Guest · 104 · 32808

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
5000km reached :mrgreen:
Running like a charm, will have to leave it alone more often because otherwise i'll get to 100k within 2 years and thats a huge NO NO! :D

One question, is this engine SOHC or DOHC?
Whats the difference between SOHC 16valve and DOHC 16valve?
Isnt a greater stress on belt with 16 valves and SOHC?

I ask that because all reviews i have seen said that it is upgraded older CRDi engine with dual camshaft and variable geometry turbine, and from looks of it comments are that it is a single camshaft....

1: You have a SOHC engine...
2: SOHC=Single overhead camshaft, DOHC=Dual overhead camshaft
3: No, If you compare a 16 valve SOHC engine with a 16 valve DOHC engine. Yes, if you compare a 8 valve SOHC engine with a 16 valve SOHC engine.

Don't worry about your engine.
It is a very proven engine in many models by Hyundai and Kia.
Example: Hyundai i30, Hyundai Sonata, Hyundai Tucson, Kia Carens, Kia Cee'd, Kia Magentis and Kia Sportage.
If not the power is sufficient, you can always buy a power box that increases power from  :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: 140hp - 165hp and torque from 305 to 360.  :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

This is a fantastic engine, you hardly notice if you towing a caravan or a trailer with it...

• I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Xamaxy
Ty SRT, i was under impression that SOHC is obsolete design that was abandoned!
I owe you a beer already with so many usefull replies from you  :wink:

Cars power was never an issue, 140hp is by faaaaar enough.
I had few offers for chip tunning car to 170hp and 365Nm and i refused.
So far from what i gather here in Croatia tuners are a lazy fu***, they increase values in like 10minutes from their past experience with that type of car. I dont want to do that. I dont need to get 170HP, all i want is well tuned engine that does not include many parameters which factory has to obey (emissions as a first one), meaning i get overall perfectly tuned car with few HP and Nm more, better engine work and less stressfull, slightly better economy etc.

Then again doing that without atleast better intake and exhaust is perhaps not a very good move -> that good service i did not find in Croatia, so once i decide to go and do it i'll have to go to a different country and perhaps wait for a few days or many hours for them to tweak it, replace parts etc ->way more money.

PS i did read about power box here on forum and i dont find it reliable..

PPS does anyone have a picture, shematics or similar of that 2.0 crdi?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The entire range of engines is DOHC, double overhead camshaft.

More info here
http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/ppddaiddddyy/SOHC.html
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
According to the Aussie Website

http://www.hyundai.com.au/i30/default.aspx

Brian is right (certainly with the 2 Ltr and 1.6 Diesel anyway..)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The 2.0 CRDi that was peviously available in the UK was, I'm pretty sure, a SOHC engine with a belt.

IF there is a 2.0CRDi DOHC with chain available in any market now it would probably have the new R series engine, but I haven't seen it mentioned here or in any Hyundai press releases.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Hyundai i30 2.0 CRDi spec from Hyundai Sweden...

http://www.hyundai.se/dw/hyundai/docs/pics/i30Kombi_Faktablad_090203.pdf

In Swedish, but scroll down to page 4 in the document.

• I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks like you were right Lorian (think we'll have to start calling you "wiki"  :eek:)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks like you were right Lorian (think we'll have to start calling you "wiki"  :eek:)

Wasn't it Anakin Skywalker who had an high count of "wikilorians"?  :cool:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Xamaxy
Update:
Currently on 7200km :lol:
Cant believe that i enjoy driving it even more then the day i got it.

Had some small issues with turn indicators, from time to time they refused to work. Really happy how official Hyundai service tried everything to resolve it, and by the looks of it nuisance is gone!

Also, engine got the chip. Dude that installed it looks like a God for Hyundai hehehe so every little fear i had with this action was sort of removed :D
We still need to do the measuring, but it should be in the neighbourhood of 170HP and 366Nm.
Difference in driving is simply AWESOME :eek: :eek:
Ofc it is much faster now and things like that, but i'm REALLY impressed with economy. Easy driving to work, 180km open road in one way, mostly around 90-110kph 5th-6th gear, 70kph through villages, overtaking etc, usually gave me back around 5,4l average. Now is on 4,3l!!!
Trip computer says 80kph in 5th is 3,7l, and 95kph in 6th is 3.5l, simply insane numbers.

City average went from 6,4l to 5,6l.

Since i'm driving it light and enjoy every kilometer rather then killing it i hope chip wont do any problems.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fantastic feedback Xamaxy .. So far no major negatives for those with chipped motors (touch wood) :wink:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Aaaa man, I would so love to get the 2.0 now and chip it to 170  :twisted: :twisted:

I've driven a Kia Pro_ceed once, that was chipped like yours 140->170 and...damn  8) But there was a smaller problem with the clutch, because the guy who had it, wasn't really careful - changing the gears aggressively  :rolleyes:

Do you have any movies of acceleration..50-90, 80-120, 120-160..?  :wink:

Xamaxy
@Accim, sorry, no movies yet, tried once 0-100kph, got 8,7s and i really, reeeeeeaaaally suck at 1st gear, so once i get it done it should go down atleast .2-.3s if not more....soon 2 month vacation and will do some measuring

@everyone

I need every bit of crazy, insane etc advice i can get.

In my previous post i mentioned troubles with turn indicator. It usually just stopped working in the middle of a trip, for a few seconds or for the rest of the trip. Official Hyundai dealership changed my fuse box/box with fuses (sry, dont know direct eng translation).
Since that they worked perfectly for awhile and then again, but this time, "smaller" problem.
I started car and they dont work, they were dead for a few mins before i turned AC on, after 10 seconds they work perfectly! -car was sitting on the parking for few days on the sun.
Next day the same thing, again very hot in car, turn it on and they dont work..AC on and they start to work.

This thursday and friday was cold and rain, both days they work perfectly from start.

Today, few hours ago (19:05h here), after 2 days of sun burning again same thing, start the car, they are dead, until AC cooled teh car.

Is there ANY, and by that i mean ANY WHAT-SO-EVER correlation between those two?
Is it just a funny coincidence??  If not HOW can high temperature after car staying on the sun be connected with dead turn indicators???
IS there a wire loose??? Something in contact??? ANYTHING???

Pls throw any ideas you have no matter what!

THX!!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
What you describe certianly shows some correlation, but I don't think we should try working out the coefficient.

If it's not just dumb luck, then it points to the indicator switch/stalk on the steering column being faulty, as that'll be the only significant component that the air conditioning would be cooling.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Xamaxy, sorry to hear of your heat-related(?) problem.

You might get more feedback if you repost this as a separate non model-related issue ;)

Xamaxy
Do you have any movies of acceleration..50-90, 80-120, 120-160..?  :wink:

Still no movies accim sry, only raw data.
Again take into account my extremely bad start with 1st gear that affects all results except 80-120km/h.
Damn im noob, i really need to learn it!

0-100 km/h   -8.8 sec    
80-120 km/h  -4,9 sec  
0-160 km/h   -20,325 sec  

Quarter mile 16,239sec@141,88km/h

Regarding my little problem with turn indicators, yes, its the heat, we had a good long laugh at hyundai dealership. I have one very special i30 :lol:
Dude said to contact HMC for any advice they may have before we take everything apart hehe  :mrgreen:

Offline considering

• 1st Gear

Xamaxy
Is yours a black or hyper silver?

Didnt get that :question:
You mean interior? Then yes, its black.
You have idea?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Is yours a black or hyper silver?

Didnt get that :question:

Hi Xamaxy. You'll find your picture link in the opening post of this thread no longer exists, which might be why "considering" asked the question

Xamaxy
Oh, my bad, i'll upload pics again + video when i catch some time round friday.

@considering
Its vivid blue metallic.

Xamaxy
I'm baaaack :D
Had a lot things to do and job change etc etc so i neglected this awesome forum :'(  i apologize! :wink:

Well, where to start.

Currently at 25.000km and at 22.2. will be my precious first year :love:
20.000km since chip was installed and not a single issue what-so-ever. Around 30.000km chip price will be compensated just from fuel economy difference :mrgreen:
Hyundai service changed turn indicator assembly and now waiting for spring and summer to see if everything ok.

Still enjoy ever single trip i take, only hate those speed limits on the road hehehehe
Changes i did were first seat covers. I would go insane if some drink is spilled by accident directly on the seat and i hated to drive car after sports, to seat in it so greasy etc.
Pics:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4839/slika1lp.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9089/slika2d.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2308/slika3wf.jpg

Next i did alloys. 7x16" sooo much better then 6x16". Did not go for 17" or 18" since i like comfort and smooth ride. Once i repay credit i will try new things and first will be 18" ultralight alloys etc.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Third thing i did was HBT cold air intake (or cold air induction?). Amazing difference, car goes significantly better.
We took car for a test then and i drove it good. But then i said to the guy that installed chip and cai go you make a run to see what this setup can really do. Boy i was  :scared:
7,5s        0-100kph
4,4s        80-120kph
15,268s   402m (quarter mile)

I have a trip to do tomorrow most likely so i'll take a better video of CAI sound, and with some acceleration.

Future "work" include LSD insert (well that's not so future since its done next week :twisted:) to minimize wheel roll and exhaust to complement intake and chip.
->Is it possible to make exhaust free-flowing and still silent?
That would make all work on the engine final since there is noting left to do within reasonable price range :mrgreen:
Final output of healthy 180-190hp and 400-415Nm.

Cheers!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gr8 post glad to see you back..

The Turbo stifles a lot of the noise from the engine so a free flowing exhaust from the Catalyst Converter back only slightly increases the exhaust noise.. :cool:

Xamaxy
Gr8 post glad to see you back..

The Turbo stifles a lot of the noise from the engine so a free flowing exhaust from the Catalyst Converter back only slightly increases the exhaust noise.. :cool:

That sounds like dream come true! :mrgreen:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I like the wheels, I love what you did with the engine (that it goes better), but I'm not so much keen about the seat covers  :wink:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
... I'm not so much keen about the seat covers  :wink:
Me too, but now i have a nice, big smut of chocolate on the back seat :confused:

Future "work" include LSD insert
(click to show/hide)
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Xamaxy
Next day i got seat covers i accidentaly (ofc) spilled McD coke. So seat covers FTW! I would kick myself in the nuts if it wasnt for seat covers to protect :mrgreen:

Hahaha babis_xo, takes one to know one  :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal