replace brake switch (ESP light comes on intermittently). Use old style switch as the car has cruise control.
2/   Radio issues – there are two.
•   On AM, static when applying the brake – this may relate to the brake switch above. But it indicates something isn’t making a proper connection.
•   On AM, the reception is poor and staticy most of the time. But it goes away when you turn the motor off. In previous cars this would have suggested a suppressor is either not working or needed somewhere. Not sure what it means in a Hyundai but it’s extremely annoying. This is not a distance from the station thing as it happens in Brisbane, too
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'll update this when I pick up the car. Not expecting too much joy with the AM radio reception but we'll see what they say.

Also, my wife picked me up and I found her walking around a "very nice colour" Elantra in the showroom. :eek:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Could end up costing A LOT more than $480.  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Could end up costing A LOT more than $480.  :lol:
Yeah but I can handle that. She's been determined NEVER to let her beloved Corolla go.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yesterday or today, the physics don't change. The radio static will still be a suppression issue. Something isn't well suppressed, shielded or grounded.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK.
An update.
All good apart from a couple of little details to follow.
One of the things included in the 60K service is a brake fluid flush but we did this at the last service and had made a note on the page for the 45K service. Sunco Hyundai picked up this note and elected not to do it this time, which is fine by me. As a consequence, they dropped the price to 420.25. Nicely picked up, although had they done it again I wouldn't have minded.
Brake switch replaced with the old style one so my CC still works. They'll let me know when an updated one is available.
Static is gone from the radio when you apply the brakes.
The other static is still there. The service adviser (Craig) agrees with me it's not right and we agreed I'd road test it to be sure it wasn't an effect from the brake switch then we'd talk about how to take it further.
The wheels were put back in the correct position as requested.
Maybe as a result of the injector clean, the car seems to run slightly smoother and is noticeably easier to get off the line without a slight hesitation due to not getting the balance right betweent the clutch and accelerator.
It's a little harder to start which is odd. Since new it has fired up as soon as you hit the starter, never needing any accelerator, or a slight dab on the pedal before starting (as some previous cars have done). I'll check that isn't what's needed here first before I take it back.
So, I'd rate it a 9.5 out of 10. Which coming from me is a VERY high mark.

One other point which I liked. I said I wasn't in any hurry for it so Craig said was 3 o'clock OK. Not  a problem says I. At about 1.30 I got  call from Craig who said they were having a shit day in the workshop with some wrong parts delivered and he remembered I wasn't in any hurry and would it be OK if they put me back to 4.30 for pick up. He was very nice about it, explained their situation and never put me under any pressure. Very professional and coming from an auto background I fully understood how these things work.
Well done, Craig and Sunco Hyundai.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Good one Surferdude.

One thing though, with fuel injection I am aware that absolutely under no circumstances should the throttle be touched until the engine is running, what is your thinking on this.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the update Trev.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
I bought my i30 from Sunco Currimundi back in early 2008 and never returned there for servicing, but only because of the logisitics involved in getting there.
However I did go to their other branch in Maroochydore and was always satisfied with the work they did and how they went about it. My son, who now owns and loves the same i30, has all his servicing done at Sunco Maroochydore and is also very satisfied with them.

Russ
PS. You must give "Hoondai" a run up the hill to Maleny some time soon Trev as we still haven't caught up for that coffee as yet. :)
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good one Surferdude.

One thing though, with fuel injection I am aware that absolutely under no circumstances should the throttle be touched until the engine is running, what is your thinking on this.
TBH I didn't know this.
If that's the case I guess I'll be back to them sooner rather than later.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

PS. You must give "Hoondai" a run up the hill to Maleny some time soon Trev as we still haven't caught up for that coffee as yet. :)
Agreed. I've been very slack. :disapp:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The hard starting issue is resolved. They apparently pinched the "O" ring when fitting the fuel filter which was allowing the fuel to bleed back out of the lines when the car had been stopped for a few minutes (or longer).
Replaced it while I waited (maybe 20 minutes at the most) and didn't try to hide what had happened. They just told me straight up and apologised.
We're all human and occasionaly make mistakes so I'm happy with that.
The guy who did the original service wasn't an apprentice either.
So, all good.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Excellent result :goodjob2:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I just remembered.
At the 45K service we used a Repco oil filter. I'm calm about that as I know what standards they are made to (same as Ryco and carry a Repco guarantee against any engine damage).
The Hyundai service guys didn't consider it enough of a problem to mention it to me. They may have noted it on their records but I'm sure had they done so, they'd have told me.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal