i30 Owners Club

2009 Steering

Alk · 4 · 496

Offline Alk

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hello,

I have an i30 2009 CRDi Comfort 5 Door Estate, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual. I am in the UK.

It has done a low mileage and I have a developed a knock from the steering when the steering wheel is turned. Strangely, it appears to be worse when the weather is cold. The independent garage has looked at the steering rack and says it is OK and thinks that it is the electric motor. I have seen lots of youtube videos about this problem with the bush in the electric motor.

However, in my engine bay, I see what looks remarkably like a power steering fluid reservoir. Unfortunately, it has no label on the top of it. On ebay, I have found the exact same reservoir, so I link you to the listing so that you can see it for yourself: :link: POWER STEERING FLUID TANK / 16308009 FOR HYUNDAI I30CW CLASSIC | eBay
If you click through the pictures on the ebay listing you will see that it has come from the same car that I have, although it is 2012 UK registered. On the picture of the engine bay, you can see the reservoir is sited on the left hand side next to the shock absorber mounting and it has a hose that goes to a unit that has other connections, one of which goes through the firewall.

So my question is please, what type of steering do I have please? do I have an electric motor that is the cause of my steering wheel knock?

Thank you very much for your help.
  • 2009 CRDi Comfort 5 Door Estate, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The FD i30s have electric power steering. No fluid.
That looks like a clutch fluid reservoir to me but I can't remember if the FD has a hydraulic or cable clutch.
The knock will definitely be from the bush. The part is inexpensive and it's a couple of hours job for someone who knows what they're doing.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Alk

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Thank you very much for your reply Surferdude.

I have looked in my user manual and you are correct - it is a clutch fluid reservoir. I can see that it is interlinked with the brake servo.

Thank you for confirming for me about the cause of the steering knock. I have bought a new bush off ebay and I hope to be able to get the bush replaced soon by a local mechanic. No one local to me has experienced fixing this issue before.

Fingers crossed as they say. Thanks again for your help.
  • 2009 CRDi Comfort 5 Door Estate, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I can confirm hydraulic clutch.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal