i30 Owners Club

SLX CRDi Manual

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
I'm only less than a week in but I'm really happy so far with the consumption.
Sitting 5.4l p/100km with 290kms on the ODO.

This is all city driving (inc crawling along the Monash twice a day - for those who know SE 'burbs of Melbourne) only avg 38kmp/h so have yet to give it any country kms.

Can't wait to get it on open country roads to see the consumption then.

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
Know the area well, great economy by the way

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mine has now done 1500km and is on the last legs of the fuel in the tank...is showing 4.8l/100km at an average speed of 60km/h and is predicting around 1100km from the tank....WOW!!!!

That is nearly twice the distance that my previous car managed....gotta be impressed, especially considering that its best (from all reported accounts) has not arrived yet.

I LOVE diesels...especially this one.

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

I'm hearing ya.
I had a commodore before this - which wasn't **too** bad, but it was written off in the hail storm we had back a few months.
I started to use my wifes Territory to commute (94km round trip) to work and it started to cost me $120 p/wk in fuel and it sat around 15ltrs p/100km.  So I decided that I needed a more fuel economic car - and I couldn't go past the i-30 CRDi manual on paper.  I was surprised also with the room inside.  I took my 2 kids along with me and they fit comfortably in the back - 1 is still in a car seat, and with 1 one the way I reckon I could get away with 2 car seats and a booster seat in the back - worst case scenario with the wife in the front(probably a little squishy) but it could be done for the odd times we're all in the car together.

The final decision was made when I gave one a test drive........

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done clackerz .. It's not just the economy that makes you smile is it? :wink:

Welcome to our friendly little club :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
The final decision was made when I gave one a test drive........

same here!!

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Well done clackerz .. It's not just the economy that makes you smile is it? :wink:

Welcome to our friendly little club :mrgreen:

Nah - of course not!
I enjoyed giving it a kick tonight along the freeway and was pleasantly surprised by the acceleration even whilst in 5th and already at 90kms p/h.
I decided to give it a spin off from some lights before getting home and she really took off, I wasn't prepared and was chasing the gears!

Oh and it didn't affect my economy either  8)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They are not really a "red light derby" car but mine still makes me smile at highway speeds in 3rd 4th and 5th gear (after more than 2 years and 65,000 kilometres) :mrgreen:

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

No they're not, but I was quietly surprised nonetheless

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
They are not really a "red light derby" car but mine still makes me smile at highway speeds in 3rd 4th and 5th gear (after more than 2 years and 65,000 kilometres) :mrgreen:
Agreed. 1st just doesn't cut it :wink:

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Nah - it really gives a little kick in 2nd and 3rd

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Have to admit I have been pleasantly surprised with the kick the CRDi's have.
Like you clackerz I have only had mine a short time and I think the fuel economy is superb. Looking forward to see how much it can improve as the engine settles in.  :razz:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Agreed. 1st just doesn't cut it :wink:

yer first is stupidly geared... its too short

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
they are geared low in first, and the final diff ratio is on low side. but i'm like Razy, he liked the low gearing for excelleration & put low profile 15" wheels tyres on.
Reason i like the low gears is it makes the car fun. i drove a 1.6 common rail Ford Fiesta and it was tall geared did not feel nearly as much fun to drive, & it needed a lot of gear changing.
If you think they are slow off the lights, well they would be slower still with taller gearing.
after they get over 30,000k they get better still, i can get mine off the lights quick enough, use the Torque and do a quick shift into second, i shift off the Torque 3,500.also the trick to a quick launch off  the lights is your reaction time, if you react quick you go off first ( just hope no one run's a red light )
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey John.. You are a VERY NAUGHTY BOY but I like you... :D :lol:

I love the way some drivers over here get really p'd off when you pass them up hills (easily)in a little Korean buzz box .... :mrgreen:

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
they are geared low in first, and the final diff ratio is on low side. but i'm like Razy, he liked the low gearing for excelleration & put low profile 15" wheels tyres on.
Reason i like the low gears is it makes the car fun. i drove a 1.6 common rail Ford Fiesta and it was tall geared did not feel nearly as much fun to drive, & it needed a lot of gear changing.
If you think they are slow off the lights, well they would be slower still with taller gearing.
after they get over 30,000k they get better still, i can get mine off the lights quick enough, use the Torque and do a quick shift into second, i shift off the Torque 3,500.also the trick to a quick launch off  the lights is your reaction time, if you react quick you go off first ( just hope no one run's a red light )
cheers

I change from 1st to 2nd very quickly and launch quickly too but still think that 1st is too short. It doesn't need to be tall but needs to be a bit longer. It only lasts about 1 second.....

I feel I am changing gears a lot more often in the i30 than I am used to because of how short they are. Don't get me wrong, I love short gears and I like 2nd - 5th but I think 2 things:

1. That 1st is too short.
2. Australian delivered i30's should have a 6th gear.

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

2. Australian delivered i30's should have a 6th gear.

I totally agree - I reckon a 6th would be perfect.
I test drove a Mazda 6 Hatch before I settled on the i-30 and the 6th gear was very handy.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i guess its to help it get on boost as quick as possible...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I tried the quick change to 2nd from the lights a coupla times today (nice  :mrgreen:)

My wife's Tiida has 6 Speed box but 6th is not tall enough... :rolleyes:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
lol it chirps 2nd if you go too fast aye!

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Yeah agreed we need a sixth gear, and drop the gearing of 5th slightly so we can sit in 5th @ 60km/h

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well, if you go taller in the first gear, it will be softer off the mark, need a larger motor to pull taller gears. also the diesel comes on the Torque quick and falls off the Torque quick.
i mostly drive slow in traffic , as always more red lights down the road. i've noticed if i do half hour drive in Sydney. you might notice someone driving hard off the lights and changing lanes to try to get somewhere fast. And you just stick to middle lane and go along easy with the flow. then half hour latter, you notice you just past that guy thats in a big hurry :lol:
in the country or on freeway it's different. but i won't be useing much 1st gear in the country, 6th gear would be nice but at what cost? ( like gearbox needs increase in size to fit another gear. or if it stays same size the gears become smaller weaker. larger gearbox more weight.)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As usual John you post contains some good logic :exclaim: :wink:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
( like gearbox needs increase in size to fit another gear. or if it stays same size the gears become smaller weaker. larger gearbox more weight.)

It's a redesign, with less parts, and introduces some carbon parts roo, noteable on the 1st and 2nd gear synchro rings, overall I think it's supposed to be lighter than the 5 speed box.

Sometimes I leave the lights in 2nd gear to avoid that first gear quick change, usually when some knob in a **** is trying to get passed me.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
well, if you go taller in the first gear, it will be softer off the mark, need a larger motor to pull taller gears. also the diesel comes on the Torque quick and falls off the Torque quick.
i mostly drive slow in traffic , as always more red lights down the road. i've noticed if i do half hour drive in Sydney. you might notice someone driving hard off the lights and changing lanes to try to get somewhere fast. And you just stick to middle lane and go along easy with the flow. then half hour latter, you notice you just past that guy thats in a big hurry :lol:
in the country or on freeway it's different. but i won't be useing much 1st gear in the country, 6th gear would be nice but at what cost? ( like gearbox needs increase in size to fit another gear. or if it stays same size the gears become smaller weaker. larger gearbox more weight.)
6th gear seems to work fine in the UK and as mentioned above there are no problems like you mentioned
(weight, weaker)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
6th gear seems to work fine in the UK and as mentioned above there are no problems like you mentioned

Does anyone remember cars with just 3 forward and 1 reverse such as the Ford Prefect in the 60's?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Does anyone remember cars with just 3 forward and 1 reverse such as the Ford Prefect in the 60's?

The only one I can remember was a Valiant Charger... :wink:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

The only one I can remember was a Valiant Charger... :wink:

Dazz, Dazz......... go back a bit further. Try all early Holdens (3 on the tree).
And the Renault 750 and Dauphine (3 forwards and 1 reverse on the floor).
Pretty sure the Vauxhauls my  parents had were 3 and 1 also.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz, Dazz......... go back a bit further. Try all early Holdens (3 on the tree).
And the Renault 750 and Dauphine (3 forwards and 1 reverse on the floor).
Pretty sure the Vauxhauls my  parents had were 3 and 1 also.

I'm nearly 10 years younger than you  :wink:

Because my Stepdad had a car dealership we used to be mainly in late model cars when I was old enough to remember... :razz:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I for one am quite happy to just have a 5 speed box.....I can't understand the necessity for more and more gears.

Getting back on topic, I achieved 4.4 l/100k on a recent run which was a mixture of a long steady climb with the following run down hill at around the 100kph mark and with a bit of freeway cruising at 110kph.
I was pretty happy with that.... :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal