i30 Owners Club

Diesel i30 economy

pawl007 · 54 · 17255

Offline pawl007

• 2nd Gear
Hi Everyone

Just a question re the economy of the SLX diesel i30. I am currently using 7.3L per 100km around the streets of Perth in Western Australia. I was lead to believe initially that the diesel fuel economy was superior to that, however I am not complaining as I love the car and am reasonably happy with its current rate of performance. The vehicle has done approx 5000km in toto. I would like to know if the economy improves as the engine beds in more or this is it?? The yellowish sticker on the windscreen present when we bought it promised a rate of 4.4 L per 100km in combined city/country performance. Surely it can't improve that much in rural regions can it? Hopefully someone knows. Thanks a lot

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Pawl...

I think from your previous posts and the fact your sticker said 4.4 combined(Mine said 4.7?) that you have a manual..

Driving around the busy streets of Perth I would have thought if you keep the revs between about 1800 and 2700 you should be able to get that figure down to maybe 6.0 but you won't get 4.7 with all city driving.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
wont it also get better economy and more power once you've done around 10.000kms . :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've got 4.2 - 4.4l per100k on mainly flat open highway and freeway in my manual SLX....
Around town & on shortish drives around our hilly countryside, my i30 usually averages around 5.2 - 5.4..... :D
My i30 has close to 14,000k's on the clock...

Pip
Hi Everyone

Just a question re the economy of the SLX diesel i30. I am currently using 7.3L per 100km around the streets of Perth in Western Australia. I was lead to believe initially that the diesel fuel economy was superior to that, however I am not complaining as I love the car and am reasonably happy with its current rate of performance. The vehicle has done approx 5000km in toto. I would like to know if the economy improves as the engine beds in more or this is it?? The yellowish sticker on the windscreen present when we bought it promised a rate of 4.4 L per 100km in combined city/country performance. Surely it can't improve that much in rural regions can it? Hopefully someone knows. Thanks a lot
Unless things improved a lot from when I got mine, 4.4 would be country and 4.7 would be combined.
In practice, something around 5.0 ought be achievable for easy city driving.

I get 4.4 on a country trip and as I continue to drive around town that figure edges towards 5.0 and usually settles at about 4.9 with about 30/70% country/city for a tank.

As said, the economy will improve as the engine wears and the figures I offer are at 30k+ although I think have been similar since about 10k+.

The way you drive will have a large bearing on the actual figure you can expect. There is a thread on hypermiling here worth a look.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

From my visits to Perth I remember the majority of the city is fairly flat ... hills have an adverse effect on the economy but I doubt you would encounter many of those  :-\

Offline pawl007

• 2nd Gear
Yup thanks a lot for your input and it was 4.7L per 100km combined and I do drive a manual. Interesting data and yes Perth is fairly flat.  Will have to have a closer look at the thread on hypermiling. It could be my driving habits although I thought they were relatively conservative. Every now and then I gun it because I love that surging feeling.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Every now and then I gun it because I love that surging feeling.

I think most CRDi owners do that  :D But even though I did a bit of that I averaged 5.4 LPH in hilly old Tassie  :goodjob:

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
My manual transmission CDRi - 12 months old - 4.8 L/100K along the coast of Tasmania. Go up the back blocks and up it goes, come down again and down goes the consumption. The best I've had it was 4.7 on a trip to Launceston from Wynyard at a sedate 80 Km/hr or thereabouts

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
Those yellow stickers are under ideal lab type conditions, it is the best not the average. I get 7.4 around the streets of Adelaide, but all short 10 kms trips and I do love that accelerate surge :)( auto)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day looking at they Hyundai web site (and it looks like Rodger has gotten the flick.....its all new) the manual is rated at urban 5.7l/100. So 7 around town for a new one wouldn't be too bad.

I get 6l/100 in an auto cw on the freeway (albeit at 120 most of the time)and the combined is 6 and ultra is 4.9
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My manual transmission CDRi - 12 months old - 4.8 L/100K along the coast of Tasmania. Go up the back blocks and up it goes, come down again and down goes the consumption. The best I've had it was 4.7 on a trip to Launceston from Wynyard at a sedate 80 Km/hr or thereabouts

That's interesting as I've said many times on here I could only average 5.4 LPH on the same coast with mine but would never drive at 80KPH all the way from Wynyard to Launceston (100-110kph every chance I get...)

If I just drove on something like the scenic drive from Sulphur Creek to Ulverstone every day at the signposted 60 to 80kph I could have got low 4's (so I guess it depends on where you are driving) :winker:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I just drove hard for one week, crossing the Blue Mountains & driving from Sydney CBD to Katoomba in peak hour traffic in Australia's largest City so traffic is as bad as it gets in Australia, i also went up Mount Victoria as big or bigger than anything in Tassie temps where up in the 30c's. as i said i was driving hard not easy useing gear box and engine Torque i went out west mountains twisties and some flats but not what i'd call flat straight, you need to go another 200k to hit the long flat straights.   then i drove same way back to sydney still not driving for economy i was having enjoyment car felt great handles great with the Mich pilot 3 sport Tyres. then i get home to Sydney after two days away. do the daily drive too & from work with traffic as bad as it gets, filled up yesturday 1,070k got 55L to very top so work that out, but remember it was all fun loved every k of it. I do that run a lot will do it again this week after i have Betsy serviced she has done 15,000k since last service so oil would be getting thicker. will compare with this trip i'll drive just the same .
but if i wantr to drive for economy i can. i drove from Sydney to Melbourne along the coast was 1,047 i put 44L to fill it up just before Emerald @ a BP on main Hwy.
if anyone doubts i'm up for an economy run but i'll expect a wagger. i'd love to take on a 2.0L petrol i30  :D
i think i could do the same economy in any Hyundai i30 CRDi manual.
it's just how you drive.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That latest run works out at 5.14 LPH according to my calculations John.. Still very good in the circumstances..

That Sydney to Melb run was 4.2 LPH :eek:

I tend to think there is some variation in economy and performance Car to Car.. When I drive for economy (which is most of the time.. I use little or no throttle as much as possible and make sure I drive smoothly with gentle acceleration and braking anticipating light changes etc... but could NEVER get below 5.2 LPH for any length of time in our CRDi)

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
That latest run works out at 5.14 LPH according to my calculations John.. Still very good in the circumstances..

I tend to think there is some variation in economy and performance Car to Car.. When I drive for economy (which is most of the time.. I use little or no throttle as much as possible and make sure I drive smoothly with gentle acceleration and braking anticipating light changes etc... but could NEVER get below 5.2 LPH for any length of time in our CRDi)

"What about the Exeter highway" ? full throttle there ha ha    :lol: .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

"What about the Exeter highway" ? full throttle there ha ha    :lol: .

Settle Dear... Remember, I am not allowed to do that! :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Dazz i drive with Cruise control when i went to melb i used cruise control all the way  just not in towns.
also when i drive fast i get speed up then back off hard to explaine. but with cruise control i have to sit on 90KPH for best economy as rev is right were peak Torque starts. but boring driving that distance @ 90kph. i think if i lower car down i could improve on economy, but thats just guessing as have had economy gains in past with lowering cars cust wind resistance, but don't think it will happen as might get new car soon.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi John.. Haven't tried to use cruise at a steady 90KPH (too slow) but at 100 or 110 I can drive more economically with cruise off (not sure if it would be the same in Trish's CW) but in the Hybrid cruise is more aggressive on the accelerator than I am  :eek:

Offline pawl007

• 2nd Gear
I used it for the first time on an a rural road and the economy level improved dramatically. It was averaging around 4.5L per 100km. As it entered the urban traffic it levelled out at approx 7.6L per 100km again. It's still pretty good because the air conditioner was on full (Perth is still as hot as .........) The missus  and I are off in another month and a bit to Kalgoorlie and then Esperance and onto  Denmark. The old girl will really have an opportunity to prove herself then. The car that is not the missus. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The old girl will really have an opportunity to prove herself then. The car that is not the missus. :)

:goodjob: :lol: (Sounds like a good trip.. fairly familiar with WA after five trips to your State)

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
The missus  and I are off in another month and a bit to Kalgoorlie and then Esperance and onto  Denmark. The old girl will really have an opportunity to prove herself then. The car that is not the missus. :)

Beware :eek: Denmark is pretty cold this time of the year. It's late winter with temperature's dropping below 0 degrees celsius, especially at night.
I'm a Danish wiking :goodjob: so for me it's pretty normal :)

Best Regards and have a nice trip
Steen

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Beware :eek: Denmark is pretty cold this time of the year. It's late winter with temperature's dropping below 0 degrees celsius, especially at night.
I'm a Danish wiking :goodjob: so for me it's pretty normal :)

Best Regards and have a nice trip
Steen

Hi Steen and welcome to the Club .. There is a place called Denmark in Australia which is quite a bit warmer... :lol:

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
There are some lucky people aruond the world :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There are some lucky people aruond the world :lol:

To stay on topic: I guess you have a diesel i30 (Great car!)

P.S. Your Denmark can't be too bad "Princess Mary" left the wonderful part of Australia that we live in (Tasmania) to go and live there.. :exclaim:

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Yes I've got an I30 Diesel. My guess is the models are different around the world but it's a 115 bhp "comfort".
Completely standard(for now that is) except for a towning bar.

Denmark is a nice country, yet a bit expensive. 1 liter diesel is around 2 us dollars :scared:, we've got extremely high taxes on cars, not to mension insurance and road taxes :faint:

Anyway, I'VE GOT A GREAT CAR :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
There are some lucky people around the world :lol:

To stay on topic: I guess you have a diesel i30 (Great car!)

P.S. Your Denmark can't be too bad "Princess Mary" left the wonderful part of Australia that we live in (Tasmania) to go and live there.. :exclaim:
i don't think she had a choice in the matter dazz.  :P :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline MelWA

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      W.A.

• MY09, SLX CRDI, Moonlight Blue, 5sp man
Mine's done 11,300km and sits on around 6.5/100 while driving around Perth.  We did a run out to Beverley in November via Brookton Hwy, then back to Perth via York and Gt Eastern Hwy with the a/c going all the time.  I was sitting mostly on the speed limit, except for when I overtook someone at 130 :eek: on Brookton Hwy.  I reset when we left home and when we got back it was on 5.5/100.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine's done 11,300km and sits on around 6.5/100 while driving around Perth.  We did a run out to Beverley in November via Brookton Hwy, then back to Perth via York and Gt Eastern Hwy with the a/c going all the time.  I was sitting mostly on the speed limit, except for when I overtook someone at 130 :eek: on Brookton Hwy.  I reset when we left home and when we got back it was on 5.5/100.

Working away is certainly keeping your mileage down Mel...:eek:

I reckon it was a shame they discontinued the moonlight blue. I saw my old car in town yesterday (first time since it was sold by the car yard) Nice and shiny and I still love that colour :goodjob:

We never saw 6.5 in my CRDi when we had her (probably worst ever was 5.8 and average was 5.4..) but we don't have bumper to bumper traffic down here  :D

Offline BarryD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Milton Keynes
Mine (2 and half years old and 24k miles) has settled on 5.0 / 100 (or 56mpg in old money) for the moment, but it still seems to be slowly creeping up...  I may hit the book figure yet  :goodjob:

Offline tombodombo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      near Melbourne
My 2010 Diesel Manual CW does around 5.5 - 5.7 L/100 for general driving sometimes spiking to 6 for a patch of inefficient driving. Driving from Melbourne to Sydney I managed just under 5 for the return trip.

Trying really hard to keep the revs down and driving at no more than 90km/hour I have managed 4.2 on country drives but generally I am not that patient.

I also noticed a significant improvement around the 8,000 - 10,000 km mark. Before that I was a bit disappointed having previously had a Citroen C4 diesel.

The biggest improvement that I have been able to achieve in my driving, economy wise, is to always slip it into 5th as soon as it can cope.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal