i30 Owners Club

BP Ultimate Diesel in NSW

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
It's here!!!!!!!!!!! Sort of.............

BP has 1, just 1 servo that is currently stocking it...........in Bathurst. (Might be of interest to you Lakes on your trips out west)

I gave BP Customer Service a call after seeing this on their website and have confirmed it isn't a mistake and that it is a 'trial to gauge the market'

Couldn't get anything out of them about when/if it may become more widespread. Might be worth others giving them a hassle too.  :wink:

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
It's here!!!!!!!!!!! Sort of.............

BP has 1, just 1 servo that is currently stocking it...........in Bathurst. (Might be of interest to you Lakes on your trips out west)

I gave BP Customer Service a call after seeing this on their website and have confirmed it isn't a mistake and that it is a 'trial to gauge the market'

Couldn't get anything out of them about when/if it may become more widespread. Might be worth others giving them a hassle too.  :wink:

Regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel, what BP would that be?

I have been going through Mudgee as no traffic lights after Lithgow but will detour through Bathurst if they have BP Ultimate Diesel on tap, i'll also tell my m8 in Orange as his wife has a Focus 2.0 diesel they use BP.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thanks Daniel, thats a small older style Servo, i was expecting the big new BP out b4 showground on the left as you come into Bathurst. but no worries will be better as i will fill up on my return trip i'll let tank go lower before i leave sydney so hopefully get a full tank of ultimate Diesel for Betsy to drink on. see if she is more frisky going up Mount Victoria. also be interesting to see if economy is improved. as i never saw a Gain with Caltex Vortex Diesel, but motor runs nice with it so i just keep useing it butnot from wooly's caltex.
once in a while i use BP diesel seems to go as good for one tank full then i start to notice so next tank go back to Vortex and within about 200k she is back to were she was, just economy not different. in fact i got my best economy ever on Mobile Diesel but was thge way i was driving. i'm driving more for enjoyment now, but know what to do if i want to impress someone. just it's borring.
cheers

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
 Interesting, I have always used BP from the same servo, one that has a high truck clientele, but am constantly wondering why Vortex is up to 9 cents  at lt more expensive. Is it worth the money, what little "goodies" have they added to justify the price differential?

Contacted Caltex to find out what the specs are. Caltex responded with the following:
 I note that there is no mention of a  "Bio Diesel" percentage.  :-\

"Apart from the additives in Vortex Diesel, all the other properties of the fuel are the same as our "ordinary" Diesel. The Cetane Number of both diesels is typically around 50 - 52 and both products must meet the Australian Specification for Diesel fuel."

and

"the difference between Caltex Diesel and Caltex Vortex Diesel is that Vortex Diesel contains a very effective fuel system cleaner (particularly injectors), and an anti-foam (to promote speedier filling), while Caltex Diesel does not. In addition, the Vortex Diesel also has a touch of perfume, to make it smell more pleasant if you accidentally spill some on yourself"...

I did a quick look online and found this comment from a WA enthusiast.:

My company car is a Colorado LTR diesel, and we have caltex cards (so no choice in fuel outlet). In June last year I had the 20K service done, 2 days later refuelled with the then "brand new" Vortex Diesel, and did a run from Perth to Albany (about 400Km) - note that this was a work trip, so no van on the back. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got an instant 1l/100Km improvement in consumption compared to previous similar runs (Geraldton & Kalgoorlie - both sans van). The improvement has continued - around the 10l/100Km around town and high 8s/low 9s on an unladen run - low 11s towing.

Thought it might have been a tweak at service, but a colleague from the Netherlands reported similar in his "Captiva" (or the Opel equivalent). Must be the fuel.

Also,this link has a bit more info (spiel) and a location finder for those chasing the Vortex Premium.
 http://www.caltex.com.au/PRODUCTSANDSERVICES/Pages/ProductDescription.aspx?ID=1786

I am waiting for my tune box and data reader, then I will test a few fuels and see how they stack up.

Cheers
  Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Elle B... I love the way you go straight to the source (were you a researcher in another life?)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
No not really, but no point is stuffing around....may as well go straight to the source where possible and then cross check that where necessary.

However, since you mention it, I am constantly researching in this life, for the next...

" I am, the way, the truth and the life, nobody comes to the Father except by me".-John 14 : 6

In the big picture it does not matter jot if we drive a Hyundai or not, petrol or diesel,  live in the UK, Serbia or here in Aust...   we will all end up facing judgement and it will not be about who got the best economy or the had most posts!!!    :rofl:

Actually it will be no laughing matter... :eek:

Cheers

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
No not really, but no point is stuffing around....may as well go straight to the source where possible and then cross check that where necessary.

However, since you mention it, I am constantly researching in this life, for the next...

In the Sniper community there's a saying: "The sniper who has nothing to learn, has nothing to live for, and will very quickly die."

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In the big picture it does not matter jot if we drive a Hyundai or not, petrol or diesel,  live in the UK, Serbia or here in Aust...   we will all end up facing judgement and it will not be about who got the best economy or the had most posts!!!    :rofl:

Jeepers... You're a lot "deeper" than me.. :confused:

Don't suppose the oil or filter you use will have much bearing on whether you go up or down either.. :P

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
 :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:

Good Call.. you made me laugh!!

I could  add some more  ...  along the "filter' line of thinking... but   :idea:

My head is doing other work stuff right now  .. so   will just acknowledge your quip!! 

:D 
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm not a god fearing person,more of a wife fearing person.  :scared: :lol:  but you do have a good point ElleB.  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
He (or she) who dies with the most toys.... still dies!!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
:goodjob: :razz:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
is ultimate diesel a premium style of diesel? my cars are petrol so that's why I'm not sure as to whats the difference in diesel brands.  :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But they might have a bigger smile on their face... :winker:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
When I die, I want to die like my Grandfather did, quietly and in his sleep.  Not screaming and scared like his passengers!!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :rofl: :scared:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
is ultimate diesel a premium style of diesel? my cars are petrol so that's why I'm not sure as to whats the difference in diesel brands.  :confused:

*** Hopefully stopping a bit of thread drift and the possibility of a Holy War  :wink: ***

It is indeed, Caltex Vortex and BP Ultimate Diesel fuels are to Diesel fuel what 95/98 RON is to petrol fuels.  :)

I've also heard about Shell having 'Diesel Extra' but from the looks of things it isn't available to the general public and is targetted towards transport trucks and the mining industry. I don't know if it is the same as the premium Diesel fuel Shell has over in Pommyland or not.

Regards

Daniel

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanks for the reply Daniel.  :razz:  

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I use Vortex, but don't pay any more for it, infact the servo I use on the way home is cheaper than just about every other one, normal or not.

I don't notice the difference, but in saying that I suspect that all Caltex servo's in the south of Brisbane are selling Vortex regardless of how it is branded. There have been a couple of times I have fuled up at a caltex servo (caltex fuel card) and it has been labeled as normal diesel, but smelt and behaved the same as vortex.

That said, my servo used to sell normal, i fueled up one day and thought jees that smells like vortex and within a month they had converted. Before this I used to muck around looking for the cheapest vortex selling place nearby.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
2i30s, yes BP Ultimate Diesel is a premium diesel i'm guessing it is a summer or a one year round mix. but as i said i'm guessing, reason i think this is it was first avadible in Australia in WA, now it's in SA QLD so all warm states no ski fields. now i think they are putting there toe in to test it in NSW up Bathurst. but just a guess. probably wrong.
did not get out that way this weekend but will next week & will fill Betsy up on it.
ElleB you are full of enthusiasm m8, good on you.be good to see how your tunning box goes.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its possible ultimate diesel could glug up in colder areas,that's why its only sold in warm areas.  :idea: my father has told me about an alpine diesel mix that wont glug up if you go into the snow.   sorry if I've gone off topic a bit.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
its possible ultimate diesel could glug up in colder areas,that's why its only sold in warm areas.  :idea: my father has told me about an alpine diesel mix that wont glug up if you go into the snow.   sorry if I've gone off topic a bit.
don't happen here now m8 i've driven to alpine region in winter with i30. all the diesel has a summer & winter blend doubt this would glug up as they use BP Ultimate diesel in euro, i'm just thinking out loud, reason could be were refinery that makes BP Ultimate diesel is. this ultimate diesel does not foam up as much keeps injectors clean.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I went to the BP servo they told Daniel that has Ultimate Diesel but they just have normal BP Diesel  was cheaper than vortex diesel $1.54.9 i could tell it was not premium as it throths a lot more than vortex filling up. was not ultimate on the pump just diesel, and docket said BP Diesel. so still no ultimate in NSW

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I went to the BP servo they told Daniel that has Ultimate Diesel but they just have normal BP Diesel  was cheaper than vortex diesel $1.54.9 i could tell it was not premium as it throths a lot more than vortex filling up. was not ultimate on the pump just diesel, and docket said BP Diesel. so still no ultimate in NSW

Lakes

Apologies for the bum steer mate. Might be worth putting a complaint in to BP!

I guess we just keep waiting then.........

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
No worries Daniel, i got a chance to prove to myself how well i know my car and fuel useage. like when i reached 960k the other week and fuel light came on i only added 30Litre to the tank as i thought roughly the k's i would do going to & from work for two days in syd, then the trip out west then getting to that BP in bathurst with just enough fuel to spare. well when i put the 30lt's in i had no way of knowing how much the tank had in it but fuel light was on. put the 30lts in then drove 575k's some city comuting the rest country hills mountains plains rough roads. as i hit Bathurst right at the first 60kph sign the fuel light came on, i put 54lt's in to fill right to the brim. ( just a note, that servo uses high flow pumps )
also note, daylight saving just ended here & autum is with us but temps late that day were 26c & sunny.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Interesting, I have always used BP from the same servo, one that has a high truck clientele, but am constantly wondering why Vortex is up to 9 cents  at lt more expensive. Is it worth the money, what little "goodies" have they added to justify the price differential?

Contacted Caltex to find out what the specs are. Caltex responded with the following:
 I note that there is no mention of a  "Bio Diesel" percentage.  :-\

"Apart from the additives in Vortex Diesel, all the other properties of the fuel are the same as our "ordinary" Diesel. The Cetane Number of both diesels is typically around 50 - 52 and both products must meet the Australian Specification for Diesel fuel."

and

"the difference between Caltex Diesel and Caltex Vortex Diesel is that Vortex Diesel contains a very effective fuel system cleaner (particularly injectors), and an anti-foam (to promote speedier filling), while Caltex Diesel does not. In addition, the Vortex Diesel also has a touch of perfume, to make it smell more pleasant if you accidentally spill some on yourself"...

I did a quick look online and found this comment from a WA enthusiast.:

My company car is a Colorado LTR diesel, and we have caltex cards (so no choice in fuel outlet). In June last year I had the 20K service done, 2 days later refuelled with the then "brand new" Vortex Diesel, and did a run from Perth to Albany (about 400Km) - note that this was a work trip, so no van on the back. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got an instant 1l/100Km improvement in consumption compared to previous similar runs (Geraldton & Kalgoorlie - both sans van). The improvement has continued - around the 10l/100Km around town and high 8s/low 9s on an unladen run - low 11s towing.

Thought it might have been a tweak at service, but a colleague from the Netherlands reported similar in his "Captiva" (or the Opel equivalent). Must be the fuel.

Also,this link has a bit more info (spiel) and a location finder for those chasing the Vortex Premium.
 http://www.caltex.com.au/PRODUCTSANDSERVICES/Pages/ProductDescription.aspx?ID=1786

I am waiting for my tune box and data reader, then I will test a few fuels and see how they stack up.

Cheers
  Elle B

Elle B most people seem to agree BP fuel petrol or diesel, seems to be fairly uniform ( like not many complaine about bad BP fuel ) also they say BP garantee there fuel, i've just been told this i don't know for sure. were as with Caltex you can get good and bad fuel place to place.
just i've never had bad fuel from the place i mostly fill up at in 25 years going there with same owner runing the servo & my car likes the vortex they sell so i'll stick to it. but i have no hard proof it is better, i think the only real way to know is to pull the fuel pump apart & look or pull head off inspect motor, but not likely to ever do this!as will buy a new car.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
As i have noticed when i stray from Caltex Vortex Diesel to normal diesel in the past then fill up with vortex after say 250k i start to notice motor slightly smoother & more responce. well i filled with normal BP as i said and now have 250K up at first could not notice a difference at all but now after 250k i can notice not quite as responcive as with my local Caltex Vortex diesel. could be the cleaner the vortex has in it, but just guessing. but winter is coming on and the motor will run different again to what it did in summer. these are very slight differences but i notice them. probably from years of raceing and tuning to race motors. the timing equipment at track confirms what i feel, or the Dyno. but dyno's don't always tell the true story, the track timing equipment does. but this is just my transport  to work, still i like betsy to run sweet.

Offline Gwandad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Lakes, not trying to be a smart a#se, but you said you put in 54 litres & my understanding (paperwork only) that the tank capaciyt is 53 litres. If this is true, then the servo is ripping you off. Do I have my facts ballsed up?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal