Car for servicing

Raid · 76 · 16436

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Two things here.

1.  The thread is not about price, it is about trust, Raid has repeatedly told us the franchise dealers he has been speaking to have been giving him duff information, the service booklet details what needs to be done and an indie can do it, irrespective of price.

2.  Whilst it is easier to simply accept using the dealer as the onus of any issues fall directly with them should a warranty issue arise, if you don't trust the dealer and have a reputable indie you do trust which one do you as the owner actually go with?  It becomes a personal decision.

I was simply highliighting an alternative that Raid can explore, should he wish to....
That is rite bumpkin and I do have a mechanic that I trust 110% and I know that guy has more knowledge about cars than the guy who work at the dealer but the thing is he is not a VAT registered so that's where the problem is and I have been reading on here and everywhere else that I can do my service somewhere else as long as the garage I go to is a VAT register that's 1 thing now my other concern.

Let say I go to the dealer for all the main service for 20,000, 40,000 so on for the warranty and the stamp and if I would like to change the oil in between let's says for 30,000,   50,000 and i buy the proper recommended oil and parts keep the receipt and do log a log file of all the things I have done on the car from my friend or myself even tho I'm not a qualified mechanic will that avoid my warranty plz?

Just wanted to make sure about that last one if you guys don't mind me asking plz.

Thanks a lot for all your help n patient really appreciate it.
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The answer to your question depends on your mileage, if you do more than 10k miles per annum, then you do not need a stamped interim (10k) service, so if you choose to change the oil at 10k, which will be less than 12 months, then you can do that yourself, as long as you use the authorised parts and consumables.

If you do less than 10k per annum then you need a stamped interim service.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Fair call Brian - yer pays yer money an' yer teks yer pick.

I have always used the main dealer to service my cars in order to avoid any inconvenience or hassle in the event of a warranty claim. Also I am lazy and it's the easy way.

I recognise however that my philosophy in life "that you get what you pay for - pay cheap - get cheap" sometimes is not necessarily true.

If I knew of a reliable indie and the cost saving was significant - I would go for it - but I don't.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I fall into the last category.
I know of an independent who is between a half & two thirds the cost of a Hyundai service centre.
That alone would probably not sway me, but on top of that I trust them as I have used them for years, know they are honest and I know that when I supply my own oil of choice they will actually use it, so it's a win/win for me.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
The answer to your question depends on your mileage, if you do more than 10k miles per annum, then you do not need a stamped interim (10k) service, so if you choose to change the oil at 10k, which will be less than 12 months, then you can do that yourself, as long as you use the authorised parts and consumables.

Hmmm I will be doing less than 6000 miles a year that's for sure so I guess I will have to do the interim and get a stamp as well from them

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Hmmm I will be doing less than 6000 miles a year that's for sure so I guess I will have to do the interim and get a stamp as well from them

Yes, or a stamp from a VAT registered Indie........

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Thanks guys and I won't annoy you guys again with servicing and all understood now

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Fair call Brian - yer pays yer money an' yer teks yer pick.

I have always used the main dealer to service my cars in order to avoid any inconvenience or hassle in the event of a warranty claim. Also I am lazy and it's the easy way.

I recognise however that my philosophy in life "that you get what you pay for - pay cheap - get cheap" sometimes is not necessarily true.

If I knew of a reliable indie and the cost saving was significant - I would go for it - but I don't.

I do know a reliable indie, but he is the other side of the city from me, the Kia dealer is a 5 minute walk from my house, so laziness is also my nemesis!!

Also as stated an indie may not necessarily be cheaper, but if your trust lies with them then that is what you should go with, my mate with the ix35 uses an indie (her experience of Hyundai Aberdeen matched mine!) and has had a couple of warranty claims which have been rectified with no problem.

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
I received this from Hy in an email the other day.

Hope it helps.

• 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland

Dont get the logic in your points here.

Grateful if you could you explain.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the list mate

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the list mate

Pleasure.

Just be aware that my car is a 64 plate 2014 model. Dont know if there was a change to service schedule for earlier vehicles.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Hyundai service schedule
Normal service interval is 20K or every 2 years
If car does less than 10k per annum then they demand an interim 1yr service

If car does more than 10k they don't.

It is not my logic, it is theirs, I think it is mad that you do need a 12 month service at 9,999 but don't at 10,001!!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think it is mad that you do need a 12 month service at 9,999 but don't at 10,001!!
:whsaid:

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland

Hyundai service schedule
Normal service interval is 20K or every 2 years
If car does less than 10k per annum then they demand an interim 1yr service

If car does more than 10k they don't.

It is not my logic, it is theirs, I think it is mad that you do need a 12 month service at 9,999 but don't at 10,001!!

Thanks......I agree, its mad!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I think it is mad that you do need a 12 month service at 9,999 but don't at 10,001!!

I agree and have highlighted this fact in many posts that 1 mile on the clock can make the difference between an interim or not.

It would be interesting if Hy UK's would like to post on here their thinking behind this magic 1 mile.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal