i30 Owners Club

Home servicing checks

Keith · 7 · 2931

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
The weather was pretty good yesterday morning so in addition to my recent interim service I did, today I decided to strip, inspect and clean my brakes. The fronts needed it. I have a "dust gap" down the centre of my front pads which had completely filled up with brake dust. This was very easy to restore, in fact the brakes in general were very easy to work on. The pads at the front are only half worn, the rears even less. This is about what I would expect at 38,000 miles. Everything was sprayed with brake cleaner, scrubbed with a soft wire brush and re-assembled with loving care and Coppaslip where necessary, finishing the job with a nice coat of smooth gold Hammerite on the callipers, which now look very nice IMO through the still decent looking alloys. Next weekend, just for fun, I'll change the brake fluid and coolant... Because I can!  :happydance:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Pip
The pads at the front are only half worn, the rears even less. This is about what I would expect at 38,000 miles.

Really? I had better check mine then... 60k and counting. How thick are new pads?

Honestly, I was thinking 250K+ for mine. I haven't changed brake pads in a car for years and I always keep them for 10 years or more.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You don't use brakes much when you're driving at a snails pace, hey pip?  :D   :snigger:

Just teasing, mate... :whistler:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

The pads at the front are only half worn, the rears even less. This is about what I would expect at 38,000 miles.

Really? I had better check mine then... 60k and counting. How thick are new pads?

Honestly, I was thinking 250K+ for mine. I haven't changed brake pads in a car for years and I always keep them for 10 years or more.

New pads are about twice as thick as my pads Pip! Lol!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :lol: :lol: :goodjob2: :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
You don't use brakes much when you're driving at a snails pace, hey pip?  :D   :snigger:
I keep up but you're right I suppose... no speeding ticket for decades now. :fingers:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

15 to 17mm incl the backplate metal Pip, around 11mm for the friction material apparently.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal