i30 Owners Club

crdi fd manual returning high figures

Offline samgardiner86

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hello everyone. I recently bought an 09 slx crdi manual hatch 140,000km from a dealer and have been seeing some figures of around 7l/100km using the cars calculations. I have attempted driving conservitally with ac off. These figures were returned whilst drving a 50/50 mix of local driving and freeway driving at 120km/h.
I noticed that the dealer has the oil filled way above the full mark, which ill address tomorrow.
Tyres filled to 32 but might increase to 36.
Maintenance book is up to date.

If anyone could shed light on why my figures differ from others stated on here please let me know. Thanks
  • 2009 slx crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Where are you located in NSW  :question:

Is it possible to drive legally @ 120 kmh in NSW  :question:

The most efficient speed for cars is around 80 kmh / 50 mph on level ground and no traffic or obstacles. Naturally that will not be the case in real life so you won't return your best figures at all times. However the 20 kmh extra you are driving at, is costing you fuel economy. Wind resistance vs speed is not linear.

Keep your revs between 2-3k max as this is where the best torque from the engine is produced.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Definitely raise the tyre pressures to 36psi. How far above full mark on dipstick is the oil level?
Both will have an impact.
Do you have service history of fuel filter and air filter changes?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :welcum:

I used to own the same model and whilst not as economical as my GD 6 speed, I used to return @ 6.2 l/100 kms regularly.
Maybe disconnect the battery for an hour or so, reset the trip computer and that way you will get your averages and not the averages of previous owners.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Sam,

I had the same model from March 2008 to August 2010 and averaged around 5.4 in hilly Tasmania (sometimes rising to 5.6 in wet and cold conditions) My driving was also about 50/50 and cruised at 110Kph as often as I could.

Not sure why yours is that high!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline samgardiner86

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I live near Wollongong. The oil is way over the full mark, like 20mm. I'm going to drop some oil this arvo. And then abuse the dealership for shoddy work.
  • 2009 slx crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No, take it to the dealership and tell them to correct the oil level. They created the error, make them fix it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Sam, is this your first diesel?
If so then perhaps you're driving it like a petrol engined car...
As Phil mentioned earlier, try limiting the revs to no more than 2800-3000rpm. As maximum torque is produced between 1900-2800rpm it's pretty pointless to rev it much harder and fuel consumption will only suffer if you do.

As for tyre pressures, run them with at least 36psi, I run mine with 38psi.

Oh, and from my experience, switching the aircon off doesn't seem to make bugger all difference...  :D

Re the overfull oil, how long did you let things settle before checking it? It takes quite a while for the oil to drain down into the sump so I'd leave things over night and then check it....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Re the overfull oil, how long did you let things settle before checking it? It takes quite a while for the oil to drain down into the sump so I'd leave things over night and then check it....

And make sure you are on level ground. Amazing how much difference a small slope makes...  :goodjob:

Offline samgardiner86

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I have driven lots of diesels and with this car I shift well under 3k. I've spoken to the dealer and am seeing them in the morning. I would drop the oil myself if they were unable to address the matter promptly.
Thanks for the replies.
  • 2009 slx crdi

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Amazing how much difference a small slope makes...  :goodjob:

Jeremy Clarkson got "done" for saying something like that  :rofl:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

And make sure you are on level ground. Amazing how much difference a small slope incline makes...  :goodjob:

That's the sort of language that got Clarkson into hot water - so I fixed it for you Dazz.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What to do/say when I want to go and ski the "slope's" :whistler: :snigger:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mind you I can think of occasions when a small slope incline could be useful...

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
What to do/say when I want to go and ski the "slope's" :whistler: :snigger:

Just don't say it on camera  :goodjob:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline samgardiner86

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
So I had the oil dropped down to correct spec. Is the general consensus to reset the ecu when you buy a used I30? Is it ok to disconnect the battery for 30 on an 09 slx model?
  • 2009 slx crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Have you checked the brakes after an lengthy drive. If any are too hot you may have a sticking brake. This will of course increase fuel consumption.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
So I had the oil dropped down to correct spec. Is the general consensus to reset the ecu when you buy a used I30? Is it ok to disconnect the battery for 30 on an 09 slx model?

It's fine to disconnect the battery to rest it.
It just means re-setting radio, etc afterwards.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline samgardiner86

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I'm pleased to say my fuel consumption is dropping now. Thanks for the advice, it may have been numerous things affecting consumption. On Wednesday I'm going to reset the ecu and also check the brakes are dissengaging correctly.
  • 2009 slx crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm pleased to say my fuel consumption is dropping now. Thanks for the advice, it may have been numerous things affecting consumption. On Wednesday I'm going to reset the ecu and also check the brakes are dissengaging correctly.

:goodjob: :D

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I ALWAYS return 5.5-5.7litres in my 09 SX manual wagon. I always get between 980-1050km a tank when filled right to the brim

Oh and 7.5-7.9 litres towing a 1100kg camper
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline sheppards1984

• 2nd Gear

• hu Hungary
From my limited experience with my car, I usually get mileages around 5.5 and 6.0 l/100 km.

Last time I got 5.7 l/100 with 80% highway and 20% 5-6km short city trips..and it's still winter :victory:
On the higHway I keep a good healthy 130kph average if possible
  • 2009 Hyundai I30 1.6 Crdi Comfort

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
130 kmh will eat into your economy, due to wind resistance.

:link: Mpg For Speed - Fuel Efficiency Vs. Speed
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:17:06 by Phil №❶ »

Offline sheppards1984

• 2nd Gear

• hu Hungary
Yea,among a lot of other stuff. But with all this in mind,the fuel consumption for the 1.6 crdi shouldn't be higher than 6 l/100 km on the highway, on average. For extra-urban 90-100 kmh driving,I get around 4,5 l/100km figures.

My friends drive toyota avensis,ford focus,renault lagunas,they're all diesels, with 5speed transmissions, and they also get by with around 6 l/100 on the highway (130 kph,the speed limit in Hungary)
  • 2009 Hyundai I30 1.6 Crdi Comfort

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Sam i had two FD manual Diesels, they way you drive effects the economy more than anything, driving at 120kph you always use a bit more.
also you need to brim the tank to very top ( slow process unless your using a premium low troth fuel ) dif between first click & brimmed on the FD is 10L, if you drive till the fuel low light comes on then brim, you should get 57L in or very close to that.
also when you first reset the trip Computer the readings you get are for short distances, as you leave it longer without re setting you start to get a more realistic reading. i lived in Sydney drove my two i30 CRDi's to commute to work & home traffic could be heavier than the Gong but i always seemed to get 5.2 to 5.4L/100k & trips in country 4.7 & best was very low 4's. i once filled up at Carlingford then drove to Melbourne via coast road i covered a distance of over 1,000k Carlingford to near a Victorian town call Emerald all i could get in to tank brimmed was 44L so work that out & you would know that coast road hilly bumpy & twisty.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal