i30 Owners Club

Time for another economy run

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
G'day all

As the subject suggests I'm going for another economy run. The drive in question, Newcastle to Townsville and return, roughly 4200km round trip.

I won't be pursuing the absolute range off the tank (I want to leave tolerances, don't want to be left a long way from home with no help) unless I think it's safe to do so i.e. get to Townsville with fuel still in the tank.

The main aim is to get the lowest l/100km between fillups.

The plan see's me depart Newcastle and then fill up with a full tank once the engine is warmed up (to get the best poss figure) and driving North to Dorrigo then onto Surfers Paradise for my first stop (with family).

Second day see's me driving first to Cooroy to fill up with BP Ulitmate diesel fuel (Cooroy is the furthest north BP in QLD with ultimate) At this fill up I should have travelled between 950-1000km from Newie (well within the capabilities of the car) before continuing onto my next place of rest Rockhampton.

Day 3 is Rockhampton to Townsville giving me 1200km ish since leaving Cooroy, this is pretty close to the max I've done off 1 tank (1226km) So hopefully a bit of driving around Townsville will help push it over depending on how much is left in the tank.

The tank that I got 1226 from was driving between Melbourne and Newcastle. This trip had a few things holding me back, Roadworks, air con, Girlfriend and the need for constant pit stops and luggage for 2 people and GF's shopping. I got 4.6l/100km.

This trip I'm doing alone so I can get away with less stops, less total weight, but I'm still going to hit roadworks and A/C use will have to be rather liberal considering how warm it already is (and will only be warmer the further north I go)

This trip the aim is to be under 4.5, I've got no mods, car is completely stock standard, except for the Scangauge II.

Wish me luck!

Regards

Daniel

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
As you cruise on up the Bruce Highway on day 2 about 40 minutes before
you refuel at Cooroy, and a  few Kms south of the Caloundra exit, look
left to see Mount Mellum. You just might see me waving and wishing you
well on your economy run.
Good luck, Russ
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I did Newie to Brisbane and back two weeks ago...

Road works are pretty much the main feature of the trip at the moment.  That was mid week though, so it may be opened up for the weekends.
We spent a lot of time either stopped by flagmen / temp traffic lights, or doing 40kph for long stretches.

There are a fair few road works north of Brisbane through to the Sunshine Coast at the moment too.

I managed 4.9 l/100k overall (without trying), and thought THAT was brilliant!!!
Mind you, I stand on the go pedal at every opportunity... I just love that torque.

Good luck with it mate.

(BTW, I am NOT convinced using Cruise Control is the BEST economical driving method either!  I reckon YOU can control the power ON better, particularly on hill ascents.)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hey Daniel good luck, thats an easy trip mate, just the bruce hwy between rocky & mac is the most borring stretch on hwy imaginable mate, you only get to see the beautifull QLD coast in one spot.
it's an easy two day trip sydney to Townsville if your not into sightseeing, and have always seemed to manage to get good economy, but have not done the trip in the i30 7 last time i did it roadworks hold ups not too bad.
when i have got my best economy useing cruise control i have set the CC @ 1,900rpm in 5th so not a fast speed ( but don't speed in QLD!) they have unmarked 4WD's with speed camera's on the bruce hwy and its straight & flat for as far as you can see and 100kph if you speed they get you and the pic of you and the bill and a list of reasons you might think you could use and they won't take nothing but your cold hard cash, so keep an eye out, most people up there will give you a warning flash. you enjoy yourself mate! 1,100 is easy no risk 1,200 on a trip like that one person also not hard, i saw SuperCheap sell 20LT containers for Diesel with screw in spout.
cheers

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hey Daniel good luck, thats an easy trip mate, just the bruce hwy between rocky & mac is the most borring stretch on hwy imaginable mate, you only get to see the beautifull QLD coast in one spot.
it's an easy two day trip sydney to Townsville if your not into sightseeing, and have always seemed to manage to get good economy, but have not done the trip in the i30 7 last time i did it roadworks hold ups not too bad.
when i have got my best economy useing cruise control i have set the CC @ 1,900rpm in 5th so not a fast speed ( but don't speed in QLD!) they have unmarked 4WD's with speed camera's on the bruce hwy and its straight & flat for as far as you can see and 100kph if you speed they get you and the pic of you and the bill and a list of reasons you might think you could use and they won't take nothing but your cold hard cash, so keep an eye out, most people up there will give you a warning flash. you enjoy yourself mate! 1,100 is easy no risk 1,200 on a trip like that one person also not hard, i saw SuperCheap sell 20LT containers for Diesel with screw in spout.
cheers

Well everybody I'm now in Townsville, but the results aren't so great so far. I was doing the speed limit (wasn't going to go ultra economy like you suggested Lakes sorry)

1st tank was Heatherbrae (north of Newcastle) to Cooroy (south of Gympie) Only about 800km but I only returned a 5.0l/100km.

Filling up at Cooroy, which is the northern most BP with Ultimate Diesel fuel I was hoping to get to Townsville before filling up, unfortunately I only got 1075km for a 5.4l/100km fitting 56lts into the tank (DTE at 80ish km). The reason being was my heat wusseyness required almost constant air con, it was 35C outside and the dash was one big massive conductor of heat.

Since filling up at Bowen (200km south of Townsville) and with no air con (today, particularly this arvo was much cooler 27 at fill up 24 on arrival to townsville) I've managed a 4.9l/100km, nothing great but still better than normal.

I've been rather good with the throttle, very gentle application etc etc, but I think there are a few things that have been holding me back a little bit, such as the tyres, air density due to the heat, cars still rather well loaded even with just me, and the road surface.

So overall it's been a bit disappointing but you get that sometimes, hopefully the trip back down will be better.

Lakes wrt the 4WD speed cameras unfortunately I didn't see your post before I left. I did see a couple of them and of the ones I saw I know I was fine, but there were a couple of occasions (like overtaking a truck) where if there was one that I didn't see I might be in for a bit of hurt.......

The reason why it was 3 days was because I was seeing family on the Gold Coast and didn't feel confident doing GC to Townsville in 1 day so I split that trip in 2 all 3 days where almost identical travel distances.

Anyway I'm off to sleep now, gotta be ready for the airshow practice tomorrow!

Click Click!

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Glad you made it Daniel, if you have a GPS use the speedo on that and stick right on 100kph GPS speed, as in NSW we have 10% over allowance for speedo inacuracy, but i think QLD have a ver tight margin, play it safe.
the road surface up there could be causing your economy as bad road surface will cause rolling resistance, also the high humidity means poor air quality lot of water in the air, but think it's still dry seaon up there.
did you notice if BP ultimate Diesel felt better?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's an interesting comment John about the road surface effecting economy as I have mentioned B4 we have a lot of coarse finished bitumen down here these days. My brother who recently visited kept saying how bad the i30 was for road noise and he wouldn't accept it was the road surface but it is a lot quieter on the older, smoother stuff...Anyway that coarse surface combined with the hills might explain my 5.6 L/ph  :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Anyway that coarse surface combined with the hills might explain my 5.6 L/ph  :'(

Pinning yourself to the rear window every time you accelerate has nothing to do with you it, you don't think, Dazz?

:-)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hey Glad you made it Daniel, if you have a GPS use the speedo on that and stick right on 100kph GPS speed, as in NSW we have 10% over allowance for speedo inacuracy, but i think QLD have a ver tight margin, play it safe.
the road surface up there could be causing your economy as bad road surface will cause rolling resistance, also the high humidity means poor air quality lot of water in the air, but think it's still dry seaon up there.
did you notice if BP ultimate Diesel felt better?

Hey Lakes

Yea I use my GPS and SGII for speed readings, doesn't mean I wouldn't be in trouble for over taking the truck...........

I think road surface did have an effect and possibly also my tyres (nearly 40k now) as they are reaching the end of their life, getting harder and possibly in the heat getting 'stickier'

After this trip I'll probably get 2 Hankook 'Enfren' tyres to go on the rear, with some performance tyres on the front.

As for the ultimate I don't think it's to dissimilar to the Vortex, I was going for economy so I didn't really test out the performance aspect, foaming wise I think it's a little worse than vortex but still better than normal. I also picked it up at a rather old servo so who knows what state the underground tanks were in, I don't think I'll be filling up there on the way back.

Anyway my trip back down the coast commences tomorrow. 1st day to Rockhampton, 2nd day to Gold coast (for family) then 3rd day back to Newcastle.

Here's hoping it will be a better run this time.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Have a safe trip home Daniel, can put 40psi to 42psi into the tyres, this helps rolling resistance, if you had a heat gun that you point at anything to get a temp reading, that would be a good way to judge how much friction between (road ,tyre & rolling resistance ) as if there is more friction the tyres will run hotter and higher wear , & uses more to drive the car forward. with a heat gun ( for a better word?) gives you a more accurate idea between tyre pressure's. tyre company's always like you to run more or higher air pressure for safty, car company's tell you to run lower pressure than tyre company's recomend for ride quality.
Well have a safe trip home watch out for those speed camera's, if you were caught you will soon know as they post out the bill with your pic & speed fast. ( how do i know ) :wink:
ps. there is a servo before Rocky, just looks like a roadhouse nothing special to look at, but they had the best Mud Crab salad sandwichs i've tasted so i can't pass that place :).
cheers

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That's an interesting comment John about the road surface effecting economy as I have mentioned B4 we have a lot of coarse finished bitumen down here these days. My brother who recently visited kept saying how bad the i30 was for road noise and he wouldn't accept it was the road surface but it is a lot quieter on the older, smoother stuff...Anyway that coarse surface combined with the hills might explain my 5.6 L/ph  :'(

Could be a factor Dazz, feel your tyres after you drive for say at least half an hour, and see it they feel warm or hot, my tyres feel just warm not hot, if they feel hot i put more air in.
i noticed on my last trip to victoria that NSW road surface's were a lot smoother now than the VIC side's of boarder. but that was on main roads, our country roads are no better most country roads are cold mix. QLD have very smooth roads near the boarder on the coast but, very poor quality surfaces inland, i supose it depends on who pays to upkeep them, like local or state or federal.
another good reason to replace with Michelin Energy Tyres.
cheers

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Well Im now sitting it Rocky with 5.0l/100km on the clock with 720km travelled. A big improvement (0.5l/100km) over the same leg going north. Todays temps were a little bit cooler which helped I think.

Biggest thing was I didn't use the air con, a little bit of improvise, adapt and overcome came into play and I stuck a rather damp towel on the dash, this kept the dash cooled and stopped it from reflecting all the heat onto me and into the car. Throughout the day I ended up emptying a whole 750ml bottle of water over it. Well worth it though.

I doubt I'm going to make it to Cooroy but I'll give it a shot.

Sorry Lakes didn't missed out on the truckstop but I'm staying at the Heritage hotel (nice cheap room, $39 weekdays) and they have a restaurant with the most awesome beer battered fish.

Anyway time for bed, early start tomorrow, got to get to my uncle's place on the gold coast nice and early.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Anyway time for bed, early start tomorrow, got to get to my uncle's place on the gold coast nice and early.

Would that be for your birthday party? :D

Happy Birthday btw
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

Would that be for your birthday party? :D

Happy Birthday btw

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! No one's meant to know!

But yes it was in fact my 22nd B'day.

I'm home now and have a few results to put forward.

I continued my journey from Rockhampton and it became pretty apparent that I was not going to make it to Cooroy, so I changed destinations to Gympie which I think I may have just made it but ended up stopping in Maryborough with 93km on the DTE and 5.0l/100km, for a quick splash and dash to get me to Cooroy. I didn't want to risk running out going up a hill that I was aware of between Maryborough and Gympie as until this trip I'd never been along it.

At this point I figured out that I put in a little more than necessary to get to Cooroy and I remembered seeing (what looked like brand new) BPs on either side of the Highway at Caboolture with big Ultimate (Not specifically Diesel) banners all over the place so drove there, I was fairly certain the BP website had mentioned that it did have Ultimate Diesel. Got there with 110km left on the DTE and found despite all the ULTIMATE banners everywhere, the bowsers were only marked as Diesel (no ultimate, no premium, just diesel) rather peeved and short for time I filled the tank full (when I went in to pay I asked to talk to a Manager but it was to late in the day so I didn't bother wasting my time with the attendant) and drove to my Uncles place on the Gold Coast.

During this drive I threw economy driving out the window, drove through Brisbane instead of around (I didn't have Electronic tollway passes) in peak hour traffic with countless traffic lights etc etc etc, along with a little hill climb at the end to give a total of 4.7l/100km!!!! How on earth did this happen!!!! I couldn't beleive it. The only conclusion that I can get from it is the combination of cooler air in the evening and better roads significantly helped. I did find that the car was also accelerating very well (so whilst not marked the Caboolture servo might be Ultimate Diesel after all)

Yesterday I departed my Uncles home for Newcastle but stopped to top up at a servo in Tweed Heads (the furthest south) which the BP website stated did have Ultimate diesel available but only got 7.5 lts in.

Again driving with economy as not even an afterthought I drove down the Pacific Highway until reaching Grafton, at this point again the consumption was 4.7l/100km. Despite the accelerations when required (speed zone changes, coming out the other side of roadworks, traffic lights etc etc, I was returning better results than when I was trying to be economical.

At this point I made a detour for a fun (but still legal) drive to Dorrigo along Armidale Rd. I'd never been along it before but it is now ranked as my second most favourite drive I have ever done, lots of twists and turns, hill climbs etc etc. It would really be a perfect road to seal off and make into a road rally. If you are ever in the area I recommend it for anyone who likes a spirited drive.

This little run did impact the economy a fair bit however bringing my consumption up to 5.3l/100km once I reached Dorrigo. After Dorrigo I headed back out to the Pacific highway nearly 100km north of Kempsey, this section also had a few nice windys, mainly all descending, and there was a strong smell of brake pads in the air, personally I barely used them if necessary engine braking and predicting how the road would proceed was enough.

From this point until I got back to Newcastle I managed to get the consumption back down to 5.0l/100km, not bad considering the workout the car had had earlier.

In conclusion, I think driving like a grandma/trying to drive economically doesn't really do much/might even be detrimental. Just go out there and enjoy the Torque!

Regards

Daniel

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
I just did a return trip to Buladelah from Sydney.. averaged 3.7 on the way there (with tail wind) and got back home (into the now significantly strengthened wind) with 4.1 on the computer. measured 4.18 on refill.. sitting on speed limit the whole way with a fair load of stuff (about 150kgs of gear in the car plus myself).. very happy with that

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I just did a return trip to Buladelah from Sydney.. averaged 3.7

That's Hybrid beating !!!

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
it's amazing, hey.. i'm getting the feel that mine is particularly economical. ran the engine in hard - warmed up easy and then put under maximum load as often as possible in the first few thousand kms, and continued (although not quite as aggressively) to do so until 10,000km. now she has 19,000km and using Nulon 5W30 synthetic (best oil on the market for those in the know) and with 42psi in tyres she just glides along. the key is to do the speed limit and rev up over 3500rpm every so often to clear the turbo vanes.

amazed at what this engine can do.. imagine the U2 and a six speed!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
it's amazing, hey.. i'm getting the feel that mine is particularly economical. ran the engine in hard - warmed up easy and then put under maximum load as often as possible in the first few thousand kms, and continued (although not quite as aggressively) to do so until 10,000km. now she has 19,000km and using Nulon 5W30 synthetic (best oil on the market for those in the know) and with 42psi in tyres she just glides along. the key is to do the speed limit and rev up over 3500rpm every so often to clear the turbo vanes.

amazed at what this engine can do.. imagine the U2 and a six speed!

Sounds great Murray  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well done Murray, what's the furthest between fill up's you have managed?
i put a load on mine to run in too as helps push rings out to wear a good seal but have never go to do a leak down test to check that it really does have good seal ( don't think i'll bother eather )
what proof have you got about nulon oil?

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
the longest i have done on the trip computer was something like 1160km, but that was with a bit to spare and i had not overfilled that tank. just got back from a trip to port macquarie this weekend with 3.9 on the computer for the 800km trip. filled back up to give 4.06 l/100km actual consumption. i should try for some massive range on a single tank. at 4 l/100km with 59-60 litres in the tank, well 1400km should be a safe bet..

i will dig up all the blurb about nulon oil, but to cut to the chase they use a combination of very pricey anti-wear additives that give a huge benefit in engine friction reductions.. don't have time now, but will get back to you with more details. suffice to say, testing shows massive friction reductions compared to the majors.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Murry, i don't have trip computer, so can't compare that way. but i like to know how far i can go on a long trip, so i can plan the trip to the maxium. i always fill to the top, that is not overfilling as diesel fuel does not expand like petrol.
it's always good to learn about oil's, specialy if its from someone that looks inside the motors and inspects motors that have run on the oil for a while.
with Nulon i have only ever talked to one guy that ever said anything possitive, and he is a tuner engine builder, that has an engine dyno.
another friend who knows little about engines but is a Metalurgist and was  working at university lecturing about twenty years back, was aproached by Nulon to do tests, he caried out the tests comparing to normal mineral oil. and at the end there was no difference. Nulon wanted him to confirm there product was better than others but he would not as it was no better. but that was as i said twenty years ago.
also the test they did on the car were they filled with Nulon aditive and drained then drove to melbourne from sydney, the motor was shot you could not re start it, so hard to say if thats good or not .
BUT that was when they just had additives now they have oil's.
the guy that has engine dyno just mentioned that he had good results on his dyno useing Nulon oil, but you are the only other person i know to give possitive feedback. if that oil gets better economy then it will be the first time just useing oil to get an economy gain for me.
looking forward to learning more about nulon.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal